Psionic and new enemies

[size=24pt]the new enemies have been moved to another thread[/size] http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5185.0

the idea i had for Psionics is for a character to be able to manipulate things with his own mind.
Psionic is gain from a mutation called potential or a experimental bionic.

Psionics while powerful have downsides such as mental pain and exhaustion including going unstable witch may cause the player high risk.

a Psionic acts similar to a skill where it starts weak but through more use or getting stimulant it become stronger. they have several stages proto, weak, average, advanced, master, (unstable)
you can have more than one Psiconic but with increased risk of one becoming unstable
current power ideas

Psi: luminosity: you can now manipulate light:
proto: you can create small little bursts of light at a distance at night it will draw near by enemies to it.

weak: you can create bursts of light and you can generate a light field reveling things around you in the dark.

average: you can create a burst of light similar to a flash grenade that will stun things in rage of it you can also generate a field of darkness around you keeping you hidden from some creatures does not work on things with night vision or machines.

advanced: your burst of light will deal burn damage to things in it and stun them, you can create a field of darkness that only you can see in but things with IR can still see you. you also can now shot small lasers that do small amounts of damage.

Master: you can make a darkness that nothing can see through but you can see out of it, you can fire lasers that can melt through even metals,

Unstable: power lock: your power will some times be locked and your unable to use it. subconscious bursts: you will sometimes use your powers randomly. fade: your body will begin to fade into light particles and you will die.

Psi chrono: you can manipulate time and therefore space:

proto: you can put food into a time stasis persevering them for one day.

weak: you can persevere food for two days, slow down time to slow the movements of others and to make dodging easier.

average stasis last 3 days. you can now put a stasis lock on enemies keeping them locked in place. also can keep traps for going of so you can safely navigate it.

advance: stasis last 4 days. you can also now momentarily suspend time freezing things in mid action can be used to preform a double throw of objects the this will deactivate if you try moving.

master: stasis lasts 5 days now time decay/wind up you can speed selected things up causing crops to grow faster and you can reduce walls and enemies do dust. (warning the meat from animals hit by this will be rotten.)

Ustable: power lock: your power will some times be locked and your unable to use it. subconscious bursts: you will sometimes use your powers randomly. time decay: your powers will eat your life span.

Psi:Singularity:

proto: you can create small flux that don’t really do anything.

weak: you can create a dimensional flux that does a small amount of damage things near the center of the flux get pushed out wards things at the edge get pulled towards the center. rift storage 10 objects no wight restriction

average: your flux’s damage and size increased can now pull/push bigger and heavier objects. you can now perform a small displacement jump you warp to a selected spot that is a shot distance away. rift storage 50 objects

advanced: your flux now pulls things in getting bigger over time before exploding pushing things away. your displacement jumps range increased. you can now create a defensive rift absorbing projectiles then firing them back at there owner. rift storage 100 objects

Master.your flux’s range and damage are increased and it will no longer harm you, your displacement jump range increased and created a sub skill called phase putting you on a separate plan allowing you to pass through objects and avoid damage. your defensive rift can absorb enemies before launching them out again. rift storage you can store up to 150 objects

unstable powerlock, fade, limb displacement, subconscious bursts: (only when phase or displacement jumping) you can receive damage to a part of your body or accidentally kill your self with it. explosion: you turn into a giant explosion.

psi telekinesis: one of the most powerful Psi very rare and very hard to control

proto: increases the force around your hand to deal a devastating punch or reduce the damage from enemies hits

weak: crush things with your bare hand stop attacks from hitting you with a wall of force.

average: pick up heavy object as if they wight nothing and chuck them at a speed faster than a bullet. break down walls with a kick with no damage to your self reflect bullets and other attacks.

advanced: you can now use your power at a distance. bounce zombies and other enemies around the roomcreate an orbiting shield from chunks of metal and rock or pull objects to you.

master: create things without needing the tools dismantle robots and other things, you can also float. gather up force to unleash a shock wave of force sending things flying. reverse bullets before they even leave the gun. you can also block radiation.

unstable: your body or surroundings will sometimes begin to mutate due to a subconscious though, your power will also randomly throw things around. if it grows to unstable your body will do several things distort becoming a thing not of physical nature you will technically die but if you have another character in that world they might encounter it as an enemy (can only be killed by praying or a certain Melody) or you will explode like a nuke leaving a creator in that world.

1 Like

Sorry no psionics, but might be a good mod.

Besides the Unstable level of ability, perhaps your powers also attract otherworldly abominations. You hallucinate in your waking hours; you’re ambushed while you sleep. You wake up in a different spot miles away. Insanity begins to bleed into the world, turning NPCs into murderous/arsonist Dreamers (with access to firearms).

Also, if we’re talking about powers, why not have some more support abilities?

Third Eye: Reveals an area of the world map (scales from 1x1 square to 3x3 square). Also alerts all enemies in selected tiles to your exact location.

Recall: Travel to a previously marked point (can be wildly inaccurate; accuracy scales with tier)

Organic Equilibrium: Diffuses a percent of damage from one bodily section to all other sections (percentage increases with tier)

Entropic Warding: For x number of turns, all worn clothing is immune to damage until the end of the duration. After the duration, a random number of pieces (number decreases with skill) suffer automatic deterioration.

Phasing: For x number of turns, the character is immune to any physical impediment to movements. At higher masteries, the characters may walk through a limited number of solid tiles. Exiting phasing in a solid tile is instant death.

Mind Tap: Psychically lobotimize another NPC (or sentient being) to regain Power; this exhausts the player enormously and makes his mood plummet through guilt (you absorb their doubts and fear as well). Penalties decrease with mastery level.

We’ve disscussed psi abilities, and we said no.

Good to know were all in agreement.

Thanks again for clearing us up on the state of our own opinions.

You basically covered most Yeek classes in Tales of Maj Eyal with that wall of text.
Which is a swords and wizards roguelike.
I’m sorry swords, wizards, and psionics roguelike.

Yeah having innate magical abilities is a big No No.

Some of them could make it as artifact effects, but even then, some seem extremely overpowered.

Hahahaha, “No psionics, WE’RE ALL TOTALLY AGAINST THAT!”

But being able to mutate, literately, into an elf…

hahahahahahahahaha stay fucking classy Cataclysm community.

Well the fact that magic is already in the game is does not mean that we cant oppose to more magical things making themselves into the game.

There’s nothing magical about the elf-a mutation category. It just happens to be named as such because presumably the originating researcher thought the results reminded them of Tolkien.

It’s enhanced humanity spiced with a hint of plant-creature. No magic.

[quote=“Clayton, post:8, topic:4896”]Hahahaha, “No psionics, WE’RE ALL TOTALLY AGAINST THAT!”

hahahahahahahahaha stay fucking classy Cataclysm community.[/quote] Yes, yes we will.

Well not magical, “fantastical” is a better term. Still elf-a does clash a little bit with the rest of mutagens, even if it operates in the same way as the rest of them

[quote=“Rivet, post:10, topic:4896”]There’s nothing magical about the elf-a mutation category. It just happens to be named as such because presumably the originating researcher thought the results reminded them of Tolkien.

It’s enhanced humanity spiced with a hint of plant-creature. No magic.[/quote]

Exactly what I thought. Thanks for confirming my feelies, Rivet.

[quote=“Clayton, post:8, topic:4896”]Hahahaha, “No psionics, WE’RE ALL TOTALLY AGAINST THAT!”

hahahahahahahahaha stay fucking classy Cataclysm community.[/quote]
Clayton I like you and all but can you kindly fuck off and stop bring this stuff up in topics that dont require it. By doing that you just poison the forums more by bring it to other areas.

OP looking over your post it looks nice but I feel like it wont fit in cata. Again I say it make it in as a mod but certainly not in the main game.

I think it fits.

I’m gonna agree with Rivet and add that I was under the impression that things were called/named what they would be called in “real life.” Like the zombies aren’t traditional zombies raised from the dead by some witch doctor, but we still call them zombies because that’s what they most closely resemble. Graboids would only be called that if you saw the movie and then happened to see a giant worm thing tunneling through the ground and popping up to eat people, that sort of thing.

Edit: Oh and I am for psionics as long as there’s a sort of science “human brainpower amplified x times” about it. Plus I want some of those powers.

Actually psyonics is actually a thing.

The brain has small electro-magnetic fields generated from the electrical pulses of thoughts. If you had some sort of battery powered amplification device it wouldn’t be hard to use your thoughts to manipulate metallic objects. The problem is the power used by such a device (solved by UPS) and the brain signal interpreter (we already have memory enhancing bionics, so this isn’t a stretch).

Basically this would work like an electromagnetic hands bionic thing we already have, only you throw the item from the point it stands. So it would be like taking a metal item and throwing it from the point where it was with a good force.

Even though I posted some recommendations, my idea for anything psychically-based is that every use should be an enormous gamble with temporary or permanent consequences, not a chance for death. Getting it through mutation or CBM (or magic?) is certainly up to debate, but would you use psionics (more than so many times per day) if there was a chance of developing brain disorders?

Seizure: Excessive electrical currents in the brain have led to a temporary overload. You lose all motor control for X turns, though you maintain vision and hearing. Take 10%-20% head damage.

Coma: The prolonged strain of continued psychic manipulation was too much to bear. You slip into a dreamless sleep, unable to wake against bodily needs, weather, and even enemy attack. You are completely helpless.

Sensory Assault: Suffer visual/auditory hallucinations. Gain the Poor Hearing and/or Far-/Near-Sighted and/or (Very) Light-Sensitive Traits. Go blind or deaf for X number of turns.

Stroke: You suffer permanent encumbrance to one part of your body at random (+1-2). Also, there is a chance to develop various traits: Psychopath (damaged amygdala), Clumsy, Poor Memory, Forgetful, Pain Resistant, Mood Swings, etc.

[quote=“deadmerits, post:16, topic:4896”]I’m gonna agree with Rivet and add that I was under the impression that things were called/named what they would be called in “real life.” Like the zombies aren’t traditional zombies raised from the dead by some witch doctor, but we still call them zombies because that’s what they most closely resemble. Graboids would only be called that if you saw the movie and then happened to see a giant worm thing tunneling through the ground and popping up to eat people, that sort of thing.

Edit: Oh and I am for psionics as long as there’s a sort of science “human brainpower amplified x times” about it. Plus I want some of those powers.[/quote]

To be fair, don’t we have Zombie Necromancers? I suppose, in reality, the zombies could simply be reproducing through some sort of chemical transfusion, but then why that name?

It doesn’t matter what it was named or why, the common player is going to think, “Oh! I mutated into an Elf! I AM NOW LEGOLES! :D:D:D:D”

But, alas.