Post Your Templates

Hey all! It’s been awhile since I had anything to do with Cataclysm, mostly because I got completely blown out on it. However, this little gem is something that I’ll never completely let go of. I noticed playing today, I’m quite rusty. Actually, really rusty. Rather than giving myself a head start with more points or items via debug menu, I wanted to consult the forums. Basically, I want to hear your builds. Ones that provide a balanced overall existence, change your gameplay style, or are themed, it doesn’t matter. Just something to jump start my rehabilitation process.

Preferably with default trait limits and starting points. I want to have a nice library in my presets. Thanks PLAYA

If you want to use my template…

{“active_mission”:-1,“active_missions”:[],“activity”:{“index”:-1,“invlet”:0,“moves_left”:0,“name”:"",“placement”:[-1,-1],“str_values”:[],“type”:0,“values”:[]},“addictions”:[],“backlog”:{“index”:-1,“invlet”:0,“moves_left”:0,“name”:"",“placement”:[-1,-1],“str_values”:[],“type”:0,“values”:[]},“blocks_left”:1,“cash”:0,“completed_missions”:[],“controlling_vehicle”:false,“dex_cur”:8,“dex_max”:9,“dodges_left”:1,“driving_recoil”:0,“failed_missions”:[],“fatigue”:0,“focus_pool”:100,“frostbite_timer”:[0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0],“grab_point”:[0,0],“grab_type”:“OBJECT_NONE”,“health”:0,“hp_cur”:[23578088,61696,23577812,-1,23578104,2009095316],“hp_max”:[2008950712,-1,2009088298,2009080330,0,1],“hunger”:0,“illness”:[],“in_vehicle”:false,“int_cur”:8,“int_max”:9,“inv”:[],“invcache”:[{“1st_aid”:[107]},{“bottle_plastic”:[118]},{“cranberries”:[106]},{“dayquil”:[110]},{“flashlight”:[114]},{“flyer”:[101]},{“glasses_safety”:[115]},{“jacket_light”:[105]},{“jug_plastic”:[116]},{“lighter”:[111]},{“matches”:[]},{“mossberg_500”:[122]},{“pants_leather”:[102]},{“pockknife”:[100]},{“pot”:[117]},{“press”:[]},{“protein_powder”:[109]},{“rock”:[108]},{“vest”:[103]}],“learned_recipes”:[],“ma_styles”:[],“male”:true,“max_power_level”:0,“morale”:[],“moves”:100,“mutations”:[“ADDICTIVE”,“ANIMALEMPATH”,“BADHEARING”,“FASTLEARNER”,“FASTREADER”,“FORGETFUL”,“LIGHTSTEP”,“PACKMULE”,“SELFAWARE”,“TRIGGERHAPPY”,“TRUTHTELLER”],“my_bionics”:[],“oxygen”:0,“pain”:0,“per_cur”:8,“per_max”:8,“pkill”:0,“player_stats”:{“damage_healed”:0,“damage_taken”:0,“headshots”:0,“squares_walked”:0},“posx”:234881025,“posy”:23577856,“power_level”:0,“profession”:“student”,“radiation”:0,“recoil”:0,“scent”:500,“skills”:{“archery”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“barter”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“bashing”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“carpentry”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“computer”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:2},“cooking”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“cutting”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“dodge”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“driving”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“electronics”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:2},“fabrication”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:2},“firstaid”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“gun”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“launcher”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“mechanics”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“melee”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“pistol”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“rifle”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“shotgun”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“smg”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“speech”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“stabbing”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“survival”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:2},“swimming”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“tailor”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“throw”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“traps”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0},“unarmed”:{“exercise”:0,“istraining”:true,“lastpracticed”:0,“level”:0}},“stim”:0,“str_cur”:8,“str_max”:8,“style_selected”:“style_none”,“temp_conv”:[5000,5000,5000,5000,5000,5000,5000,5000],“temp_cur”:[5000,5000,5000,5000,5000,5000,5000,5000],“thirst”:0,“traits”:[“ADDICTIVE”,“ANIMALEMPATH”,“BADHEARING”,“FASTLEARNER”,“FASTREADER”,“FORGETFUL”,“LIGHTSTEP”,“PACKMULE”,“SELFAWARE”,“TRIGGERHAPPY”,“TRUTHTELLER”],“underwater”:false,“worn”:[]}

Stats IIRC:

STR: 8
DEX: 9
INT: 9
PER: 8

Addictive, Animal Empathy, Bad Hearing, Fast Learner, Fast Reader, Forgetful, Lightstep, Packmule, Self Aware, Triggerhappy, Truth Teller.

It is supposed to be me. Hope you like me.

My “default” build is (mostly) based off Ekarus (my… We’ll go with “Character” to avoid weirding folks out) who I tried to design after me. With what’s available in cataclysm to start with here’s what I picked:

Str: 10
Dex: 8
Int: 9
Per: 11

Cannibal, Forgetful, Heavy Sleeper, Pack Mule, Tough, Thick-Skinned, Ugly, Trigger Happy
Security Guard
Point into: Computers, Cooking, Electronics, Fabrication, Rifles, Survival
Three Points (Two “notches”) into: Firearms, First Aid

So yeah, until there’s an “Overweight” Trait, it’s something of an Ekarus+ XD

Cannibal’s probably my favorite trait to pick outta all of them mainly because it not only gives access to a nice food supply if you’re playing with NPCs (even if you aren’t) but it eliminates the morale penalty for killing children or “innocent” NPCs. Sometimes I trade out the Security Guard profession for Shower Victim and some extra points in Mechanics and Archery but Security Guard is most accurate from a “Character” standpoint.

I need to draw Ekarus some day. It would be awesome.

Also, what do you guys thin? It is better to give more points to PER or to DEX?

[quote=“StopSignal, post:4, topic:3894”]I need to draw Ekarus some day. It would be awesome.

Also, what do you guys thin? It is better to give more points to PER or to DEX?[/quote]

I go with Perception solely because that’s where I’m stronger XD Frankly it’s a wonder I can tie my shoes sometimes. As far as drawing Ekarus is concerned I’d be flattered XD

Going totally just a bit off topic, you have a full drawing of him?

I’m currently at work so I can’t give specifics but I tend to build melee players. I usually take scoundrel as a profession. Near sighted, heavy sleeper, bad hearing and ugly for negative traits. Quick, fleet footed and night vision for positive traits. Any left over points get pumped into strength, and dex. I try to have 14 str when possible. I don’t put any points into skills. I feel like they’re wasted there.

You inspired me, my next character is going cannibal. I hate that morale penalty for killing npc’s. With as often as they rob me, or try to rob me, none of them are innocent.

[quote=“StopSignal, post:4, topic:3894”]I need to draw Ekarus some day. It would be awesome.

Also, what do you guys thin? It is better to give more points to PER or to DEX?[/quote]

DEX is by far a more valuable skill, for ranged builds especially but also in general for everyone.

I almost always pick Hobo so I can have the stats and traits (at least 11 STR, at least 12 DEX, Night Vision, Quick are musts for me) I want, and I find that if you dont find some scientist corpses or something or the stuff you need to purify water, it is super-tough. You can’t drink too much or you’ll start throwing up, but if you dont drink, you can’t fight. I end up having to run maybe 10 characters to get one that finds a pot/purification tabs/ whatever by day 1, since once you put down the bottle you’re basically incapable of fighting for about 4 days- so its OK to starve but if you dont have water you will have to do stuff like drink wine or vinegar.

Actually, most houses have pots in the cabinets I’ve found. That’s a welcome change since I’ve been gone (at least I assume that’s when it got implemented). Also, I’m getting more accustomed to the game. I managed to make it to late summer playing as Ekarus (On the second day, I found a house with a metric ass-ton of guns and ammo in the bedroom. It pretty much carried me through most of my life. Then I died fighting a large amount of rats in a cave. Not from bites though, radiation. I spawned in a geiger counter and my rad count was in the two-thousands.)

[quote=“keldoclock, post:9, topic:3894”][quote=“StopSignal, post:4, topic:3894”]I need to draw Ekarus some day. It would be awesome.

DEX is by far a more valuable skill, for ranged builds especially but also in general for everyone.

I almost always pick Hobo so I can have the stats and traits (at least 11 STR, at least 12 DEX, Night Vision, Quick are musts for me) I want, and I find that if you dont find some scientist corpses or something or the stuff you need to purify water, it is super-tough. You can’t drink too much or you’ll start throwing up, but if you dont drink, you can’t fight. I end up having to run maybe 10 characters to get one that finds a pot/purification tabs/ whatever by day 1, since once you put down the bottle you’re basically incapable of fighting for about 4 days- so its OK to starve but if you dont have water you will have to do stuff like drink wine or vinegar.[/quote]

I prefer to use prostitute, so you can use the starting crack to loot in the first day at super speed, whereas with hobo your penalized no matter what.

…This sounds painfully similar to my usual games . Though you left out the “Spend Spring and the bulk of summer consuming a city to build a rolling base” part :stuck_out_tongue:

I need to actually sit down and play the game once the stable comes out. Haven’t since June/July. :-/

Will update this as time permits.

Currently playing with a mutation/CBM heavy build, assuming I live long enough to take advantage of both:

STR: 10
DEX: 10
INT: 12
PER: 11
(I basically had a point going spare, so I added 1 PER to be able to wear headgear and still see landmines before they blow my legs off.)

Good Traits:
Robust Genetics
Fast Reader
Night Vison (Basically just to mutate it, but it’s good anyway.)
Light Step (With a crowbar and Night Vision, night-time looting’s a breeze.)
Quick (Speed is paramount.)

Didn’t take fast healer / learner as I usually do, because I wanted a slightly more interesting and less min/max’y character.

Bad Traits:
Glass Jaw (Player HP is already so high this hardly matters.)
Insomniac (Drugs are great.)
Chemical Imbalance (Just for flavour; gives the character a bit of his own personality. The points are nice to have, anyway.)
Trigger Happy (Doesn’t go off very often, and if you’ve lived long enough to have access to automatic weaponry, you’ve probably got bigger problems.)
Poor Hearing (Makes no discernible difference to me.)
Bad Back (Get a shopping cart / bicycle / whatever.)
Weak Stomach (Don’t eat bad food, silly.)

Profession: Chain Smoker. An extra point for a very mild and controllable addiction. Smokes are everywhere.

Not very far into this game, but I just found two mutagen flasks and got +2 Strength & High Night Vision for the price of an ugly mug and an even weaker stomach. Good trade-off, if you ask me. I did have to burn down two houses to get away from the Triffid Grove that was right on top of my evac shelter, but this looks like it’ll be a fun little game.

Str: 10 Dex: 10 Int: 9 Per: 9
Negative Traits: Ugly/Truth Teller/Trigger Happy/Glass Jaw (most of these, besides glass jaw, are considered weak/harmless traits for netting (9) extra points…)

Positive Traits: Quick/Packmule/Disease Resistant/Night Vision/Self Aware (this takes all 9 points and allows no profession/skills)

OR

I’ll take Quick/Packmule/Night Vis and put the 2 points saved from ditching disease resist/self aware into 1 melee 1 bashing for a little bit of early melee stability…

Other stuffs I consider helpful: Gourmand/Optimist (can lead to stat bonuses), Masochist, Quick + Fleet Footed, also Poison Resist is valuable because I’ve found that most poison is pretty deadly…

Good skills to start with: Marksmanship 1 (for installing gun modifications), Mechanics (for fixing cars), First Aid/Dodge (for better survivability, though neither help once your speed reduces too much from damage…)

Those are my (possibly flawed) thoughts on character creation :slight_smile:

STR 10
INT 10
DEX 9
PER 9

Bad:
Addictive Personality
Lightweight
Trutch Teller

Good:
Night Vision
Fast Healer
Quick

And the last point into Dodging.

Since I don’t ever use drugs (IRL and ingame) my negative traits don’t even bother me.
I usually build a sling early on and stick with it until I get the pneumatic assault rifle. For bigger enemies I like to carry a big handgun. Also a small bashing/cutting weapon for hard times.

8 in all stats, tailor profession, that’s all I need.

But if we’re not wasting points I suppose, gourmand, fast healer and self aware.

Typical build:
STR:10
INT:10
DEX:10
PER:10

Traits:
Addictive personality, Lightweight, Trigger Happy, Heavy Sleeper, Jittery, Truth Teller
Quick, Robust genetics, Martial arts(karate usually)
Any left over points go for either professions or occasionally skills.

Build roughly based on IRL me:
STR:7
DEX:7
PER:12

Trigger Happy, Heavy Sleeper, Jittery There are more negatives to IRL but there’s no traits that really match.
Quick, fleet footed, Gourmand(I’d say this is more negative than positive)

[quote=“Caconym, post:18, topic:3894”]Typical build:

Traits:
Addictive personality, Lightweight, Trigger Happy, Heavy Sleeper, Jittery, Truth Teller

INT:12

Trigger Happy, Heavy Sleeper, Jittery There are more negatives to IRL but there’s no traits that really match.
Quick, fleet footed, Gourmand(I’d say this is more negative than positive)[/quote]

IRL INT 12? Explain me the String Theory.

[quote=“StopSignal, post:19, topic:3894”][quote=“Caconym, post:18, topic:3894”]Typical build:

Traits:

INT:12

Quick, fleet footed, Gourmand(I’d say this is more negative than positive)[/quote]

IRL INT 12? Explain me the String Theory.[/quote]
Sure thing! :stuck_out_tongue:
I didn’t think 12 would be that high, should be more 10 or 11 at most then.