NPCs and stairs

since the topic I could find the closest info on is 120+ days old, I am just asking if anyone knows about NPC development for crossing stairs? I can’t wrap my head around programming (it’s more my girlfriend’s thing) and I’d really like to have an NPC accompany me in the Locked Lab scenario (partly because of the lack of food in the labs lol)

Your inteding to eat your companion?
Hmmm I never thought of them as self preserving food but i guess that would work.

I have been constantly coming at the Locked Lab scenario thinking of ways to survive the longest I can, and yes, food that protects me up until the final moment is one of the methods.

AFAIK other than the small amount currently going on to get us new z-levels there hasn’t been any development on that front. Z-levels are a place where the current code gets rather bad, and stairs are probably the absolute worse part of that code that currently exists.

Warning: OT post:

I WILL escape, you’ll see! Surviving for long is a fool’s ploy.
Since setting the top lvl on fire and hoping the walls & doors will fall down is not working (since i die first if i stay on top, and the fire does not progress if i go below),i have thought of another way! (not revealing it)

PS. Lab challenge is FUN

[quote=“jcd, post:5, topic:7350”]Warning: OT post:

I WILL escape, you’ll see! Surviving for long is a fool’s ploy.
Since setting the top lvl on fire and hoping the walls & doors will fall down is not working (since i die first if i stay on top, and the fire does not progress if i go below),i have thought of another way! (not revealing it)

PS. Lab challenge is FUN[/quote]

Oh I’ve escaped a ton of times, my first time doing lab had a teleporter in the starting room, and I used it until I was outside. Second way was an NPC at start wanted me to kill a Jabberwock, which I accepted because YOLO, and then it busted through the wall, NPC killed it. Third was most confusing, as it was the first time I encountered the flaming eyeball.

flaming eyeball top floor? or was it outside the lab… Either way, amazing luck.
NPC IN the lab at start??? this don’t sound correct to me.
Teleporter in starting room, also amazing luck. EDIT - You probably meant teleport pad… this is valid, but making it too easy…

I was thinking of making a trapper char, find, disarm and disassemle a teleport pad (will also have to get a soldering iron - they spawn in bedrooms)
then use the resulting teleporter to escape… if the turret, critters or starvation don’t get me first.

but i would really like to successfully do ‘fire’ escape, where you set it on fire, then escape during the inferno through the broken walls…

I’ve only done the Lab start once, and I spawned in a turret room. The RNGods obviously didn’t like it when I took the start so I’ve just been doing the burning building start.

Wall is not a problem. Juz light it up, wait in the next room and run through the raging fire like in the Xollywood movies.
The most difficult part is how to deal with the turret on G/F…

I usually let my NPC companion deal with it= v =