New Nether Critters

[quote=“TaigaR, post:20, topic:12271”]No one talks about so popular things as ufos and aliens.

It could be extremely rare to find a gray little man near the crater with broken, extremely radioactive gear with little or no charges, without the possibility to fix it or reload. After you kill him, he turns on the self destruction (hi, predator) so you probably better run![/quote]

Topic title : New Nether Critters

“Nobody talks about aliens”

What about Nether aliens? DUN DUN DUHHH

What the heck would be the point of that? A self-destructing enemy who has absolutely nothing of interest? Not to mention that this has nothing to do with the existing lore.
[hr]
I like the suggestions about heat-based monsters (e.g. the ones that create fields of high/low temperatures or use heat-based attacks.) Do we have anything like that right now?

What the heck would be the point of that? A self-destructing enemy who has absolutely nothing of interest? Not to mention that this has nothing to do with the existing lore.
[hr]
I like the suggestions about heat-based monsters (e.g. the ones that create fields of high/low temperatures or use heat-based attacks.) Do we have anything like that right now?[/quote]

While I happen to agree regarding the lore part, I will say that including “enemy which leaves no reward” is totally fine by me in general.

Cthulhu exists so I can punch out Cthulhu, not so I can run Cthulhu’s pockets afterwards.

Regarding temperature, there are a few enemies that deal fire, or create fire, but to the best of my knowledge there’s nothing that’s just generally a heat source. At best you might get some emergent behaviour with a grappler zombie near a lava vent.

[quote=“Pantalion, post:24, topic:12271”]While I happen to agree regarding the lore part, I will say that including “enemy which leaves no reward” is totally fine by me in general.

Cthulhu exists so I can punch out Cthulhu, not so I can run Cthulhu’s pockets afterwards.

Regarding temperature, there are a few enemies that deal fire, or create fire, but to the best of my knowledge there’s nothing that’s just generally a heat source. At best you might get some emergent behaviour with a grappler zombie near a lava vent.[/quote]
It’s not so much the “no stuff” as it is the “stuff tease”. If there’s no way to reload or repair it, why have it exist?
[hr]
Hmm… Do we have any damage in the form of extreme cold? Could be interesting. Maybe give ice labs a unique enemy?

I’ve always thought the game lacked horrifying lifeforms that use you to reproduce. Anyway, this is more of a thing that uses symbiosis as opposed to parasitism.
It’s a bulbous, almost pulsating worm with a mouth and six long, thin spider-y legs. It’s very fast, very hard to hit, but also very weak. Upon seeing you, it skitters towards you, and attempts to bite you. If bitten, you begin to feel slow. If bitten in total 5 times, you are completely paralyzed. It then uses it’s legs to pry your mouth open, and crawl down, into your throat, and eventually to your body. Once the venom from the thing wears off, everything feels normal, for a day or two, but you do feel hungrier.
Occasionally, you’ll feel it moving around inside of you, and take a minor morale hit.
Then, you vomit your first child.
Every 3-7 days, maybe more, maybe less, you begin convulsing horribly, and vomit up one of these thing’s larvae. This gives you a big morale hit, as well as losing quite a bit of hunger.
The larvae then flees, far away from you, and will eventually grow into an adult.
This will continue to be birthed from you like this, until it gets removed.
So basically, this parasite worm spider thing makes you it’s living incubator.

BUT, it’s not all bad.
This worm will provide natural painkillers, healing, and adrenaline when it senses it’s host is in danger.
After all, if you were a parasite, you’d do what you could to keep your host alive, right?
Of course, you can’t make it’s chemicals too OP.

agreed they need to expand on other enemy types as it is the game feels like just another typical zombie game. i though the nether and other wierd enemies are what gave this game its flavor not the zombies

zambies are the backdrop.

in recent experimentals i spend less time in city and more roaming the countryside. waters so annoying to get i think i might try to make a workaround for creatures. or like a water tree or something.
digging for water? collecting snow?

anywho, i think the game would do well with a stalker type critter that wouod always follow you, from 30+ tiles away. it would make horrible noises and be grotesque and have a pc_weak anger trigger…

little green men work, as do lanky grey men, as a bit of a wave.

Half life’s beegun. and its little nommy alien weapon.

body horror aliens would likely need hard code to work.

Water is very easy to get if you have a funnel and a tank set up. It fills in all seasons, and even with wasting a ton of water to get myself to fully slaked I’ve never run out.

The water extraction CBM turns water collection into a complete joke, which I’m OK with.

Yea. Ive never installed most of the cbms the game offers. True story, I dont really care for them. Nor their easy installation. Its contradictory to lore and common sense.

If I had the ability to (and Im trying to learn) Id add two robotic hands to MR Stem and force the player to go to the hospital every time they wanted to add, remove, or repair a cbm. And yes, if I had my way, cbms would require maintenance of some kind.

so would Power Armor. And most electronic items.

[quote=“pisskop, post:31, topic:12271”]Yea. Ive never installed most of the cbms the game offers. True story, I dont really care for them. Nor their easy installation. Its contradictory to lore and common sense.

If I had the ability to (and Im trying to learn) Id add two robotic hands to MR Stem and force the player to go to the hospital every time they wanted to add, remove, or repair a cbm. And yes, if I had my way, cbms would require maintenance of some kind.

so would Power Armor. And most electronic items.[/quote]

You could go the Deus Ex route and have some sort of anti-rejection drug the player would have to take somewhat frequently. Might even be able to fit it under the current disease/sickness system. At the extreme end of withdrawl, Prevent CBM’s from working (Continual, significant power drain, maybe?) and cause constant pain to the player, to simulate rejection of the synthetic parts.

I’ve never run CBM’s because I’ve never found enough of them, of any significant value to make the implantation risks worth it. After playing the new Deus Ex though, I’m temped to see how far down the CBM route I can take my current character.

our cbms are not nano machines and ambrosia didnt even had effect on proper augs, only slowed down nano virus called gray death

bur requiring bot to install/remove cbms (maybe even repair) would be sane, requirment of skills to install cbms can be explained by having to program bot to do its job

and now that cbms are localized in player body creating of ocasional damage to some types of cbms in combat doesnt sounds that impossible

for new nether critters i think we need something sentient but not humanoid (and no octopuss or blob, thats not very oryginal)

Nether is magical in nature I assume? Or otherwise runs on alternate physics form our own which can be seen as magic? Trying not to look into spoiler stuff to much in this area, as I’ve not gotten very far into the game yet in these areas, so also forgive me if I drop already existing monsters, but how about:
elementals (I know SOOO original, but they could have a unique spin on them such as actually just giving some explanation for how it is they exist more or less) or as made up of very small bits that pull the element together around them via their continued existance.

Or a better take on this, some sort of being of Pure energy/magic (wisp?)which builds a shell around itself throughout its life (similar to some invertebrates and ocean life here) and strong “hand made” infinitely expandable atomic chains (similar to the Carbon nano-structures we build) and imbued with magic for extra strength and restructuring. Would could look like this:

With the wrappings being a combination of Diamond or whatever hard material it wants, and super flexible under structure manipulated into whatever shape/ orientation the “Soul” hidden within wants it to be. Basically a creature that creates its own body and manipulates it to its whims.

This would mean that based on the “age”, “experience of the inner soul”, “creativity”, and the “available resources” it has to work with, you can have an excuse to make it as high/low leveled as you want within reason. Having them spawn random strengths or have high level ones guarding important areas/items. This also means it can have as long of range of attacks as you want it to without having to worry about player picking up a new super weapon.

A completely editable monster, no excuses needed.

[quote=“Arek_PL, post:33, topic:12271”]our cbms are not nano machines and ambrosia didnt even had effect on proper augs, only slowed down nano virus called gray death

bur requiring bot to install/remove cbms (maybe even repair) would be sane, requirment of skills to install cbms can be explained by having to program bot to do its job

and now that cbms are localized in player body creating of ocasional damage to some types of cbms in combat doesnt sounds that impossible

for new nether critters i think we need something sentient but not humanoid (and no octopuss or blob, thats not very oryginal)[/quote]

I was referring to the newer Deus Ex games, where augmentations are mechanical and Neuropozine is mandatory to keep the body from rejecting it :stuck_out_tongue:

As for a non-humanoid sentient… Like what? Because the first thing to pop into my head was like, giant intelligent crustaceans or something? Because I’m just imagining a race of crab-people working to take over all of earths waterways.

probe:ramshackle critters made of metal scraps that wanderer and upon getting closer to a survivor will shock it and then summon another crude metalic entity,called a sentry.
sentry:as poorly built as the probe,but armed with a low power ranged attack similar to a laser finger cbm,they are tripod shaped and if killed can be dissasembled for a shitty laser weapon or turned into weak but fast firing turrets.

There should be a way that the player turns into one of them. Unwillingly.

How about some sort of inter dimensional tumble weed kind of thing? A semi-sentient gravity well that picks up debris as it rolls along. Bashes into the player, could pick up larger things later on as it gets bigger. To attack it just rams itself at the player but the more space it has to build up speed the more damage it would do. Just a thought.

You know, I thought vortexs were supposed to do that?

What about a creature that releases ‘bubbles’ like fungal creatures release spores, when they pop the have an effect similar to boomers. Getting covered in this ick raises your nether attention.

Creatures that can only spawn so long as nether attention is above a certain threshold. Similar to the evolution mechanic of zombies, but inherently different.

A tag for suitably impossible creatures that makes them immune to none energy related damage (lasers, fire, electricity etc).

A monster that can re-raise dead bodies similar to necromancers. But raises any body and always mutates it into the same creature.

A being that occasionally illuminates the night similar to the lightning weather effect. Being in a certain radius of it as it does so is the same as getting hit with a flashbang.

A creature that travels through soil giant worm style. Instead of engaging in melee it will pop up to periodically unleash a ranged attack before immediately re-submerging. A perfect harasser.

A stone that can be found as nether loot. If activated over a dead body it ‘hatches’ a new, hideous head for the corpse and turns it into a powerful NPC companion. Albeit one that is 100% hostile to human NPCs (vice versa), doesn’t understand commands so well and turns on you if you let it go hungry too long.