New Monster - Shook

Lol that’s my kind of NPC! :smiley: Hopefully he was naked too :wink:

You can butcher them…

Have you… have you PLAYED Cataclysm? The game is 100% in favor of tormenting us, the players. And so far, equipment loss is something that just doesn’t happen. Sure, a rogue spitter can take out the shopping cart you’re using for your current haul. A failed implant can ruin your other bionics. But simple stuff? Once you get a wrench, you have a wrench forever. You will never need to replace that wrench. My current character has eight wrenches because I find them fun to collect.

And collect we do! I bet half the people in this post alone have fortified shelters stacked to the nines with loot! What better way to strike players at their hearts then by adding a creature that EATS THAT LOOT?! Also, the avoidance mechanic ensures that there is now extra motivation for firearms, and given that these things seem fragile, this could finally be a use for all that ratshot I’ve got lying around.

Assuming it doesn’t get eaten.

Have you… have you PLAYED Cataclysm? The game is 100% in favor of tormenting us, the players. And so far, equipment loss is something that just doesn’t happen. Sure, a rogue spitter can take out the shopping cart you’re using for your current haul. A failed implant can ruin your other bionics. But simple stuff? Once you get a wrench, you have a wrench forever. You will never need to replace that wrench. My current character has eight wrenches because I find them fun to collect.

And collect we do! I bet half the people in this post alone have fortified shelters stacked to the nines with loot! What better way to strike players at their hearts then by adding a creature that EATS THAT LOOT?! Also, the avoidance mechanic ensures that there is now extra motivation for firearms, and given that these things seem fragile, this could finally be a use for all that ratshot I’ve got lying around.

Assuming it doesn’t get eaten.[/quote]

…You’ve got a point, though recently I’ve had to start ditching some of the loot I won’t be using anytime soon. (Because really, what the hell is anyone gonna do with eight Internal Furnace Bionics, or Forty Five gallons of Mutigen, or Five Colt 45s?)

This sounds like a pretty good addition to the game, so long as it’s ability to eat stuff isn’t analogous to a black hole.

One question I have is how fast is this thing going to be?
I think it’d be good if it was very difficult to engage in melee combat. Faster than a zombie dog, maybe a good dodge score, so you’d have to throw stuff at it, shoot it, corner it, pin it down with bear traps, or be a road-runner bird mutant martial artist.

How about - it’s rather unappreciated so it tries less to hang around the faces and is more tied to its whereabouts. Also, if it is a master in hiding and crawling it should have one weakness for what it is worth, and maybe it’s randomized like with grown-up human beings, whereas some find that pancake grillin’ scent irresistible; anything so it’s lured back again.

suddenly arrives Do… do I smell pancakes grilling?! :wink:

I just thought it’d be cool to feed it a radio or talking doll so you could track it by sound :stuck_out_tongue: Or if it had a transparent belly you could feed it flashlights or glowsticks to track it by light…

But if you feed it a radio be sure its playing “You Shook Me All Night Long” by AC/DC…

Item quality and durability was something intended to be added, so the ‘items last forever’ argument is actually kind of a temporary one to be made.

I think it’s been changed, but spitters melting into acid pools used to wreck all your stuff on contact. It was rage-inducing if you dropped torso gear to melee.

If these get added, I think there needs to be fair chance we’ll wake up hearing them padding about before they’ve consumed too much. Or perhaps they don’t have entire-inventories worth of appetite, but nip one or two things at any one time?

I certainly do like the thought of opening up monsters like sharks, and finding metal goodies in there. Or goodies in general. Mmm, goodies.

I want to tame a shook so I can just cuddle it and feed it scrap metal.

Oh man! If you could wall one up, you could use it as a garbage disposal! Finally, a way to get rid of those plastic bags!

So its settled. Shook is a must-have-first-priority-shut-up-and-take-my-money thing. Tin cans, aluminium cans and plastic backs. Maybe (rotten) items too. This thing has to happen.

You know rotten food disappears on its own now, right?

Also, this is pretty much a racoon…

Trap a raccoon in your house and throw rotten meat at it to train throwing.

GG, if Shook doesn’t get to shoot angry lasers and brofist the player in the face with rockets, I will be sorely and sincerely disappointed in you.

What… Just what…

In other news, I like the original idea.

http://shook12.deviantart.com/
In all seriousness, though. How about a zoog-like appearance? It seems fitting, to me anyway.

SPOOKY WARNING 2SPOOKY…

Oh man, that is almost EXACTLY what I had in mind. I need to figure out what that is from…

Zoog, from H.P Lovecraft’s mythos.
According to wikipedia, there is The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, where a character meets “a race of predatory and sentient rodents”, the Zoog.
Hope that helps.

Aren’t they the ones that fought with the cats? That was one trippy story.

I haven’t read it, but I really oughta.
Once monsters fighting each other goes in, I can see it fighting with small creatures like cats so it can eat them. I’d like to think both sides stand a chance of coming out on top. Oh, the joy of butchering a Shook, expecting something useful and a halfway digested cat corpse just sliding out.
It’s still good meat, probably.