Near instant spoiling while cooking canned stuff? (deluxe beans n rice)

This is a minor thing, but since I loves me some deluxe beans and rice in the game…

In the past, if you had appropriate meat like canned chicken, you could use it to cook deluxe beans and rice just by having it present (I’d imagine this is similar for other food recipes).

Some time recently that changed and this “auto” behavior no longer works.

You can unload the canned chicken and it changes to “canned chicken (fresh)” - and you can use THAT to make deluxe beans and rice.

However, as soon as it’s done “cooking” it’s spoiled. I’ve tried this a few times with unloading then immediately cooking.

Seems a bit odd that the canned meat goes from canned > fresh > spoiled nearly instantly.

Also, you can still straight up eat canned food without any hassles like unloading it first, so I’m not getting why this behavior was changed for cooking with the same foods.

Cooking with canned stuff is currently off because unlocked cans can’t store their contents when in inventory and vehicles.
Allowing crafting would lead to things spilling on the floor because you crafted with 1 charge out of 4 or something like that.

It would be possible to special case it so that you need to consume all the charges, but this would lead to a weird situation where you can craft 2 units of a thing, but can’t craft 1 unit.

The bug with insta-spoiling is most likely caused by how “preserve” flag math works: it simply prevents rot updates, so as soon as the thing is unloaded, it suddenly experiences all the time it skipped. This one should be easily fixable.
EDIT: Wait, wrong. It does actually take care of that time spent preserved. It must be something else.

Logically thinking of this topic. Making me think if you simply cook the item in the can un-opened…POP! >_<

That maybe why the engine thinks it is spoiled? 0_0

lol

Thanks for the explanation but…this used to work.

Weeks ago if you went to cook beans and rice and had a can of tuna, chicken, salmon, possibly others, it was on the “menu” when you went to craft it, and it’s consume the can of food to make the beans and rice.

PS - as a side note, bless whomever is “fixing” the lights in the vehicle control menu, but right now (5355) the toggles for lights don’t work at and removing/re-inserting lights makes them stuck “on”

[quote=“Voqar, post:4, topic:12336”]Thanks for the explanation but…this used to work.

Weeks ago if you went to cook beans and rice and had a can of tuna, chicken, salmon, possibly others, it was on the “menu” when you went to craft it, and it’s consume the can of food to make the beans and rice.[/quote]

Back then the can system was bonkers. You could open a can of soup and eat half of the can, then store the other half indefinitely since cans were considered to be sealed.
Now cans track their open/close status, which allows things like storing water in cans standing on the floor. But it also means crafting system needs to be more careful.

Groovin and thanks for the responses.

So…when I pop open a can of 4 portions and can’t eat the last 1/4 portion and it is still in my inventory…if I put it down I have to Wield it. But if I DO NOT put it down I can carry it in my volume like any other item. Is this a bug or just engine trying to be nice to the human?

Nice in the sense it doesn’t treat it instantly like gas/water on the ground, where by, you cannot do much if anything with them?

I mean. I LIKE the fact the game doesn’t just dump what I’m eating onto the floor. So my point is, if it is suppose to keep it indefinitely in your pack. GOOD! :slight_smile:

Because it would suck having to eat the whole can there on the spot or wield it. Hmmm…or stash the open container in a “Drink” pocket in one of the back packs or carrying containers(messenger back etc.).

Sorry. I’m thinking this thing out as I type. How about using a few carry containers like a back pack for open soup and multi-portion food items, similar to a fire mans belt holds a crow bar?

Example:

“You cannot store this open container of(presumably food)Food. Options include: Consume / Drop / Use carry container to store with a +1 encumbrance for “trying not to spill it.””

Just a few thoughts.