Moths and other wicked wildlife

So… well, yes. There’s giant mosquitos, some other horribly mutated wildlife and we have no moths.
Let’s imagine them as a friendly fluffy creatures - “Gone with the Blastwave” had one in one of the strips.
And, of course, some analog of Mothra - experimental army weapon which is a gene-modified moth with laser beam in its mouth.

Also, feel free to use this topic as a ground to offer some additions based on the real wildlife. Or maybe not real.
I won’t care if you derail it, however.

I know I posted in that spider thread about spiders being cool little bros…

but moths fucking terrify me. Fluttery little bastards.

Mothra shouldn’t be a problem though-- if we add in Godzirrah.

I now think of your voice as vash12349’s voice.

I will have no remorse nor regrets if I kill you by accident.

The Mothman? A man who mutated to moth or a moth which mutated to man?

Somewhy you reminded me of the crab men from the Fallout 3. Hmm.

Human centipede - dimensional horror from were the sun never shines.

human centipede
not a scientist’s job

There can be yet another ecosystem for the newly formed wildlife, don’t you think?
Altough fusion of dire bugs with nether creatures may prove to be more of a deadly trap than just leaving the whole idea with the psych praying mantis, or a poisonous moth of some sort. One could enter a labyrinth with nether walls around, in the middle of the forest. There could be a Boss, or a Heart once again, that must be taken care of in order to escape the horror.
There could be a bigger pool for spawing such creatures, so yay!

I like the idea of giant moths. They could spawn only at night, and be drawn to any form of light - fire, flashlight, vehicle headlights, etc.

And of course, if you have moths, you’d logically also have caterpillars. They’d spawn in forest areas, and would consume young trees down to undergrowth, potentially stripping pathways through formerly-dense woodland. Once they’ve eaten enough, they climb a tree and spin a chrysalis around themselves, beginning the transformative process to become a moth or butterfly.

Since the chrysalis effectively contains the liquified form of a mutated insect undergoing metamorphosis, it is a highly mutagenic substance which, if harvested, can be drunk as insect mutagen without the need for further chemical processing.

[quote=“vultures, post:9, topic:2947”]There can be yet another ecosystem for the newly formed wildlife, don’t you think?
Altough fusion of dire bugs with nether creatures may prove to be more of a deadly trap than just leaving the whole idea with the psych praying mantis, or a poisonous moth of some sort. One could enter a labyrinth with nether walls around, in the middle of the forest. There could be a Boss, or a Heart once again, that must be taken care of in order to escape the horror.
There could be a bigger pool for spawing such creatures, so yay![/quote]

we should really be able to construct these such abominations ourselves ingame, and then release them to devastate the ecosystem nearby.

No, scratch that-- to further devastate the ecosystem.

Also crap, MarkB stop giving them ideas-- an enemy that’s drawn to light at night? brr.
caterpillars sounds good though-- we could harvest them for silk :smiley:

Thank you oh so much MarkB, now I’m thirsty for mutagen. No, no thank you VERY MUCH!
Homer: “Mmm… concentrated beer…”

[quote=“vultures, post:9, topic:2947”]There can be yet another ecosystem for the newly formed wildlife, don’t you think?
There could be a bigger pool for spawing such creatures, so yay![/quote]
Well, there is giant ants and wasps ingame. They could be invasive and expanding just as fungaloids and triffids.

Yup, there are the evolved and there are mutated beasts. I’m talkin’ 'bout another type of ground to stumble upon, a bipolar riddle of a kind, where nether and real weave the looks and the dangers that be. The labyrinth is something I’ve just happened to pick up from the Triffid variety. My vision is that of introducing a parallelity so to say, and have deception do the work. It’s that I don’t reckon that adding only one more misshapen animal’s gonna do the trick, but foreign entities that mutate the host on specific map tiles that prove to be quite a bit of a challenge - we could have anything, right?
Now when I think of it, this could be a system of introducing some great and epic opponents in the game, that could differ every time you decide to play the game, but only in a long run. They could have their own names, abilities and followers. They could make you feel weak even with the mightiest of power armors and energy blast weapons.

It’s the complexity that I wanna discuss, as there is already a strong backbone to the game and also, there are people that manage what goes in and out of the game.

Thoughts on possible changes and additions to spiders currently ingame:
Wolf spider - these should, arguably, be fastest of ingame spiders and as nocturnal hunters, should spawn only at night. Also, compared to others, they have good sight so they should not only hear and smell, but see too.
Jumping spider - unlike wolf spider, they move slower and are diurnal (daylight) hunters, but still retain good (and I would say even better) eyesight. They would follow the player and telejump them back and forth, like they do now. Interestingly, before jumping the victim, they tethers themselves to the ground with their webbing, so there is always an escape route if attack fails. This coupled with ability to attack their victim from various angles could make them interesting opponents once there are z levels. Like attacking from building wall, roof or high ceiling, and returning back.
Web spider - I think both web spider and black widow should be more of enviromental hazzard/trap then an active enemy. Unlike now, web spider should be more passive and attack only if something gets tangled in their web or is one square away from spider themselves (like widow does now). They would quickly run up the victim and alternate between injecting venom and entagling their victims even more. Entagling is dangerous as it is pretty much instant death to your character, so better just to avoid them. It would be cool if they would throw you out of their web if they couldn’t bite you through armour, leaving you to strugle out of webbing yourself.
Black widow - even then she was small, her venom was dangerous. Now that she is as big as cat or dog, I think it would be safe to say that, her bite would be fatal. Just avoid her, if you want to live. But if you could kill her and harvest that venom, you could use it on your own weapons. Maybe the males could exist as smaller and weaker variants.

Poison Resist FTW. Instakills aren’t fun, thanks, and having critters only exist when they’re optimized for it (as distinct from aggressive when optimized for it: catch a wolf spider in daylight, it runs) seems chintzy. Sorry.

Mildly derailing, but I’d like to see animal breeding and ability to have litters/young added in, for helpful and harmful animals alike… Would be good destroying spider eggs and domesticating chickens and cows (whose constant noise would obviously draw zombies…)

Also the ability to name tamed animals just like vehicles… Just thought it’d be a good dynamic, espescially if more domestic and farm animals are added… Zombies banging on the door and you’ve got a mother cat (Floofles), and her three babies (Tash, Ween, and Chuck Woolery) to think about defending too… I’d just like to be able to go on forums and tell the tale of the zombies that mauled poor baby Chuck Woolery…

As far as other animals… My current most hated living thing is god-awful bedbugs :expressionless: Doubt even a nuclear apocalypse would do them in, they’re basically roaches that don’t want anything but you… Would be terrifying, though, to wake up in the morning and find six or seven cat-sized bedbugs gorged on pints of your blood (you’d wake up woozy from that one)…

Really, though, most bugs and wildlife that spring to mind immediately are the stereotypical over-used ones, some of which are already in… (nuisance/phobia/poisonous creatures like spider, snake, scorpion, roach, rat, bat, or any animal capable of winning against a human in one-on-one combat, like dogs, cougar, bear etc)…

What really needs done is some good dynamic action each creature participates in (dogs are peaceful until five+ are around, and then they form a pack. Bats that infest houses during the day, predator animals lying in ambush in shrubbery, spiders that hide in cabinets or dressers). One that me and some other folks discussed that’d be good are feral pigs… Are alligators or crocodiles in (since natural water sources aren’t dangerous enough already!)??

Addition of a large zoo, or endangered wildlife preserves/dog-training facilities/animal pounds/kennels (maybe even taxidermist shop) would be helpful as well… Zoo/circus alone adds realistic reason to bumping into the rare stray tiger or gorilla or elephant…

Domestication can be worthwhile. I’d appreciate pet crows & pet cats, personally.

And the whole Insect Queen mutation line. :wink:

Yea, intstant death seems a bit hardcore. But, I have some arguments in my head, about why widow venom and web entaglement attcks could work, thou some one is free to crush them all:

1. Unlike most enemies, you are not forced to engage them at all. You don’t have to kill everything you see.
  2. Not every problem you encounter can solved by same methods (by repeatedly “applying” crowbar to spider ). In this case, use ranged weaponry, thick armour and !!other creative methods!!.
  3. You can lure your enemies to spiders web too.
    Bedbugs:
    Would not you notice these giants bedbugs in your room before you go to sleep, or were they normal before you gone to sleep, fed on players goo infected blood and only then became giants?
    Zoos/circus:
    While the caged animals would starve pretty quickly, it could be useful in attaining some exotic genetic materials, for exotic mutagens/mutation lines? There could also be some sort of animal handling skill, helping one “communicate” with animals, tame them and reveal additional info/lore on natural/pseudonatural animals.

giant moths fly around, see you, eats all your clothes and flies off