I think the player should be able to make or find other types of crossbow such as
- Composite and compound versions of the heavy and repeating crossbows
- Unsure of how well composite and compound construction scales up for the heavy crossbow, couldn’t find examples of massively upscaled composite/compound crossbows, would like input from anyone more knowledgeable
- Motorized crossbow - A motorized version of the repeating crossbow. Has the added weight of the electric motor and other components. Can be activated on or off, enables a two-shot burst fire mode when on at the expense of electric power.
Double crossbow - A crossbow with an extra pair of limbs, increasing damage, range, weight, dispersion (slightly), and reload time. A middle-ground between normal crossbows and heavy crossbows. Composite and compound versions should also exist.
- Double heavy crossbow - A heavy crossbow with an extra pair of limbs, for an obscene amount of power.
- Two-shot crossbow - A crossbow that is effectively two crossbows stacked on top of each other, allowing the player to load and fire two crossbow bolts. Unlike the rail-mounted crossbow, both crossbows have the same strength and can be fired at the same time in a two-shot burst. Composite and compound versions should also exist.
- Rifle crossbow - A modern crossbow designed for high-power, long-range shots. Has an integrated telescopic sight. Uncraftable due to the modern materials and precision involved in its construction, must be looted from a sporting goods store.
- Sauterelle and crossbow launcher - Crossbows designed to throw grenades. A poor man’s mortar and grenade launcher respectively. Valid ammunition includes a wide variety of grenades, bombs, and other containers filled with dangerous substances. The sauterelle requires a mountable surface but can fire much farther away. Probably closer to launchers in operation and physics of the projectiles, and as such should use the launcher skill. Rejoice, this is a low-tech, early to mid-game launcher option with readily available ammo.