Map size

Very simple question: how big is the world?

Infinite, randomly generated on insanely big chunks, a next chunk gets generated when you reach the border of your current one.

As long as it’s not so big that it crashes your computer, you can keep driving into the sunset forever!

and your save file gets absolutely massive as a result.

That it does, I’ve gone and deleted all of my world that isn’t nearby me four times now because I keep getting >200mb save files. Deleting it does wonders for load times. Instructions below, but I advise backing up your save the first time or two until you get the process down just in case you accidentally take out too much.
(Don’t play for 20 minutes or so, load the game, immediately save/exit, then delete all files in save folder that haven’t been saved in the last few minutes while also saving mods.json and worldoptions.txt, this will keep your character, artifacts, and the area around you such as your base or vehicle, though I recommend only doing it with a nomad character with a mobile base. Don’t want to revisit the same city and have new things after cleaning it out)

Map files are uncompressed plaintext.
If you used your OS’s on the fly compression (in windows it’s right click on folder->properties->advanced->enable compression), you could save quite a bit of extra space.
I just tested with my test save and it went down from 2 mb to 640 kb. Not sure about the loading speeds, though.

The problem will get worse with z-levels. Map saving may need some major overhaul if it gets too bad.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:6, topic:9069”]Map files are uncompressed plaintext.
If you used your OS’s on the fly compression (in windows it’s right click on folder->properties->advanced->enable compression), you could save quite a bit of extra space.
I just tested with my test save and it went down from 2 mb to 640 kb. Not sure about the loading speeds, though.

The problem will get worse with z-levels. Map saving may need some major overhaul if it gets too bad.[/quote]

Hey!

Thanks for sharing this tip.

I agree, very nice tip. My save went from 114mb down to 43mb, and load times were only about a second or two longer. Thank you for the tip, Coolthulhu!