Localized builds for 0.8 release

I pulled the latest Chinese and Russian translations in from Launchpad just before 0.8 was tagged, but i’m not sure how complete they are, or if they’re ready for publication.

Is someone from each of the Chinese and Russian teams able to publish a localized build? That would allow each localization team to decide when the translation was ready and do the release themselves. Then it could be hosted on or linked to from the cataclysmdda.com server.

I think all that needs to be done is to compile the relevant .mo file(s), and include the “lang/mo” subdirector(y/ies) in the binary release.

I can do Russian.

If tutorial is update and not buggy, i want translate it first. I will do it fast.
Is tutorial update?

I added the tutorial strings to the .pot file last week so they should be available for translating now.

Not sure about how buggy it is, but i tried running around with some test translations and they displayed correctly.

[quote=“yobbo, post:3, topic:3056”]I added the tutorial strings to the .pot file last week so they should be available for translating now.[/quote] Yes, i see that. Right now it’s in translating by me. It will be finished today. Furthermore, we need to translate 15% of professons description.

I think it should be a language option in game to change language easily.

[quote=“xap, post:5, topic:3056”]I think it should be a language option in game to change language easily.[/quote] Agree

Yeah, I briefly looked into it and it’s fairly easy to do, but only for languages the system supports. So for example someone running their OS in French wouldn’t be able to use the Chinese translation – unless they also had the Chinese language pack installed for their OS. Well it was a bit of a mess, so I left it with the default for now, but it would definitely be nice to have a menu which would display the languages available to your system and let you switch between them.

Edit:

The current way to change languages is to run cataclysm with the “LANG” environment variable set to something else. For example “LANG=ru ./cataclysm”. But again, this seems to only work if your system already supports that language.

If the system at least supports utf-8, there is a way to trick it into using another language (rename the lang/mo directory to coincide with the system language), but it would be an ugly method to use, and i’m not sure how it handles different pluralization rules.