Lewis and Clark (Not columbus) Plays DDA

If you had to cross the entire DDA map from east to west.

What skills/items would you need?

Oh man…
My light survivor suit
Boots, shirt, helmet of some kind
Bone needle with full threads inside
My bow
My backup pistol
Some canned food
A CAR?!

Not to be nit picky, but Columbus crossed the Atlantic Ocean. Lewis and Clark crossed/mapped the country. And I think you would need some ungodly powers, because unless something has changed the Cataclysm version of New England is unending in any direction.

I would expect survival to be high as well as some sort of combat skill, most likely a melee archery mix as staying out of sight in the woods would be the way to travel.

Definitely not asthma or bad back though, the journey needs a fit body to start with.

Lol a car yes I had forgotten

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:2, topic:3028”]Oh man…
My light survivor suit
Boots, shirt, helmet of some kind
Bone needle with full threads inside
My bow
My backup pistol
Some canned food
A CAR?![/quote]

[quote=“deadmerits, post:3, topic:3028”]Not to be nit picky, but Columbus crossed the Atlantic Ocean. Lewis and Clark crossed/mapped the country. And I think you would need some ungodly powers, because unless something has changed the Cataclysm version of New England is unending in any direction.

I would expect survival to be high as well as some sort of combat skill, most likely a melee archery mix as staying out of sight in the woods would be the way to travel.

Definitely not asthma or bad back though, the journey needs a fit body to start with.

Lol a car yes I had forgotten[/quote]

A smoker killed one of my characters on this map, he was wearing a full power suit he found off dead military.

Maybe it’s just friday the 13th, but i want to go get that suit with my longest survivor yet.

also how to deal with the acid rain?

A vehicle shields it?

Doesn’t an engine make a crap loud of noise?

It is. The only limit for map size right now is your computer’s ability to handle it AFAIK.

It is. The only limit for map size right now is your computer’s ability to handle it AFAIK.[/quote]

Wow…I remember reading that it generates as you play.

But, recently heard it generates the map at the start of the game…

So finding another evac shelter/town that one of my dead characters was at, is totally based on luck? or is it even possible…

It’s quite possible. Partially based on luck, but often subsequent characters will spawn in the same starting shelter as previous ones.

Until you delete your save folder the world is one endless stretch of New England countryside. Unfortunately there’s no coastline yet.

[quote=“Rivet, post:8, topic:3028”]It’s quite possible. Partially based on luck, but often subsequent characters will spawn in the same starting shelter as previous ones.

Until you delete your save folder the world is one endless stretch of New England countryside. Unfortunately there’s no coastline yet.[/quote]

Oh shit…

Coastline would be insanely sweet.

Should make it rare though.

Could just see my character kickin` back with a vodka bottle fishing out mutant eels.

Mapgen works in chunks- to observe, use the debug menu at start to reveal all map tiles. The map you see is the one that was generated when the game started. Use the debug menu to teleport to the edges, walk on over, and bam, newly generated map tiles.

Good to know, and sounds like it would work.

But i play rogues for the merciless challenge and unending difficulties.

Probably be using hardcore trait in no time at all.

Hell, I’ve been playing GTA IV for years and never typed in a cheat number.

you can take a note out of walking dead and get a zombie Sakajewei (ok spelled it wrong. its the indian woman who went with them).

remember the woman with the samurai sword in walking dead? She cut off the mouths and armos of zombies and they were docile, but having the zombie with them kept other zombies away? i gots to get me one of those.

[quote=“youtoo, post:12, topic:3028”]you can take a note out of walking dead and get a zombie Sakajewei (ok spelled it wrong. its the indian woman who went with them).

remember the woman with the samurai sword in walking dead? She cut off the mouths and armos of zombies and they were docile, but having the zombie with them kept other zombies away? i gots to get me one of those.[/quote]

rofl! That would be an awesome feature.

2 steel chains, 2 filter masks, and a katana for clean cuts.

Should post that in drawing board man.

This being Cataclysm, you would likely see “Your pet Zombie groans! x24” Followed by “Monster Spotted!” and a dozen Zeds of various colors and flavors heading towards the dinnerbell groan.

hahahaha, yeah…

Do cars still attract like 100 monsters in latest git?

[quote=“StoneCacti, post:5, topic:3028”]also how to deal with the acid rain?

A vehicle shields it?

Doesn’t an engine make a crap loud of noise?[/quote]
I use a rain coat and an umbrella to ward off acid rain. IIRC, having one or the other helps but doesn’t stop it.

Proper vehicle roofing involved having boards/windshields/roofs/closed doors in a 3x3 as seen below, the X would be an ‘inside’ square which would shield from rain and acid rain.

### #X# ###

Most engines are very loud, 1 muffler per engine helps, but if you want a quiet vehicle use electric engines and mufflers

[quote=“Weyrling, post:16, topic:3028”][quote=“StoneCacti, post:5, topic:3028”]also how to deal with the acid rain?

A vehicle shields it?

Doesn’t an engine make a crap loud of noise?[/quote]
I use a rain coat and an umbrella to ward off acid rain. IIRC, having one or the other helps but doesn’t stop it.

Proper vehicle roofing involved having boards/windshields/roofs/closed doors in a 3x3 as seen below, the X would be an ‘inside’ square which would shield from rain and acid rain.

### #X# ###

Most engines are very loud, 1 muffler per engine helps, but if you want a quiet vehicle use electric engines and mufflers[/quote]

Awesome, thanks.

Hadn’t thought about checking the fortification of the roof/boards/windows ect ect for shielding acid rain. But makes sense.

Also, electric engine!! Nice!
That will work in a motorcycle too i’m guessing?

I’ve got tons of batteries right now.

[quote=“StoneCacti, post:17, topic:3028”]Also, electric engine!! Nice!

I’ve got tons of batteries right now.[/quote]
You’ll have to replace the gas tank with a storage battery, but yea it works fine. Only problem is that most electric motors aren’t very strong, so if possible you want to add a second engine which takes 10+ mechanics skill, forget what exactly.
Also it takes a very large amount of batteries (thousands) to run a vehicle, so you’ll want to get some solar panels on it so it charges during sunny days.

[quote=“Weyrling, post:18, topic:3028”][quote=“StoneCacti, post:17, topic:3028”]Also, electric engine!! Nice!

You’ll have to replace the gas tank with a storage battery, but yea it works fine. Only problem is that most electric motors aren’t very strong, so if possible you want to add a second engine which takes 10+ mechanics skill, forget what exactly.
Also it takes a very large amount of batteries (thousands) to run a vehicle, so you’ll want to get some solar panels on it so it charges during sunny days.[/quote]

12 Mech for the second engine. Yeah, Storage Batteries aren’t common IME and aren’t light either, so if you’re Static consider clearing the area first.

If you find a Large Electric Motor–that’s about the same as a V8. Use it. I would!

[quote=“Weyrling, post:18, topic:3028”][quote=“StoneCacti, post:17, topic:3028”]Also, electric engine!! Nice!

Also it takes a very large amount of batteries (thousands) to run a vehicle, so you’ll want to get some solar panels on it so it charges during sunny days.[/quote]

[quote=“KA101, post:19, topic:3028”][quote=“Weyrling, post:18, topic:3028”][quote=“StoneCacti, post:17, topic:3028”]Also, electric engine!! Nice!

12 Mech for the second engine. Yeah, Storage Batteries aren’t common IME and aren’t light either, so if you’re Static consider clearing the area first.

If you find a Large Electric Motor–that’s about the same as a V8. Use it. I would![/quote]

12 Mechanics!! Crikey.

Yeah, never even seen a storage battery or Large Electric motor yet.
Havn’t really started modded vehicles yet though.

Found a perfect public works outside the town though, welder and garage full of tools.