Let's make this game evolve

Well, this putted a smile in my face!

But what you said means it’s hard! Isn’t there a way to implement it code-wise? You need a good system for doing it? Isn’t the one I wrote simple (I guess no, but asking to the people that Know is better)

What you outlined is pretty much how it’s going to work, with the exception that it should apply to all zombies, not just ones in the reality bubble.

Basically over time zombies would have a chance to “decay” into new variants. This would be checked occasionally when they’re on the map, and especially when they’re loaded onto the map when you approach them. You’d almost never expect to see them change in front of you unless a master zombie is involved.

The other piece you need is a mapping of which zombies evolve to which other ones, we might have even weaker zombies than now for the very start of the game, but they’d be mostly replaced soon after game start.

The (possibly unsolvable) problem is that later characters will encounter more advanced monsters.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:22, topic:8060”]What you outlined is pretty much how it’s going to work, with the exception that it should apply to all zombies, not just ones in the reality bubble.

Basically over time zombies would have a chance to “decay” into new variants. This would be checked occasionally when they’re on the map, and especially when they’re loaded onto the map when you approach them. You’d almost never expect to see them change in front of you unless a master zombie is involved.

The other piece you need is a mapping of which zombies evolve to which other ones, we might have even weaker zombies than now for the very start of the game, but they’d be mostly replaced soon after game start.

The (possibly unsolvable) problem is that later characters will encounter more advanced monsters.[/quote]

The game so far has the item and zombie spawn scaling factors. When evolving content is in-game, there could be:

• Zombie evolution time scale fator: start as 10.0(default) and goes up to 100.0 and down to 0.0. When it’s higher, zombie evolution take less time and happens more(can happen in front of a survivor). When it’s lower, zombie evolution takes more time and happens less. 0.0 deactivates the evolutions.

• Tier 2 evolution: yes-or-no option that enable/disable evolutions of the first-to-second tier.

• Tier 3 evolution: yes-or-no option that enable/disable evolutions of the second-to-third tier.

And so on. So players could customize their game worlds to what suits them better regarding evolution, and there will be worlds where later characters won’t find such monsters, others where they will take more time to show up and others that’s really hardcore and fire burns truly a lot .-.

EDIT: After rereading the thread…

• Static zombies evolution: yes-or-no option that enable/disable evolutions of static zombies.
  • Zombie hordes evolution: yes-or-no option that enable/disable evolutions of zombie hordes.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:22, topic:8060”]What you outlined is pretty much how it’s going to work, with the exception that it should apply to all zombies, not just ones in the reality bubble.

The (possibly unsolvable) problem is that later characters will encounter more advanced monsters.[/quote]

Well, we have a way more awesome name for evolving. I vote for Decaying to be that.
And this is really awesome! I hope it gets implemented soon! If i could work with code, i’d totally tryy, but for now you could count me to make some basic tougher monster in the jsons. I am really trying to contribute this days.

Also, that idea of Zobie Master making them not only specialize but also evolve is awesome too, and makes the Zombie Master much a bigger threat. We need to buff their spawn a bit, maybe? Only saw one once.[quote=“Wanderer, post:23, topic:8060”]The game so far has the item and zombie spawn scaling factors. When evolving content is in-game, there could be:

• Zombie evolution time scale fator: start as 10.0(default) and goes up to 100.0 and down to 0.0. When it’s higher, zombie evolution take less time and happens more(can happen in front of a survivor). When it’s lower, zombie evolution takes more time and happens less. 0.0 deactivates the evolutions.

• Tier 2 evolution: yes-or-no option that enable/disable evolutions of the first-to-second tier.

• Tier 3 evolution: yes-or-no option that enable/disable evolutions of the second-to-third tier.

And so on. So players could customize their game worlds to what suits them better regarding evolution, and there will be worlds where later characters won’t find such monsters, others where they will take more time to show up and others that’s really hardcore and fire burns truly a lot .-.

EDIT: After rereading the thread…

• Static zombies evolution: yes-or-no option that enable/disable evolutions of static zombies.
  • Zombie hordes evolution: yes-or-no option that enable/disable evolutions of zombie hordes.[/quote]

Yes. This is great! Some people may not like evolution or even better, they may like to buff their evolution time. Or even more better, they’d like to start with already evoled monsters!

This is a thing, then. Mentally adding it to future features! And a feature that will be incredibly big and interesting.

[quote=“StopSignal, post:24, topic:8060”]Well, we have a way more awesome name for evolving. I vote for Decaying to be that.
And this is really awesome! I hope it gets implemented soon! If i could work with code, i’d totally tryy, but for now you could count me to make some basic tougher monster in the jsons. I am really trying to contribute this days.

Also, that idea of Zobie Master making them not only specialize but also evolve is awesome too, and makes the Zombie Master much a bigger threat. We need to buff their spawn a bit, maybe? Only saw one once.[/quote]

Yeah, Masters could take more time to die, maybe some sort of in-death evolution buff to other zombies…

I want to help as well coding, but my problem is time -__- For now, what i can do is to comment and develop the evolved zombies that are in the thread so we can have more new stuff to test in the first feature versions, if you let me :stuck_out_tongue:

Keep going!

Tough this is just idea storming, this is what we need! And when the support for them is added, to make them all!

hehehehe, I hope jabberwocks get to evolve to. I love jabberwocks, flesh walls, flesh walls, forming jabbers for me, killing me, eating me while I’m consumed by glee. :smiley:

YESSSS

Right, will do later a thread only to discuss which will be the zombie evolutions.

I tend to run from such things, but maybe that’s not how things are done here? .-. Maybe i wandered too far… silently turns back

But yeah, we have to consider also the spreading of fungi, triffids, ants and so on. There is discussion threads about it around here and i remember having read about more specifics regarding how fungi and triffid would deal against threats(something about triffids having a good seed storage for different plants against different threats), but couldn’t find it, and it’s too late now for me. If someone could get those threads and link them here so we could have a good starting point, i thank you :smiley:

I for one would like to see biological warfare between the Mycus and the triffids. Fungal fighters of ever-increasing potency, fungaloids of ever-increasing resistance, big walking fungaloids that spew fine spores and attack queens on sight, the works. Of course, the Mycus should eventually win the battle because triffids are stupid.

I like to think that over time the robots would get into worse condition as time goes on it might take awhile but times be tough in the cataclysm yo

Ok, thread to discuss and develop zombie evolutions here!

We really need a triffid representative :stuck_out_tongue:

It probably will happen, sooner or later. With the Mycus expanding and probably the Triffids as well, also they will collide with the zombies, so… damn, a three-sided nether war. _ And with Z-Levels, so you can simply take cover, get binoculars, potato chips and watch the show. :smiley:

Ironically, robots won’t see evolution, i mean, only if humans decide to take them down and some sort of AI goes Skynet, or if someone builds something better than what’s turreting people around.

That’s not going to happen unless someone puts in a triffid mutation line. Plant mutants are their own side, unaffiliated with triffids. Also, I have mixed feelings about this because it would be cool, but if someone picks it then I might have to worry about offending people by making fun of triffids.

Should i feel bad about making fun of mycus then? did i? well i will as soon as the oportunity arises.

Dude I don’t care.

But back on topic, Why not make feral hunters grow wings? Winged hunters? They would really make problems for people with trapped bases.

[quote=“TheFlame52, post:35, topic:8060”]Dude I don’t care.

But back on topic, Why not make feral hunters grow wings? Winged hunters? They would really make problems for people with trapped bases.[/quote]

Maybe a little too much? In fact, as they love to pounce and maim things around, they could just climb and jump, ignoring the terrain and even Z-levels(for the future). Now, zombie birds and zombie bats, THAT would be a problem. And i really don’t want to see zombie crows, if somehow they kept their intelligence…

By the way, worked in three zombies from the Zombie Idea list, in the other thread. Evolved Hazmat, Bloated and Bloated Spitter :smiley: