Item stats confuse me!

May someone please explain what certain item stats mean?
In example, we have an ordinary pipe:

Volume: 4 Weight: 1.3 kg
Bash: 12 Cut: 0 To-hit bonus: +1
Moves per attack: 102
Price: $75.0
Material: Steel

I understand what volume, weight, bach damage, cut damage, price and material stats mean. But the To-hit bonus and Moves per attack? How do they affect the item? What stat values should I look for in a good weapon?

Thank You in advance!

“To-hit bonus” represents how easy the weapon is to handle.
The higher the bonus, the easier it is to actually hit enemies.
I’ve seen it ranging from maybe -6 (very hard to use the item as a weapon) to +3.

“Moves per attack” is the speed of the weapon. The lower it is, the quicker the weapon.
Note that a powerful but slow weapon isn’t necessarily better than a quick small one.

Slow weapons are generaly bad .
Unless you can attack from enough range you ll get hit befor landing an attack.
When you can land a hit before the z can then you have a good chance of stunning your oponent given enough skill.
Stunlocking a z to death is pretty much identical to onehit ko with the differense that you didn t get hit before ending your swing.

To-hit bonus represents how good the weapon is at being used as a weapon. Higher numbers are better. It is added to your melee skill when the game determines whether you hit or crit.

Moves per attack is calculated from the weapon’s volume and weight. It determines how long it takes to make one attack. Lower numbers are better. 102 is pretty good, only slightly more than an unarmed attack or throwing an object (100 for each). Your character has a speed stat that determines how many moves he or she gets per turn, as does every NPC in the game. An action’s move cost, divided by your current speed, is how many turns it takes to complete the action.

Thank You all for Your help! It helped me a lot!

[quote=“Aluminumfoil, post:4, topic:10444”]To-hit bonus represents how good the weapon is at being used as a weapon. Higher numbers are better. It is added to your melee skill when the game determines whether you hit or crit.

Moves per attack is calculated from the weapon’s volume and weight. It determines how long it takes to make one attack. Lower numbers are better. 102 is pretty good, only slightly more than an unarmed attack or throwing an object (100 for each). Your character has a speed stat that determines how many moves he or she gets per turn, as does every NPC in the game. An action’s move cost, divided by your current speed, is how many turns it takes to complete the action.[/quote]

Unarmed attacks are speed 65. 102 is indeed not bad, but the machete is speed 92 (or maybe 89? going from memory) and does a lot more damage (of course - that’s just a pipe!), so getting decent damage under 100 speed is definitely possible.

Important note, but when dealing with ranged guns/etc. it’s important to remember that things like to-hit apply to when you are using said thing as a melee weapon, not when you are shooting with it. So for guns their to-hit value is when you are pistol whipping zombies, they have a separate value (referred to as dispersion, where lower is better) that determines how good they are at shooting things.