Item flaws during crafting

Hello everyone.

I have an idea that I consider good. How about of implementing of flawed crafts?

I mean we have two possible outcomes of crafting - you have succeed or you have failed. How about a third one - you have done an item but it has flaws. So you can obtain some spear which would have a higher chance of breaking, leaking tank, self-made weapon that could explode in your hands and so on (always remember to double check your homebrew explosives ) ).

Flaws could be visible (so you are aware of them and use item on your own risk) or not, so… it would cause different
!surprise! events. Higher skill levels reduce flaw possibility, of course. And good skill let you notice previously hidden flaws or correct them (if it possible). Also there might be quality levels for crafted items, representing results from “sharpened crude piece of metal” to “masterwork sword”, but I think that it had been suggested before so it just a reminder for those who interested in concept.

as long as flawed explosive items result in a failure to function instead of instadeath i’m all for it.

Certainly and interesting idea, though we might need to take a look at possibly expanding some of the ideas to have enough flaws for everything (since right now, for example, your weapon will never break in combat).

It might, however, result in a not-quite-accurate timer. :smiley:

[quote=“i2amroy, post:3, topic:5119”]Certainly and interesting idea, though we might need to take a look at possibly expanding some of the ideas to have enough flaws for everything (since right now, for example, your weapon will never break in combat).

It might, however, result in a not-quite-accurate timer. :D[/quote]that might now be so bad with dynamite or even C4, but a mininuke…

I’m glad that you like the concept. There also might be some correlations between morale/focus/status levels and flaw probability (if you drunk and decide to craft C4 with well-tuned timer… ). Anyway - thanks again for supporting.

Success
Success: But item is flawed.
Failed: No ingredients wasted.
Failed: FUBAR

Can we disassemble the flawed item and try again from the scraps left from it?

[quote=“Cherry, post:6, topic:5119”]Success
Success: But item is flawed.
Failed: No ingredients wasted.
Failed: FUBAR

Can we disassemble the flawed item and try again from the scraps left from it?[/quote]

Well, I would say perhaps 2 different levels of flaws, one is just lightly flawed and can be disassembled (as “no ingredients wasted”, but useable?), and one is deeply flawed, nearly unusable but not a total waste?

Or maybe the item starts with damage from poor crafting?