Is there mining in CDDA, or some mod?

I got a pickaxe and also noticed there is a downstair in construction menu. Just curious can I dig down and mine some ore and forge a sword of my own?

Yes, yes, and yes.
You don’t even need mining to forge a sword, scrap metal will work too.
Not sure if there is metal to mine anywhere though, didn’t visit mines much, and not lately.

[quote=“Marduk, post:2, topic:13583”]Yes, yes, and yes.
You don’t even need mining to forge a sword, scrap metal will work too.
Not sure if there is metal to mine anywhere though, didn’t visit mines much, and not lately.[/quote]
I think to find ores you need a mod, however you can dig down.

Mining FOR ore is a mod-only thing, as smelting ore to workable metal, but you can forget things with existing metal.
Irl ore is waaay too rare to just start mining somewhere and expect to find usable amounts, so we just don’t have any in the main game.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:4, topic:13583”]Mining FOR ore is a mod-only thing, as smelting ore to workable metal, but you can forget things with existing metal.
Irl ore is waaay too rare to just start mining somewhere and expect to find usable amounts, so we just don’t have any in the main game.[/quote]

My own experience with mining mod so far has been basically that you don’t get enough to do massive projects, but it’s enough for basic stuff. Which would be realistic in that any veins just laying around likely would’ve been estimated by prospector as being non-productive, other than that I dunno if the mod author implemented rarity of ores realistically. :V