Individual storage for every item

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:40, topic:8994”]…Big PRs are hard to get through, but I’m pretty sure the inventory management system isn’t all that monolithic.

Plus, this time it could have a better chance of getting merged…[/quote]

Unless Kevin changed his mind, merge would not happen. He was not opposed to merging partial PRs, but to hybrid inventory system itself. To have it merged, I would have to make it how he wants. My system is IMO better, so I was not willing to do that.

[quote=“Kevin”]I’m not insisting on a single PR that solves every problem, but your PR
doesn’t get us any closer to the correct implementation, and will have to
be dismantled when the complete system is done.[/quote]

[quote=“Kevin”]I’ve already outlined what we’re looking for, a unified system. If you’re
not working toward that, the changes aren’t going in.[/quote]

I was pissed and ended up with implementing what I wanted (and as I wanted) in CataTweaks as separate branch. Keeping it updated with mainline every day (and with no hope to get it to mainline, so I would be doing it for eternity) was too much, so I eventually gave up. Cataclysm development is too rapid for that.

Now I just hope that someone will implement Kevin’s system in reasonable time frame. I am looking forward to it, and to Z-levels you are working on as well.

[quote=“Robik, post:41, topic:8994”][quote=“Coolthulhu, post:40, topic:8994”]…Big PRs are hard to get through, but I’m pretty sure the inventory management system isn’t all that monolithic.

Plus, this time it could have a better chance of getting merged…[/quote]

Unless Kevin changed his mind, merge would not happen. He was not opposed to merging partial PRs, but to hybrid inventory system itself. To have it merged, I would have to make it how he wants. My system is IMO better, so I was not willing to do that.

[quote=“Kevin”]I’m not insisting on a single PR that solves every problem, but your PR
doesn’t get us any closer to the correct implementation, and will have to
be dismantled when the complete system is done.[/quote]

[quote=“Kevin”]I’ve already outlined what we’re looking for, a unified system. If you’re
not working toward that, the changes aren’t going in.[/quote]

I was pissed and ended up with implementing what I wanted (and as I wanted) in CataTweaks as separate branch. Keeping it updated with mainline every day (and with no hope to get it to mainline, so I would be doing it for eternity) was too much, so I eventually gave up. Cataclysm development is too rapid for that.

Now I just hope that someone will implement Kevin’s system in reasonable time frame. I am looking forward to it, and to Z-levels you are working on as well.[/quote]

Heya! anyway you could send a link my way? I’m the doofus working on the system now. I’m 1200 lines of code in, and waiting a bit to get it looked at, so if you had a good system, I wouldn’t mind using (see: steal) your code if it helps. :slight_smile:

Is your branch with this stuff the one named nested_container?

If so, some questions:
Why are you using lists for contents?
Why are you adding contents’ flags to container?
What is and what isn’t working?

The branch is quite old and quite big. Have you thought about splitting small parts of it and sending those as PRs? Could require a rewrite of those parts, but you have a ready code that you could just copy and adjust for the functions you didn’t yet PR.

Like in the example I provided: toolbags (not nested at first). They wouldn’t give any mechanical advantage, but could allow orderly people to segregate their stuff and have say, food bags. Those would probably be quite easy - just the “put stuff in”/“take out” functions and adjustments to the eat/invoke functions to show a menu.
Later on you’d have less work with keeping up with the constantly changing master branch.

Using my code is probably impossible, given how old it is (probably calls heavily changed / replaced functions and what not). Though, you can compare my branch against master and check if there is anything of interest.
Unless you did solve the problem how to uniquely identify specific item, no matter how much is nested, and persist it in save already, you might find UID (Ctrl+F “uid" and "UID”) stuff interesting.

Link to correct branch is in CataTweaks thread in the first post. In the post, you can also find description of how my inventory system works, might be handy too.