If only... The Elder Scrolls edition

I can’t stand the way they’ve been dumbing down all new games :expressionless: Got that new XCOM on PS3 and was driven nearly insane by only being able to have one base, and being unable to shoot your guns at anything except a hostile target…

On the other hand, while not roguelikes exactly, Dark Souls and Demon Souls are pretty punishing, dying is painful and living is even more painful :smiley: Yet they did well in todays baby-powdered market… I can’t really respect a game whose hardest difficulty settings still provide no challenge.

Could have cried when I saw how they merged/murdered skills when moving from Morrowind up to Oblivion (Medium armor, blunt/axes, jump height, also the lack of levitation). Most of what draws me to the RPG genre in general is the presence of complexity (in gameplay direction and character building) that you find in RLs… Blizzard apparently thought that I’m now too idiotic to distribute a couple stat points on levelup in Diablo 3, all of a sudden :expressionless:

On a side note, I didn’t like the newer Elder Scrolls games because your character doesn’t really feel grounded to the world, combat doesn’t exactly seem as epic as it should, not to mention the tier setup of the weapons and armor (made worse by removal of medium armors). Almost unimportant, but most of the ladies on Oblivion and Skyrim are pretty fugly :slight_smile: I remember a female shopkeeper saying (in a young-sounding voice) “You must be wondering why a pretty young thing like me is doing working in a shop like this?”, and she looks like she just won a hard battle against thirty years of crystal meth addiction :smiley:

As far as how much work makes a game: I play these hideously intricate RPGs with varied large zones that generally serve as areas between the next “mission objective” location (and in the great majority of games these are areas you’ll never even see again)… In the end, you can take a small number of areas, and with the help of many random events and dynamic monsters a whole amazing experience can occur on a very small number of maps. Monster Hunter series comes to mind… Just by switching out items/monsters/bosses, the same maps can be used over and over again, and can express a whole gamut of feelings from harmless to beyond threatening…

Wonder how many total games have been played on just the office map in counterstrike :smiley: And the map never even changes. Imagine if random traps, random weather and time of day, random building collapses, randomized structure damage was implemented.

Basically, randomization and variance can grant insane depth and life to even the simplest games, and doesn’t take tons of effort to accomplish…

Skyrim has a terrific survival mod where you get hurt when its code, etc… and have to make cloaks to stay warm plus make fires. it plugs in with SkyRe. SkyRe adds another skill tree for this. The Mod is called ‘frostfall’. you really need SkyRe also to use it effectively.

I believe the mod is included in a mod setup called ‘skyrim revisited’. its a very complex mod setup so you need to be know what you are doing. Here is a forum post to add SkyRe and other high quality mods to the end of it. If you dont follow the steps exactly your game will crash constantly. If you have not modded Skyrim before you are looking at many hours of reading guides etc on the utilies. Start with the guides on the main STEP site.

This took me about 40 hours to do the whole thing. Part of the wait is all the downloading. This is about 250 mods. This makes the game much harder and more challenging plus adds survival and more depth. Note the 40 hours does not include all the time I spent learning the utilities before I did this. This is a GREAT mod setup.

you cant just download mods and install. There is alot to do to manage conflict. There is also another doc on installing mods on here called ‘STEP’ its much simpler to follow (less complex mods) and you may want to start with that.

http://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited
http://forum.step-project.com/showthread.php?tid=2252

As for the artwork itself, texture packs are relatively simple to make. What kind of physics visuals are you thinking of making? In any case, I'd suggest as a test case trying to make a waterfall that doesn't look terrible or very repetitive. Shouldn't kill your FPS either. Also footsteps/splashes in water are pretty simple compared to that, but they're an essential part of total immersion. With regards to the machine, you got any specs?

It’s wise to suggest any test case, because that’s what makes a game planning. :slight_smile:
I’m just being curious, judging from what you wrote drove me to the implication of your question’s concern with me being actually serious; I’m not rounding up a gang of ten to rip a wormhole with mazy-complex-mind-blowing 3D rendering skill, and I’m aware that such ammount of skill for an open world game would take not a year, but five.
For the actual level of design with a preset engine (TES3 as an example) - it’s actually a tier-alternate, whereas you’d have to render every detail for every setting with shadows and fog, detail and distance… and don’t forget screen resolution and the number of polygonal shapes, the curvey buildings and landscape of Morrowind.
In case there is doubt about the actual hardware used in indie labels, design studios put the (somewhat) dated hardware on wholesale every once in a while - it’s the same HP landmine of a bytecracker with pretty sweet graphic capabilities, even bundled with some dated licences. So it’s not like those middleware stuff I was about a couple of days before. :slight_smile:

When I think of about 500+ houses designs you must have for a true open-world experience, moist_z has a point; a free yet simple 3D engine with essential above-ground would serve the need. But then, Morrowind had that Pan&Paper feel to it and more than one encounter in the wilderness. Maybe the idea behind Mount&Blade (especially WB) wasn’t so lucrative in terms of landscape memorabillia but it certainly has proven a point with the player base; remembering to peel the bark of the young tree just to live 'till tomorrow wasn’t really a part of THAT one, though.