HOWTO hordes

dexterity is so much more worth then strength because its so easy to hurt monsters.
and yeah your right int might need more uses. Or make it worth less points. Same with perception… actually i think perception is the least usefull stat.

edit:

[quote=“Vorchar, post:79, topic:8282”]Going a bit (lot) off topic but oh well.

I used to play with skill rust to tone down character progress until I noticed that you can get to 0 -> 6 in a day with melee and crafting goes in two days. At level 8 your progress rusts like 50% progress a day with 8 int once skill starts rusting so you need to jump from level to level or keep doing minor things to keep rust away (quite hard with some of the skills).

Combat fatigue might be a good idea as long as you could not prolong it forever or for extreme amounts of time. If drugs/drinks/stims prolong getting fatigued it would just become norm to have stims with you. Much like how gas/filter masks became part of every character with fungal infection being airborne only. Now with anti-fungal drug and fungal infection being contact parasite masks aren’t “you cannot live without one” item anymore.[/quote]

But that however would give drugs more purpose and also might make a fight resource devouring.

currently i can almost indeffinatly punch zs to death till i get tired or caught in to much acid and electricity.

[quote=“Vorchar, post:55, topic:8282”]Might leave some corpses to bushes/cars etc etc. You won’t see them. Maybe molotov takes couple zombies behind wall and you won’t see corses and carry on only for them to be reanimated.

You have posted excatly the reasons I do not like current hordes: They are tedious. they are NOT dangerous and they drop so much stuff going to towns becomes irrelevant apart from the car parts (which they have miracelously left alone) It’s not about boohoo Hordes too hard, its about I do not want to go on pressing up x 600, B x 600 for just because. Only zombies that require some sort of care are spitters since I have yet to see any higher tier zombies spawn as a part of a horde.

Out of curiosity does increased spawn rate affect horde zombie count?

PS. Really? Could you not figure this out yourself?

PSS. Don’t go rubbing your opinions to how game should be played.[/quote]

[quote=“Vorchar, post:68, topic:8282”][quote=“Labtop_215, post:62, topic:8282”]-snip-

Nobody is “forcing” anything on you. Geeze.[/quote]

Problem is not 300 zombies (or cooks). Problem is that I spent like next hour of real time and next 7 days of ingame time spamming 5 and 8 on my numpad. Nothing else. Most of spitters miss their acid on you so you don’t even reed to move. So this is the super exciting and dangerous stuff everyone else is getting? Or am I perhaps doing something wrong that my character is needing to smack same button to wipe a horde?

As again I have personally yet to see a single harder zombie in a horde. Many as not part of hordes, but spitter has been the “most dangerous” zombie. Does changing the zombie spawn increase horde spawns? This could be a reason as I have not played hordes with increased spawns.

Biggest problem I have is that THEY ARE NOT A HORDE. They are just small groups of zombies here and there who magically know your position once ONE of them sees you. They might be 300 of them but you will be fighting groups of 1-5 zombies every half a hour (A lot of time to butcher, which I do GASP). Is that a horde to you?

I have no problem zombie rev while you AGAIN seem to make up your ow assumptions. I pretty much always play rev on. I just came up WHY someone might have problems with them (AGAIN you assuming things and going on HOW others shoud so things).

And again I have no problems with hordes I just don’t like to waste my time killing them. I just voiced my opinion on the subject as my personal experience seemd to WASTLY differ from others.

It should not come as a any kind of suprise that I play as hordess off. I’m currently trying out 2x spawns but it has pretty much come to a tedious grind of killing zombies rather than adding more danger to the game. Maybe it is just the zombies that seem to be so weak nowdays…

PS.
Man,really,dude,seariously?
Those words are to add weight to your sentence. Don’t know if you are doing it on purpose but you are making your posts feel more like you are giving a lecture or underrating others.[/quote]

Problem number one, is that you jump between this narrative of a zombie horde being too numerous, and then in the next you jump to the zombie horde being too small. In my experience, they are really neither as far as I’m concerned. A group of 20 zombies, is a small horde. A group of 100 or more is a large horde. Considering that these are hordes that we are talking about, 100 doesn’t seem to be too many. Even if there where 1000, I wouldn’t say there are too many because that is what I expect. I expect to be overwhelmed.

Even if I deal with the initial glut of zombies near a town, I don’t expect to clear the town of zombies without substantial effort on my part. Neither do I expect to stay near a town without having to deal with it’s residents taking interest in the area around the town. Now, this could be my experience again (which could be flawed) but from what I’ve seen, they don’t all single you out specifically. They go outward, and when they notice you, they move towards you because you are not the same as they are. I imagine that they see this lively person moving around somewhat fast and sporadically and figure that “thing” is interesting and go towards it, the same way they find noise and as of some experimental versions ago various different animals too be interesting. They go after things that stand out.

Now before hordes came along, with just static spawn on, you could just kill the enemies in the immediate area and then return to find virtually no issues at all. Before hordes where implemented, it felt like there was no movement of zombies from place to place within a town or city, at all unless you directly intervened and did something to make them move. It felt wrong. The above issue being rectified by the implementation of zombie hordes doesn’t mean that the implementation of hordes itself is immune to criticism. I also don’t think you are alone in voicing your criticism of the current implementation of zombie hordes either, Vorchar.

Where I come into this discussion is that I disagree with the points raised against the current implementation of zombie hordes. Here is a list of what I disagree with or have problems with:

[ul][li]I disagree with the contention raised that zombie hordes are not dangerous. I have come across many shocker zombies and brutes, as well as regular zombie brutes, and hulks, in addition to soldier zombies, spitter zombies, ect. If you get too close to a town, or a horde of 100 zombies moves towards your safehouse, you either have to get out of their or deal with the horde. Being surprised by a zombie hulk smashing its way into a small room that you where looting, and throwing you through a wall, stunning you as spitter zombies spit acid on you, and then getting to a shocker brute shocking, paralyzing you, and then stun locking you for several turns while a bunch of firefighter zombies wail on you is anything but tedious. Unless you happen to be wearing a suit of powered heavy power armor, have like 6 healing artifacts in your inventory, and have a full complement of benificial mutations and bionics available too you. In that case, you’ve kind of earned hordes being more of a nuisance than a threat. Alternatively, you can usually move away from the town to avoid the constant danger of hordes.[/li]
[li]Until they are cleared, cities and towns should be at least a somewhat constant source of issues. It should really require a lot of time and effort to really clear a town or city of zombies and until the town or city is cleared, zombies should have the potential to come along and disrupt your work. Removing objects from vehicles, dismantling furniture, or even looting houses and stores should not be a task that isn’t met with some opposition unless you literally killed off everything in the area.[/li]
[li]With skill rust turned on to be based off of intelligence, but not capped, intelligence then becomes a stat worth having as it slows skill rust to a manageable level. Also, skill rust removing some skills that are not used over time is something you might want to embrace if you find the game to be too easy. That isn’t to tell you how you should play, but if you have several combat skills that stay above 6 (or as often the case 10 or 12) permanently, you often do become a “god of war” so to speak. Having skills above 8 drop quickly may be frustrating, but it is good for challenge. If the skill rust is based off of intelligence, then the trade off involves taking less strength or dexterity in favor of intellect, which makes your character more vulnerable overall. Perhaps the issue here is which how fast skills change actually, rather than the way they rust. But if you make skills change too slowly, the game progresses to slowly.[/li][/ul]

On the above notes, I do agree that a fatigue system should come into play when making melee attacks. I’d also like it to replace the getting extremely sleepy mechanic when you use row boats. Unreal World RPG has a fatigue system as well that makes it difficult to be a never ending “god of war” type person, although I’d think it would be annoying if there was no even minor adrenaline to help offset the fatigue in times of desperation.

Lastly, I’d like to point out that you would help your case more in the future by being able to deal with differing opinions better. This specifically:

Doesn’t help, because it kind of implies that I’m thick. And you know what? I’m fine with that. Heck, if you could call me just about anything, make about any insult at me, implied, unintentional, or explicit. I don’t care really.

But…

If you want to imply that I’m thick because I just “don’t get how I could not see the problem you are having” then you need to make sure that there really is no other way I could possibly see the issue. If you don’t, and I have a viable alternative point of view, then that posting becomes this vicious little irony that pwns nobody but yourself.

I’m sorry if I come across as elitist as this is not my intent, but again, I do not find zombie hordes to have to many zombies, and it doesn’t take me a real life hour to butcher 20 zombies, or 100, or whatever. Your over exaggerating the effort required to deal with these hordes.

I’m glad that we seem to have reached a unrestanding of each other.

To sum it up I do not have problems with zombies overwhelming me nor in that that it takes effort. Right now it does take time, just time. (In a bad way imo). It has not taken me any planning to take out the “horde” as you call it. I call those packs of zombies. So theres a glass is half full/empty issue going on between us.

When my whole week is about stabbing a zombie, butchering it, looting it, putting loot in pile and repeating it for next 5 days while most dangerous thing happening is me almost spilling my coffee on my keyboard I get bored and with that I did not enable hordes. I felt that I was playing some tower defence game since the zombies seem to be coming to me in a 5-7 zombie groups. Yes they do come for days, but I can just hop to cellar or board doors and most of the time zombies do forget that I was there, so I can continue killing next day.
If this is what hordes are about them of course lets leave hordes at that. Then they simply are not for me.

Once again I say that I have not seen anything more dangerous than a spitter in a horde. I have had some problems with shockers, but those have been all part of towns normal static spawns. Personally I fins shockers only dangerous zombie once you get skills and items.

About the PS and PSS part. First one was worded with the Really? starting which implies that you have a problem. This was what I felt when I read your posts about me really? not butchering corpses. When you wen’t about “in all seriousness” I started to think that you did not have ill meaning behind your posts though they seemt to be very much worded so. So I aplogize for jumping into assumptions.

I personally enabled hordes to make game more dynamically dangerous since static spawns are kill and forget kind of thing just like you raise the point. However I feel that all I got is more time spent on stabbing zombies that weren’t dangerous to begin with. I also tried dinomod though found out that dinos do not really spawn :frowning:

I feel that skill rust is quite fine as it is. Even if skill rust gets pretty high on higher levels thats kinda the point. When I sit down and think that 1-3 is little/no skill, 4-6 is skilled, 7-9 is highly skilled, having trouble getting levels in expert rank is unrestandable. The problem that I have is that the game seems to be slowly drifting to higher skill ranks. Right now you need 12lvl mechanics for multiple engines on vehicles. Vehicles are quite easy to grind but still.

Unreal world mentioned! Love that game.

Hordes are kinda fine.
The way they react to you is probably improvable.
The problem though aren t the hordes themselve but the fact that you can pwn a billion generic z without even breaking a sweat.

It would by nice to have setting, which delay start of roaming hordes. To set this chalenge to midgame. I dont know how hard it can be.

Interesting idea. maybe add this together with zombie evolution . make it so the horde needs a leader z that orders them arround perhaps.

You can turn them on later in the game.

Awesome, how?

press ? and open options and then world options

IIRC enabling hordes requires a world reset. You can import an old character to a new world, but only by moving files around outside of the game.

My criticism was based on the appearance of day-1 hordes, complete with shocker brutes and no chance of escape, before I had even left the shelter. Admittedly, I tend to grind tailoring on the first day. This is the best suggestion I have heard to-date.

I was reading through this thread and thinking this exact thought… Why not a Leader Hivemind kind of thing that cannot be killed via gunfire (To avoid the obvious solution of taking out the leader with a sniper rifle and watching the hoarde drift away). Basically, make the mobile spawn point mentioned in the description about them an actual monster/person/blobby-dead-guy-creature-thing and have the hoard spawn in around it. Once the leader is taken out, the hoard will no longer spawn.

I do recall cleaning out a city (pretty much 100%) and then realizing just how quiet it is. Isn’t there some kind of behind the scene’s mechanic that can allow new threats or perhaps even wildlife to head back to places that have been removed of their zombie threat? a Global web that tracks all locations with a random weighting that will drive wildlife and NPC’s into the zombie-free zone. The same mechanic can be used to have zombies meander towards the cleared out places as well, for no other reason then to make sure there’s always the possibility something’s waiting around the corner.

Perhaps I don’t understand world creation… Is it dynamic? Creating new portions as you wander around or is it fully randomized and drawn up before the game starts (Ala Dwarf Fortress)

A bit of both.

Big sections of overmap are generated statically like in dwarf fortress, but if you go beyond the generated sections, new ones are generated there.
Local map is generated when needed, in blocks of 24x24.

A bit of both.

Big sections of overmap are generated statically like in dwarf fortress, but if you go beyond the generated sections, new ones are generated there.
Local map is generated when needed, in blocks of 24x24.[/quote]

Ok, so we have big blocks of pre-generated stuff that’s outside our initial starting location; can the “world web” that I suggest keep a collection of coordinates or something that says where things are and where nothing is then have a randomized function that fires every so often that spins out a random direction for them to drift, with extra weight lended to pull living things towards vacant areas, undead towards vacant areas and/or other zombies (This would have zombies slowly drawn towards one another for a natural hoarde). They needn’t be anything more than coordinate numbers and an indicator of type of critter in the location. If the area we are currently active in (I think it’s called the reality bubble) overlaps these drifting mobs, then they get spawned and become active mobs like any other active mob that we might find when walking into a city.

I’m having some difficulty explaining what I mean, maybe I’ll try and explain it via pseudo-code or something. I’m not very good at programming, I dabble, but I can visualize what I mean in my head :slight_smile:

I understand what you mean. Part of this is already happening when you have hordes enabled.

Hordes move toward sounds (only sounds in reality bubble count) rather than cities or friends.

Hordes are a bit unbalanced at the moment (tend to include all the tough stuff and spawn in stupid locations) though.

Ah, ok… So do hoards start out as individuals and slowly grow or is there some other mechanic behind the scenes that spawns in a pack of say 15 zombies and make them move in concert towards sound? I have enough trouble surviving very long as it is, I haven’t actually dared to try Hoards yet.

Also, what about animals? Is it possible to have them do the opposite? i.e. move towards places where there is less or a lack of sounds?

I guess what I’m trying to picture is turning off revivification but turning on hoards and trying to get a city secured to stand against zombie hoards wandering about. Animals tend to thin out pretty quickly, especially now that they’re as much a target for brain-munchers as I am. If they started slowly working their way towards my nice, quiet, secure city I can have fresh squirrel steak for dinner!

First a common concept: monster groups.
Monster group is an information on what can spawn on a given overmap tile (overmap is the map you see when you press ‘m’). It has only vague information like type and number.
Monster group is turned into actual monsters (and deleted from overmap) when you get near it. More correctly, when reality bubble covers it.

Horde is a monster group that moves. It moves randomly, but prefers places with more sound. When you move so that the reality bubble covers it, it spawns like a regular monster group. When it moves so that it gets into the bubble, it will only spawn if you can’t see it and never inside buildings, but it can spawn dangerously near you. You can’t see a horde until it spawns, except for the flashing ‘Z’ in map view.

This isn’t perfectly balanced nor does always make sense. Hordes tend to be moderately big and include zombies of all types (shocker brutes). In fact, turning hordes on is the only way to get significant numbers of hulks and shocker brutes.
In the past it sometimes resulted in really stupid spawns like zombie horde spawning in a swimming pool or zombies spawning next to the player. This should be fixed now, but it still can spawn Left 4 Dead style behind a small building or a wall of trees.

I don’t think hordes can form after they become zombies. Maybe new ones can be generated (can’t find it right now - I don’t know overmap code well), but once spawned, horde disappears.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:97, topic:8282”][spoiler]First a common concept: monster groups.
Monster group is an information on what can spawn on a given overmap tile (overmap is the map you see when you press ‘m’). It has only vague information like type and number.
Monster group is turned into actual monsters (and deleted from overmap) when you get near it. More correctly, when reality bubble covers it.

Horde is a monster group that moves. It moves randomly, but prefers places with more sound. When you move so that the reality bubble covers it, it spawns like a regular monster group. When it moves so that it gets into the bubble, it will only spawn if you can’t see it and never inside buildings, but it can spawn dangerously near you. You can’t see a horde until it spawns, except for the flashing ‘Z’ in map view.

This isn’t perfectly balanced nor does always make sense. Hordes tend to be moderately big and include zombies of all types (shocker brutes). In fact, turning hordes on is the only way to get significant numbers of hulks and shocker brutes.
In the past it sometimes resulted in really stupid spawns like zombie horde spawning in a swimming pool or zombies spawning next to the player. This should be fixed now, but it still can spawn Left 4 Dead style behind a small building or a wall of trees.

I don’t think hordes can form after they become zombies. Maybe new ones can be generated (can’t find it right now - I don’t know overmap code well), but once spawned, horde disappears.[/spoiler][/quote]

you are nearly right, i am sure they can spawn inside buildings what is clearly seen in abandomed challenge where horde can spawn in small rooms of hospital what you just cleared or behimd a wall where you was 1 turn ago

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:97, topic:8282”]First a common concept: monster groups.

I don’t think hordes can form after they become zombies. Maybe new ones can be generated (can’t find it right now - I don’t know overmap code well), but once spawned, horde disappears.[/quote]

I think them spawning inside pools is cool. Imagine a survivor was being chased by a horde, fell in, and they all piled on top and devoured 'em underwater.

The problem is when you have a totally empty pool and suddenly an entire horde charges out of it. This should no longer happen (both because better spawn checks and because common zeds don’t see out of water), but when it did, it didn’t really make sense.

Did it happen with any recent version? I think it was allowed long ago, but should no longer happen.