How would you inject humor into the game?

In addition to the absurdity the RNG throws up and seperately sensible decisions that combine to be truly ridiculous, there’s a good bit of room to work humor into the game with good descriptions of well everything, items, monsters, terrain, everything that has a description.

Another example of intentional humor, spawning child zombies with candy and drugs to offset the morale penalty from killing them.

I think there’ll be a lot of room for that kind of thing when we transition zombie spawns to having them actually wearing the clothes instead of just dropping them when you kill them.

Finally DW started a trend of “you can’t do that” error messages being lame jokes, which has been well received, so we’re sticking with that.

I guess I will make the most unpopular mod in the history of cataclysm… Note to self… whenever tells me this sucks, take a deep breath and take it in stride. Don’t go all lazycat and get banned.

:stuck_out_tongue:

… I actually laughed at the “[NPC]'s head explodes!” error messages when a NPC glitched out repeatedly.

[quote=“GlyphGryph, post:18, topic:3431”]Most of the original suggestions are… not funny. They just aren’t.

Also, we already do have some celebrity zombies! Actual Cannibal Shia Lebouf is more than enough on that front, I think.[/quote]

Actually what happened to Cannibal Shia Lebouf i havent seen him in a while is him still in the game?

He’s not in the Debug Spawn Menu.

I wanna see his description, dammit!

Hey, I have an idea - drinking gets you in all sorts of trouble, unless you’re a Drunken Master adept.
Actually swinging at a zombie shows “Kiss the Zombie (Y/N)” line of jokes.
Stumbling upon a cougar would ask you “Play with the Kitty? (Y/N)” …
And there are tremendous possibilities to prank on the character while he’s attempting to craft anything dead drunk. God save him/her if there’s a
tatooing kit coded in, the morale penalties would last for months.

TIL the very idea of people having hemorrhoids is apparently funny.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:24, topic:3431”][quote=“GlyphGryph, post:18, topic:3431”]Most of the original suggestions are… not funny. They just aren’t.

Also, we already do have some celebrity zombies! Actual Cannibal Shia Lebouf is more than enough on that front, I think.[/quote]

Actually what happened to Cannibal Shia Lebouf i havent seen him in a while is him still in the game?[/quote]
…Wait what?

Last I knew, GlyphGryph pulled ACSL back in Spring.

Interface Screw from being drunk: not fun.

The OP’s suggestions: nah, not really.

Games that mock you for failure: Lost Vikings…was stanging tedious after a while. The commentary after 5-10 restarts or so was marginally amusing the first time. I don’t think a roguelike needs or should have death-mockery; adding it only serves to make the game less accessible.

(If it’s not funny for the recipient…it’s not funny.)

Amusing messages when you close a door on yourself or use a tool on yourself…yeah, those work fine.

[quote=“Gatleos, post:27, topic:3431”]TIL the very idea of people having hemorrhoids is apparently funny.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:24, topic:3431”][quote=“GlyphGryph, post:18, topic:3431”]Most of the original suggestions are… not funny. They just aren’t.

Actually what happened to Cannibal Shia Lebouf i havent seen him in a while is him still in the game?[/quote]
…Wait what?[/quote]

[url=http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Actual_Cannibal_Shia_LeBouf]This.

That just raises more questions.

I’m fine with this.

We need dildoes, condoms, and lube to spawn in houses and on all zedz. For the lolz.

“Pleasure” themed items that help with your morale can probably be a whole new thread.

I’ll be blunt, most of the OP’s ideas suck, but I do note that a government building should be added! We might find lore, suits, and other secrets while avoiding turrets, breaking through doors, and fighting zombie agents!

As for game insulting you upon death, that is obviously unnecessary and breaks immersion.
What CAN be implemented is a more detailed description of death! Maybe it can be specific for each type of enemy and the damage they did. How about an example “The bear tore you limb from limb until nothing was left” or "Smoking is bad m’kay* (dying from coughing). I’m not the best writer but you get the point right? It may even work better if your character can say some last words before a death. "As player name’s arm was ripped off by the Jabberwock, he said [Hey I need that!] GAME OVER press spacebar

I second the idea for more detailed death messages (gravestone messages). One thing I like about NetHack is that it has many funny death messages, both subtle and outright hilarious ones.

An example is when in NetHack the player throws something into the ceiling and it fall back down, it will hit the player’s head and do damage (unless the player is wearing a helmet). If this kills the player (which is rarely enough) the grave will have the message “killed by elementary physics”.
Other examples include “killed by kicking a wall” “choking to death on a fortune cookie” or “killed by falling down stairs”