How to build

Edit: Now fixed thanks for all your help, the trick is to build a roof with at least two supports orthogonal to it, these can be roofs or walls.

Been playing with buildings lately to try and make a garage. I’ve built a U shape out of log walls and can build log and sod roof directly next to the walls but no further than that, am I doing it wrong or is it not completely implemented yet, I read back when whales was maintaining it you could only build right next to walls.

if thats so just build pillars of walls like so:

| | |
| |
| | |

So then you can build a segment of roof between them…But I guess that wouldnt be practical for you seeing its a garage

That might work anyway as you can build a roof over the top of a wall i think, turning it into a free space. It’s late now but i’ll try tomorrow.

You can only build a roof square if there are structures on two sides (non-diagonal), so start in the corners or erect temporary walls (gotta do both steps of each wall).

Let me know when you get to the garage door. I can’t figure out palisade gates to save my life.

Edit:
Vengarr said (on the tips & tricks thread):

Kind of a dumb question, but: how do you get palisade gates to work properly? I built a ring of log walls around the entrance to my cave, leaving one tile open. Then I built the palisade gate, and then built a rope and pulley system one tile next to it.

When I examine the rope and pulley, it asks me if I want to use it. If I hit Y, it says “The gate swings open!”–only nothing actually happens.

Am I missing a step here, or is it bugged?

edit: Figured it out. The gate needs to be flanked on either side with Palisades–log walls don’t cut it. There should probably be an error message signifying this.

Yeah palisade gate code doesn’t exactly work the best right now, IIRC it was recently reported as a git issue, so somebody will eventually get around to fixing it with any luck.

Thanks Guys, the construction is a little obtuse at the moment so thanks for clearing it up for me.

You should be able to build roof tiles fine as long as you start from the corner.

[code]

…#

…#

#####[/code]
Should work fine

[code]

#####[/code]
Is not possible

If it doesn’t work, then its possible the roof you’re using doesn’t have the supports_roof flag, which is probably a bug.

Also, back when Whales was deving, the check for whether a roof was possible just used a flood fill to see if you were enclosed by 4 walls, so you had to build a square frame then build the roof, then add the doors and windows. I changed it to check for two cardinally adjacent supports.

Yeah it works fine if you build from the corners so that’s all good and I can build my garage.

[quote=“The Darkling Wolf, post:7, topic:1733”]You should be able to build roof tiles fine as long as you start from the corner.

[code]

…#

…#

#####[/code]
Should work fine

[code]

#####[/code]
Is not possible

If it doesn’t work, then its possible the roof you’re using doesn’t have the supports_roof flag, which is probably a bug.

Also, back when Whales was deving, the check for whether a roof was possible just used a flood fill to see if you were enclosed by 4 walls, so you had to build a square frame then build the roof, then add the doors and windows. I changed it to check for two cardinally adjacent supports.[/quote]

Uh, then the Log Roof be bugged, at least as of mid-May. Having to build/knock down support walls isn’t so fun.