How do I preserve a large amount of meat in under a day?

Save scumming works, or better yet, just use the map editing debug function to swap a wall out for whatever you need.

The obvious first action to deal with the toxin is not to add to it, i.e. switch to a toxin free diet. Whether to keep the meat or not is up to you.

Dogs seem to be basically useless, although they’re a source of untainted meat, and so can be kept as reserves. I did see a bunch of dogs take out a fairly basic zombie, but I wouldn’t try to use them in a fight.

The way I trained mechanic back in 0.E2 stable was to deconstruct whatever I could from vehicles, as I expected to eventually have some use for at least some of the things. I’d prefer to do something that isn’t directly grinding for light role playing reasons. I also constructed frames for my craftmobile as far as I was able (light wooden frames, cloth walls and roof, eventually wheels and an engine so I could drive it to my base camp which I set up in the next tile.

May as well cheat the items you want in and turn Godmode on while you’re at it.

I’m probably going to finish the rest of the jerky (8 portions) then never touch anything like it again lol

That’s a shame. I went out of my way to kill wildlife so I have enough meat to make dog food. I drove to a remote location where I distinctly remember seeing a cattle dog and tamed it. I’m gonna go scavenge for bones to craft leather and bone armor for it tomorrow, just for the hell of it.

I tied it outside my house so it can serve as a guard dog for roleplaying reasons; will probably place a bowl and a toy next to it too. Take it with me on wildlife hunts since it is faster and has the same Melee level as I do. Do you need to provide dogs with food and water like you do with human NPCs?

I don’t like this system either. I don’t usually indulge in it, but it seems to be the most efficient and recommended (both by the Wiki and the forum) way to level up. I mean, installing a roof for my car only leveled up my Mechanics by 1%? Really? I’m not sure how I’m meant to naturally level some skills up without direct, heavy grinding. Though it is funny how my character suddenly has new insights for crafting recipes after constructing and deconstructing the same wooden door for 8 hours in a row.

Nope; they are actually robots that require no sleep, food, water or maintenance (regardless if the NPC needs mod is activated or not). :grin:

Is there a basement nearby? You may be able to extend that time a bit because they’re cooler if you cook down there. You can also use salt water from any nearby marsh to make jerky.
Even if it spoils you can still at least use the meat and fire wood.

I ended up successfully making meat jerky out of all the 83 chunks thanks to the preservation effects of the active minifridge I had in my car. We also concluded storing food in a regular refrigerator does nothing. It took 4 crafting batches (each 5 hours long) to prepare all the mutant meat I acquired. I then ate too much of it in the consequent days and got poisoned.

I marked the topic as Solved to avoid any confusion. The thread has turned into me basically asking random questions and talking about my playthrough lol (Mods can lock it if this is against the rules).

Real shame the pet system isn’t more robust currently. It also seems you can give your dog commands but only if you find this very specific item drop that cannot be crafted and cannot be substituted with a similar one that is very common to find. Dogs seem to have a pretty cool ability - Lunge, which can down your enemy - but don’t seem very viable with 30 HP and low attack damage.

On a different note, what these toxins do to you is pretty scary. My leg gave out as I was riding a bike, which ended up with me being stunned on a moving vehicle for about 4 turns. Thankfully I could still control it, but having this randomly happen to you in combat could really screw you over.

The yields of the constructed charcoal kiln are insane. I put a couple of logs in there, let it burn for 5 hours, and got 550 units of charcoal out of it. Put into perspective, a charcoal smoker holds 200 units at full capacity, and smoking a single chunk of meat (for an hour, which then lasts for 3 weeks) uses 15. I have over 150 logs from clearing up the nearby wooded trail, and it seems the kiln can hold up to 50 at any given time; constructing this was a great idea, @PALU’s suggestion was very helpful.

I found an electric car in great working condition and salvaged the 4 solar panels that were on it. I need to grind a bit more for Mechanics 4 to be able to install them. I don’t know how to progress beyond that without a hacksaw; taking out the swappable storage battery cases requires one, as does salvaging most other parts from other vehicles to install onto mine. Where are good places to look for hacksaws? Are there any alternatives? My best tool (multi-tool) only has a metal sawing quality of 1.

You can look for hacksaws in hardware stores, also in garages (home garages and the mechanic type garage buildings). Typically there’s a chance to find one in any place you would expect to have done mechanical work pre-cataclysm. Occasionally you’ll luck into tools on zombie corpses too.

So far I have indeed found most of my tools on zombies, but that’s very much based on luck and I don’t want to rely on that. There is one unexplored garage deep inside some uncharted Size 14 town territory, and one hardware store in the nearest town that is guarded by a group of 4 NPC bandits. How tough are bandits nowadays? Will I be able to take them out with a .223 rifle without getting myself killed? Keep in mind I am still suffering the effects of ingesting toxins.

EDIT: The hardware store did not have a hacksaw. I did not run into the bandits. What do I do now?

There’s a chance to find hacksaws in the garages of normal homes as I said. It could be an opportunity to pick up some goodies to fill out your tool box. :toolbox:

You could also try farms. Some farms have storage lockers with tools as well… might even find a welder (electric or acetylene) or a vehicle to scavenge for parts too.

1 Like