How about Mutated NPC

There are not Mutated NPC now in game.
How about add Mutated NPC with random selection in categorized mutation group like npc`s item_group?

If add mutated npc, I can vary npc`s apperance.

How?

1. Add apperance mutations in json file. (ex : blonde hair, black hair, blonde eye, black eye… etc)
  2. Add oversprites each apperance mutation.
  3. When NPC created in game, have hair and eye apearance mutation. So, the NPC have variety looks.

Mutations and bionics for NPCs have been discussed but are not priority since working on their buggy behavior is. It is a feature many people would like to see however.

Appearance mutations would merely be descriptive or tileset dependent and would be mostly for RPing purposes.

Currently, I RP that all npcs are crazed kleptomaniacs with wide staring eyes and foam dripping from their mouths. No matter how they claim too feel about me, they’re always one stray neuron away from setting me on fire and looting my still smoking corpse.

I’ve never been able to tell what color their hair or skin is, because they never bathe and are covered in soot from the last poor soul they set on fire and looted. If there’s a wrong thing to do at any given moment, they will do it.

Thus, I am completely prepared for when they decide it’s time to nap in the middle of a pitched battle with all the zombies. And also when they wake up abs tell me to ‘Hold on, I want to get that Molotov.’ And even when they helpfully throw said Molotov at the zombie child standing right next to me while a hulk bears down on them from the opposite direction.
So…yeah, AI first, then cosmetics.

There is one static NPC that hints at being a little mutated. I have some ideas for mutated NPCs and monsters, and a couple related quest lines, but I don’t have time to really flesh any of it out right now.

Normal variations in appearance shouldn’t be implemented as mutations. That’s an overkill.

This is definitely one of those things on a lot of people’s mutation-related wishlists, along with moving mutations in general into json modules so we can make mutation-related mods.

I’ve got a follower NPC that has accumulated a number of mutations through radiation, and while I’ve never experienced any trouble from that, I think I can understand where at least part of the problem implementing this comes in:
When they mutate I get notifications about it phrased as you/your.
There doesn’t seem to be any crossover (they have carnivore and I don’t, so I’d notice that at least), but it does sort of hint at a minefield that will have to be crossed to make this happen.

I encountered a mutated npc merchant once who even described herself as a mutant and not human.

[quote=“scorpion451, post:6, topic:11101”]This is definitely one of those things on a lot of people’s mutation-related wishlists, along with moving mutations in general into json modules so we can make mutation-related mods.

I’ve got a follower NPC that has accumulated a number of mutations through radiation, and while I’ve never experienced any trouble from that, I think I can understand where at least part of the problem implementing this comes in:
When they mutate I get notifications about it phrased as you/your.
There doesn’t seem to be any crossover (they have carnivore and I don’t, so I’d notice that at least), but it does sort of hint at a minefield that will have to be crossed to make this happen.[/quote]

Huh, so they can mutate through radiation? Now I’m thinking of some sort of radiation room; damaged atomic laps littered around and NPCs guarding that room. Mutate, or die horribly. Either way is fine as long as you turn into delicious alpha meat.

NPCs mutating through radiation is a semi-bug, the mutation system isn’t smart enough to understand some of the mutations yet.

I was extremely pleasantly surprised by the additions made to NPC dialogue in the most recent experimental. Although there have not been many changes, the changes that have been added are extremely useful.

I agree with your image of NPCs from past versions, but in the current experimental it is now possible to RP them as much more sane, non-kleptomaniac individuals. While there isn’t a lot of depth to them right now, it is now possible to imagine them at least behaving in a semi-reasonable way. And now they sleep, which is interesting.

The most important additions:

Command to stop a following NPC from picking up ANY items

Command to stop a following NPC from bashing any obstacles (including vehicles)

Command to give them an item outside of the trade menu (they can hold onto your junk, and you can equip them with makeshift weapons)

Command to reorder their armor

Command to examine their wounds

Command to use an item on them (like a first aid kit)