Hobbies and Acquired tastes

Over in the Bayonets topic, I derailed the topic a little talking about gun nuts and weapon maintenance, but it did give me a pretty great idea.

Have hobbies available at the character creation menu, these would be small things you could pick with names like handyman or fixer or gun nut, that would provide you with small morale boosts for doing jobs related to the hobby. In this case, a handyman would enjoy building things, fixers would enjoy repairing cars and damaged weapons, gun nuts would enjoy the use and maintenance of firearms. Things like that, which would really go far in developing a character.

On a similar note, have you ever eaten a food or done something you really didn’t enjoy the first time around? Yet on repeated tries you found that it was actually kinda cool? Acquired tastes would be a similar system for that, where you may not like to clean your gun at first, over time you take pride in your discipline, even in the face of the apocalypse. Basically, repeated use of certain items would slowly build up morale, but not to the point for pre-cataclysm hobbies.

+1’d
Hobbies for advanced character creation.
And sexual Orientation

I’d be down for something like this.

I’m gonna love it when I can make a giant bionic filled murder machine with a soft spot for gardening.

[quote=“Inquisitor Dust, post:3, topic:6329”]I’d be down for something like this.

I’m gonna love it when I can make a giant bionic filled murder machine with a soft spot for gardening.[/quote]
[size=14pt]“I AM DEATH ITSE- Wait, it’s time to water the plants!”[/size]

[quote=“Mrnocamera, post:4, topic:6329”][quote=“Inquisitor Dust, post:3, topic:6329”]I’d be down for something like this.

I’m gonna love it when I can make a giant bionic filled murder machine with a soft spot for gardening.[/quote]
[size=14pt]“I AM DEATH ITSE- Wait, it’s time to water the plants!”[/size][/quote]
"[size=14pt]PREPARE TO DIE, UNDEAD SC-[/size][size=14pt] Oooh, those are some nice poppies.[/size]"

[quote=“Inquisitor Dust, post:5, topic:6329”][quote=“Mrnocamera, post:4, topic:6329”][quote=“Inquisitor Dust, post:3, topic:6329”]I’d be down for something like this.

[size=14pt]“I AM DEATH ITSE- Wait, it’s time to water the plants!”[/size][/quote]
"[size=14pt]PREPARE TO DIE, UNDEAD SC-[/size][size=14pt] Oooh, those are some nice poppies.[/size]"[/quote]

“[size=14pt]NO YIELDING, VALHALLA OR DE–[/size][size=12pt] Woah, is that Rosemary?[/size]”

[quote=“Markutsk, post:6, topic:6329”][quote=“Inquisitor Dust, post:5, topic:6329”][quote=“Mrnocamera, post:4, topic:6329”][quote=“Inquisitor Dust, post:3, topic:6329”]I’d be down for something like this.

"[size=14pt]PREPARE TO DIE, UNDEAD SC-[/size][size=14pt] Oooh, those are some nice poppies.[/size]"[/quote]

“[size=14pt]NO YIELDING, VALHALLA OR DE–[/size][size=12pt] Woah, is that Rosemary?[/size]”[/quote]
"[size=14pt]DEATH OR RED- That bush needs trimming![/size]"

[quote=“Mrnocamera, post:7, topic:6329”][quote=“Markutsk, post:6, topic:6329”][quote=“Inquisitor Dust, post:5, topic:6329”][quote=“Mrnocamera, post:4, topic:6329”][quote=“Inquisitor Dust, post:3, topic:6329”]I’d be down for something like this.

“[size=14pt]NO YIELDING, VALHALLA OR DE–[/size][size=12pt] Woah, is that Rosemary?[/size]”[/quote]
"[size=14pt]DEATH OR RED- That bush needs trimming![/size]"[/quote]

[size=14pt]“PREPARE TO DIE, RO-[/size] Ooh, strawberries!”

[quote=“FunsizeNinja123, post:8, topic:6329”][quote=“Mrnocamera, post:7, topic:6329”][quote=“Markutsk, post:6, topic:6329”][quote=“Inquisitor Dust, post:5, topic:6329”][quote=“Mrnocamera, post:4, topic:6329”][quote=“Inquisitor Dust, post:3, topic:6329”]I’d be down for something like this.

"[size=14pt]DEATH OR RED- That bush needs trimming![/size]"[/quote]

[size=14pt]“PREPARE TO DIE, RO-[/size] Ooh, strawberries!”[/quote]

[size=14pt]FEAR ME! FOR I AM- [size=10pt][color=green]Hey! Where’d my carrots go?![/color][/size][/size]

but yeah, this’d be a nice little feature, most assuredly.

I love you guys. <3

I really, really want to see npc’s get that nigh-impossible overhaul. Sharing similar hobbies could be something useable in determining who use get along with, much like how the Sims do.

2 Likes

Joey McNPC says :“You like weaponsmithing too? What’s your favourite style of sword? I love Italian rapiers.”
You say: “I like katanas.”
Joey McNPC turns hostile!

2 Likes

Joey McNPC says :“You like weaponsmithing too? What’s your favourite style of sword? I love Italian rapiers.”
You say: “I like katanas.”
Joey McNPC turns hostile![/quote]
Cathrine McDouchebag says: “Whoa, you like guns too? What’s your favorite gun?”
You say: “I like Ruger 10/22’s.”
Cathrine McDouchebag Impales You With Her Stare of Hate!

Started a new game and really like this feature, it adds more depth to the characters without sacrificing the scenario.

Shouldn’t some of these hobbies include additional items?

For example a chain smoker would have a lighter and a pack of cigarettes, heroin addict has a kit to inject with and maybe a little bit of H, video gamer would have a handheld game, swimmer has some swimming goggles, etc.

This would add to the immersion of having a particular hobby without taking too much away from balance. It would be the difference from actually having a hobby and just starting out with a status effect debuff like nicotine or opiate withdrawal.

why would he start off with opiate withdrawal if he still has a bit of H + a rig as starting items?

He could be trying to ration. Knowing some major changes just went down and his source for more is gone, he’d try to stretch out his current stash as long as he’s able.

The Heroin Addict “profession” starts with a syringe and one dose of heroin (I think: it’s a single bag anyway) at a maximum addiction level, with withdrawal setting in after a couple of hours. Presumably shooting the last dose would put off the withdrawals for as long as it’s active, but I haven’t tried, and it won’t really make a difference apart from a potential chance to stabilize yourself in preparation for an encounter.

1 Like

Eventually we’d like hobbies to give you access to equipment loadouts, and you choose which loadout you want to take. However we don’t want unlimited item stacking from hobbies due to problems with storage and scenarios, so for now we’re leaving it out.

2 Likes