Healthy farms?

I consider vegetarians and vegans meat sources.

Thats not so easy as you would think though. You would have to constantly supply the bacteria with nutrients and somehow removing the waste without ever letting the culture be contaminated by other bacteria. The most likely scenario would be a 37C inkubator and having the bacteria live on boiled blood agar cultures reapplying them on new agar cultures as you go along, no idea how you would do that as a vegetarian or where to get the agar (once again its algae). In addition bacteria lose abilities the longer they are cultured (and gain others), so that in a few months they would most likely not produce b12. Then there is the contamination issue, doing so many cultures in a row in a non laboratory setting means its very likely the cultures are going to be contaminated by other bacteria and there would be no way to tell unless you made several other tests.

I mean filthy clothes right? :wink:

This remark is just as annoying as people mentioning they are vegan out of the blue btw. You now have the same type of humor as the person who says ‘then it is free’ when a product doesn’t scan correctly while shopping.

So yeah, I’m dissapoint.

In the context of a game where you can murder vegetarians and turn them into Jerk Jerky, though. So there’s that. :stuck_out_tongue:

The talk of vegetarianism in context is a little bit of an odd egg though. I imagine anyone who chooses that life due to the squeamishness of animal butchery is going to lose that after the first few days of butchering rotting corpses to keep them from getting up. Similarly, respect for animal life in a “It’s you or me, I’m starving” situation would likely go out the window.

Pretty easy to think that anyone who doesn’t treat it like a religion is not going to stick to it long in the apocalypse, unless it’s a player-imposed challenge or they’ve managed to actually get a very stable setup going.

[quote=“SenorOcho, post:24, topic:12294”]In the context of a game where you can murder vegetarians and turn them into Jerk Jerky, though. So there’s that. :stuck_out_tongue:

The talk of vegetarianism in context is a little bit of an odd egg though. I imagine anyone who chooses that life due to the squeamishness of animal butchery is going to lose that after the first few days of butchering rotting corpses to keep them from getting up. Similarly, respect for animal life in a “It’s you or me, I’m starving” situation would likely go out the window.

Pretty easy to think that anyone who doesn’t treat it like a religion is not going to stick to it long in the apocalypse, unless it’s a player-imposed challenge or they’ve managed to actually get a very stable setup going.[/quote]

Some people have told me that when they eat meat, they feel really sick. I don’t know if what they are reporting is accurate and meat is bad for them, is an attempt to dissemble in a nutrition debate/discussion, or is accurate but is like exercising where it is unpleasant (soreness) at first but the body adapts quickly. It’s possible that some people cannot process meat to well, and these people would probably be another group that would live the veg lifestyle.

There’s an awful lot of variables involved there to be able to narrow it down. Could also be a placebo effect from convincing themselves so hard that meat is bad for them. Or they just happen to eat improperly cooked meat and get sick. Or they ate something like a really spicy burrito and blamed the meat instead of, you know, everything else that’d be in a spicy burrito.

Edit: To steer myself a bit back on-topic… I imagine perishables that have turned yellow in-game are at or even past the point where the average person would have thrown them out. Is there any major negative effect from drinking lots of somewhat sour milk and eating stale bread?

Yeah, that is accurate. (Not one myself btw, but I know some people with Crohn’s disease can get pretty sick from eating meat) and no it is not a placebo effect. Crohn's Disease Diet Plan: Foods to Avoid, Low-Residue Diet, and More

I love that quote. :smiley: Thanks for reminding me.

Yeah, that is accurate. (Not one myself btw, but I know some people with Crohn’s disease can get pretty sick from eating meat) and no it is not a placebo effect. Crohn's Disease Diet Plan: Foods to Avoid, Low-Residue Diet, and More

Thanks for the information.

Well, I think that for the people that I have encountered, it is indeed psychological or just straight fabrication. These people absolutely did not have Crohn’s disease, and their complaints were more along the lines of minor discomfort than the associated symptoms. Buuuuuut I don’t to get into an argument regarding dietary habits.

I am very much looking forward to seeing the nutrition being developed more. I’m glad to see that some of the food in the same category no longer provide the exact same nutrients–oranges provide more vitamin c than apples–and I am definitely looking forward to that being applied to vegetables. Having a wide variety of plant matter is important to me, both in my personal life and in game… because I always just play myself instead of doing any role playing.

[quote=“SenorOcho, post:24, topic:12294”]The talk of vegetarianism in context is a little bit of an odd egg though. I imagine anyone who chooses that life due to the squeamishness of animal butchery is going to lose that after the first few days of butchering rotting corpses to keep them from getting up. Similarly, respect for animal life in a “It’s you or me, I’m starving” situation would likely go out the window.

Pretty easy to think that anyone who doesn’t treat it like a religion is not going to stick to it long in the apocalypse, unless it’s a player-imposed challenge or they’ve managed to actually get a very stable setup going.[/quote]

Note that anything you’ve said could be used just as assuredly as a justification for cannibalism.

Regardless, we have traits that:
a: Permanently give severe morale penalties to the player whenever they consume flesh because it “hurts” their stomach.
b: Permanently render the player literally, physically incapable of consuming eggs and flesh.

Both of these can be picked at character creation, and by that context, vegetarianism becomes a very important aspect to discuss.

Secondly, in health terms, note that there are forms of contagion that persist in cooked, and undercooked, meat, which could potentially pose potentially lethal, potentially permanently, health hazards to the one who eats them. How much more dangerous is a case of intestinal worms when the blob makes worms grow into meter long abominations? There’s no government body ensuring the meat you butchered from that rabid wolf isn’t going to make you suffer horrific, blinding intestinal pain followed by a xenomorph ripping its way out of your abdomen.

The more orders between you and your food, the less likely that food is to contain pathogens relevant to you. Fish, insects and vegetables are far, far safer dietary choices in the absence of readily available healthcare than other high order mammals, which are safer than humans.

View this from an in character perspective:

Aberrations: You’d need to be an especially dedicated carnivore to get the idea in your head to get the idea that a jabberwock, graboid or amigara horror is good eating. Anything extra-dimensional can be considered “last resort” by default. There’s a good chance that many nether entities are piggybacking on terrestrial organisms, so eating the terrestrial organism it inhabits might just make you Host #2 or just mutate you into having a tentacle for a face.

People/Animals: High chance of parasites and other pathogens. Limited cooking facilities means it’s hard to ensure meat is cooked thoroughly throughout, increasing the chance of picking up something terrible that you cannot easily treat. Clear blob presence shown by the various zombified animals.

Reptiles/amphibians/insects: The only insects and amphibians found in the game are clearly mutated in some unknown fashion to enable them to be the size they are. Mutated lifeforms generally make poor dietary choices, cockroaches especially. The only “safe to eat” reptile is the rattlesnake, since it can be assumed to be blob free or it would be the giant variety already.

Fish: Again, there are several mutant fish and undead varieties, and the majority of rivers in New England can be considered potentially toxic thanks to pre-catacylsm industrial waste as factories break down along the river banks. Lead poisoning isn’t generally something you can fillet away and will be present for years post-cataclysm until it all clears out into the oceans.

Birds: Appear to be entirely unchanged (albino penguins are actually nether denizens), suggesting they’re incompatible with the blob or have avoided contagion. Bird eggs can therefore be assumed safe as well.

Plants and fungi: All except the poppies are completely unchanged and devoid of mutations and undead varieties. Triffid and mycus not-withstanding (mycus fruit gives a very good example as to why you should avoid eating things from strange dimensions), fruit and plant matter shows no signs of significant change post-pocalypse.

In universe the long term side effects of blob consumption are completely unknown, and the blob clearly can survive fire. The only “safe” dietary sources are rattlesnakes and their eggs, birds and their eggs, non-mutated fruit and vegetables, and pre-cataclysm processed foods. Sensible survivors would be gravitating towards a mostly or exclusively ovo-vegetarian diet out of self-preservation.

Well i think the blob dies when it “walks” through fire.

I set fire to one of those blob pits. They burn pretty good.

[quote=“Valpo, post:32, topic:12294”]Well i think the blob dies when it “walks” through fire.

I set fire to one of those blob pits. They burn pretty good.[/quote]

True enough, unexposed blob can die, and blob globs can burn, but burnt zombie corpses can come back to life, so it apparently has some way of insulating itself inside burning meat, and those corpses get cooked a lot more thoroughly than your average bearburger.

Yeah i wouldn t count on boiling your meat to rid it of the blob. Burning it enough that only coal remains should work though.

Wasn t there a change were enough exposure to fire will prevent a z from rezzing?

Just now it depends on how much fire is needed.

I haven t tried yet … i usualy ignore zombies i beat down. They can revive as much as they want. I just butcher the annoying ones.

Certainly possible, but very rare. Digesting meat requires specific bacteria and enzymes, so if one doesn’t eat meat for long they can get sick from it. Will get sick if they’ve never eaten meat (or milk/eggs) in their entire life because stuff required for digesting it isn’t even present - which is why I abhor people who force vegan diets on their children.
For what it’s worth, if it makes one just “mildly” sick and it’s not psychosomatic, eating a little at first and increasing the amount over time will make the body adjust and no longer become ill from meat.

As for blob dying - first off, you can’t get rid of it without specialized tools. Second, player characters are all contaminated already, mutations are facilitated by the Blob (except for fungal branch, that’s Mycus).
…you know, it’d be funny but interfere with lore to have “blob-immune” trait, preventing your character from rising as zombie or mutating.

Throw this out there. My character’s never hunted an animal. He’s avoided all hostile animals possible and never instigated a fight.

Usually my character gets his iron simply from the animals which go after you anyway (wolves, bears, spiders, giant wasps) plus the stray can of food around.