Hallucinate only seen creatures

i was thinking… when you hallucinate, you see… basically ALL types of creatures in the game, wouldn’t it be better if a character would only hallucinate standard animals, and creatures you only seen before, i mean it doesn’t make too much sense to hallucinate things like nether creatures without having actually seen them yourself? or am i missing something?

this would lead to, not only more realism, but hallucinations would also be scarier since you usually know when you hallucinate since lots of random things that you didnt even have any idea about comes forward

[quote=“EnderCrypt, post:1, topic:12331”]i was thinking… when you hallucinate, you see… basically ALL types of creatures in the game, wouldn’t it be better if a character would only hallucinate standard animals, and creatures you only seen before, i mean it doesn’t make too much sense to hallucinate things like nether creatures without having actually seen them yourself? or am i missing something?

this would lead to, not only more realism, but hallucinations would also be scarier since you usually know when you hallucinate since lots of random things that you didnt even have any idea about comes forward[/quote]

I do think that Hallucinations in general need to be revamped a bit. Whenever they occur it can be blatantly obvious both from the tooltip and from the amount of visual oddities that pop up every two to three seconds.
I don’t mind that weird and rare creatures show up from time to time to demonstrate the character’s personal nightmares coming to life, but I would make some Hallucinations more common than others.

For instance, the gameplay could REALLY be turned around if the majority of Hallucinations were just regular Zombies/Tough Zombies/Zombie Dogs etc. Whenever I’m walking through town and I suddenly see Amigara Horrors, Shoggoths and Dark Wyrms all over the place I don’t feel bothered by it, Why? Because I as a player know they’re not real.

But the Hallucinations that always catch me off guard are the regular Zombies, the more common enemies that i’m more likely to face. I can’t tell if they’re real (unless I’m willing to take the time to blindfold myself) but by then the zombie has either attacked (if it was real) or there are enough real zombies around, that it makes it difficult to tell which ones are real and which ones are figments of my imagination.

I’d be a lot more tense and nervous playing a Schizophrenic character if this was the case.

Additionally, I would like to see more variety with Audio Hallucinations. Simply hearing some audio cues in places I cant see would make me more nervous when wandering around town. Hearing “Whumps” in different directions, distant gunfire/bangs, glass breaking, the horrible scream of a Jabberwock, or even Migo voice cues would certainly keep me on my toes and make me paranoid about what to trust as I creep through buildings, labs or areas where I don’t have visual clarity.

^ Ditto on the zombie hallucinations. Audio hallucinations sound like a good idea as well; what better way to freak the player out than by cluing them in on a powerful monster that isn’t there?

Also, that reminds me; the mi-go “gunfire” audio cue should be changed to them actually making gun noises akin to the turrets (like “from the x you hear p-p-p-pow! x 20”) instead of “from the x you hear gunfire”, because right now it’s the difference between gunshots and somebody saying “bang”.

I’d love more audio hallucinations. “You hear glass breaking to the south” makes me check every time, just in case. Terrifying roar in a forest? Time to craft a new pair of pants.

I’d also love for Mi-Go, and hallucinations in general, to properly emulate NPC speech sometimes “You and I need to talk, friend!”, as well as for NPCs in need to actually scream and cry for help “You hear a young child crying.” Check it out, potentially save a small child for morale and a small material reward, or get your face eaten by a Mi-Go, or… Nothing was there at all. Except the hulk.

For visual hallucinations, can they be weighted based on current/nearby map tiles? Towns gives a bunch of more-standard zombies, giant wasps, forest gives Triffids, various wildlife, ants, spiders, fungi, Jabberwocks and so forth. Secondly, could hallucinations just “reskin” regular enemies? That child zombie you just melee’d? Actually a spitter, enjoy! Spitter you shot? Actually an NPC! Whoopsie!

Secondly would be mind screws. The Flesh Angel attacks! What, you’re taking damage? Omg! It’s real! Attack! The flesh angel disappears. Your health is restored to whatever it was that you lost, leaving only lingering pain behind. You mutate! You grow a spiked tail! Oh, it doesn’t do anything and disappeared with your hallucinations?

Finally, could “your mind make it real” sometimes? When the barriers between reality are so thin, your hallucinations could very well be supplying an actual conduit through which abominations enter the dimension, at least temporarily. These hallucinations might still be constrained (can’t bash obstacles, for example, so “hide in the nearest closet” until your mind stops being a dick becomes a potential strategy).

It needn’t be every time, that one in a million event where you were chased through the woods by a murderous multi-cooker for two hours is plenty enough to swear you off shrooms forever.

some discrimination would be nice.

i liked to visual noise mechanic because of how it disripted the player instead of the survivior, givijg you the illusion of helplessness at night or underground while being sudued in effect at day in light (which is true of rl hallucinations).

More common enemies would be nice. even just taking the curremt spawn list andbpopping down one of the rarer or higher cost ones.

but while here.
Stop spawning monsters inside locked room and im the same locked room as you just outside los. leads to suddenly zombie teleporting. this extends naturally to hallucinations spawning in your backseat and waking you up