Getting into character

^
Bless you for reminding of the debug menu. The biggest regret for me was that I picked the Hates Vegetables. I don’t mind a little morale penalty, but holy jumping jesus on a pogostick, -75 morale for the rest of the day, just for eating a carrot, is something akin to watching your beloved pet die. Truly an unjust penalty if not for the amount, but for the duration. Carrots aren’t even that bad. Onions, garlics and parsley can go die in a fire, though.

I don’t know what’s wrong with me but with some games I get a personal movie going on in my head. It’s not really a movie but an assorted collection of scenes and images, usually starring a familiar actor. “What would he/she do?” is what I keep asking myself. “How would HE react to THIS?” It’s not even that conscious, more like an instinct. Having the right music helps, too. Or maybe I pick my music to complement the mental imagery? I don’t even know. It doesn’t matter. The holodeck is all that matters. :slight_smile:

Aaaand now I’m getting images of Riker. He stands at the edge of a ruined city, with a glassy jaded look in his eyes, scanning his surroundings. Black smudges of smoke or motor grease reside on his face. The thick cloudy sky and the chilly winds don’t exactly cheer him up. At least his tattered clothes keep him warm… for now.

The reason the morale penalties are so high - almost as much as killing an actual person - is so it’s balanced in a gameplay point of view. Eating a carrot is almost as bad as eating a dissected fetus if you hate vegetables; MAN you must hate vegetables.

Recently I’ve been roleplaying a new experimental katana-wielding cowboy man who always says ‘Let’s Dance’ before fighting an army of zeds, slicing them to pieces, with MGR theme music in the background. As you can tell by my new profile picture, I’m having a bit of a Metal Gear Rising craze at the moment; it’ll probably wear off soon but the only thing I can make my characters at the moment are badass swordmasters.

I blame the amazing soundtrack.

I took Hates Vegetables for the bratling seeing as she’s a kid, but man does it screw with your culinary options: there are such great foods you can make that are meat + vegetable. It’s not so bad if you prefer really simple foods like cooked meat and raw fruit, but for those of us who actually cook, it blows. There’s only so much you can do with meat + fruit; I’m tempted to say that “Hates Fruit” (but really, who the hell hates fruit?) should be a lower point value than “Hates Vegetables,” just because of how much “Hates Vegetables” fucks with your cooking options.

Also, I shed a single tear when I think about how even if I play her again, she’d never be able to enjoy planting in spring and then having fresh vegetable salads in summer and fall.

On the other hand, fetus has the subtle and mysterious advantage of being meaty flesh, instead of some sickening acidic veggie that tortures the tastebuds. I think I’m going to use all my (unneeded) veggie seeds, plant them in the next spring, and while they grow under my loving care, I’ll build a nice fancy wooden house, and come harvest, I’ll put all the assorted vegetables on pedestals inside the house in some pretty arrangement, close the door behind me as I step out, set the building on fire and watch them buuuurn, vegetables must all burrrrn. While the house burns, I’ll use the flames to cook up some elk before building a stone house. This is my design. :slight_smile: