Fucking books

When I get the prompt to read the book and select N it still reads it and takes my time.

While not very dangerous if you attempt to read while fighting a turret 5 mins from daybreak and the turret Pow-Pow-Pows you to death then you get annoyed.

“I really shouldn’t read this book now, I’m in a burning building… But I guess I have enough time to read the first few pages… Wow, this is good… Hmmm, nice book… AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRE!”

The Y/N option isn’t for whether or not you should read it, it’s whether or not you should keep reading it until you level up/tell yourself to stop.

Still, I can accidentally hit the key for a book and lose quite a few turns. I really think this should be a double Y/N prompt then.

Huh. That’s understandable, and I approve of the auto-read being there, but the prompt could be a bit clearer. “Study X?” could be interpreted as whether to read the book at all, as well as reading until levelup. Something like “Read until next level?” is a bit metagamey though.

A double layered Y/N prompt such as “Are you sure you want to read that book? Y/N?” Then a “Do you want to study this book? Y/N” might work, but it feels a bit clunky.

I think the best bet here might be to go with an ESC based exit. So if you call the read command then it asks you if you want to study X “Y/N?”, and if you exit that prompt with the ESC key then you don’t read at all, if you input ‘N’ then you read once, and if you input ‘Y’ then you read until the next level/you order a stop/you are interrupted.

That could work but would need documented; IIRC no other Y/N (at least with the caps-safety on) takes Esc as a valid entry. I cold stick it on the wiki though.

Thoughts?

“Do you want to study this book extensively? Y/N (Esc to abort reading)”

Maybe?

I think that looks great, GunnerX. Any coders see anything wrong with it?

I like Gunners suggestion there.