File Bug stopping game play

so I just tried to get this game going again and every time I tried I get this bug right after launcher called
“Failed to Write options to " ,/config/options.json”: moving to tempory file " ,/config/options.json.26816.temp" failed and something similar if I tried to save a character in a world.

also I been away from the game for a while and just recently tried coming back

I need some help here I am ten seconds away from dropping the game again I can’t find any thing on line and nothing I am doing work in fact they make it worse I just had to completly reset a freeze this game is not worth this much headach
Edit ok a bit of a idea might have worked well do one last test the main to problems are in saving a map annnd then it being unable to load the game ater a quit
well three quick join and leave (I never had it work after opening and closing three times)

Report that on github, copy the error log to the issue report and perhaps attach your save file into it too and maybe someone there may be able to help you.

What I would suggest after you’ve done that:

• maybe do a full, clean reinstall of the game.
  • check whether the mods you’re using (if any) are still relevant to the game’s current iteration (whether you’re playing Stable or Experimental), if you can’t tell, you can get just namedrop which mods you’re using (some mods are either extremely outdated or poorly made which can result in weird conflicts);
  • start a new game without any mods whatsoever and see if that still happens.

There are multiple possible reasons for this to happen. One of them - also the one I’d consider most likely - is missing write permissions.

This might be part of the problem. If you’re using the third party launcher, it might tries to save the files at a location with higher protection.
Try downloading the game directly from the website/GitHub and unpack it at a location where this isn’t a problem, start it and see if this fixes it. If it does, consider to change the game directory of the launcher to this location.
You could also try to set the game (not the launcher) to run as an administrator and see if that fixes it.

To help further it would be necessary to know…

• if you’re actually using the third party launcher.
  • the game version you’re (trying to) play on.
  • your operating system.

Also, for the future, please use punctuations. I’ve now tried to read this sentence for 30 minutes and all I’ve got was a massive headache.

I had a idea on what to do and was doing a test to see if it worked. so far it has.

what are write permissions? I’m mostly computer illiterate

On account on anyone else who runs into that problem: What was that idea?

Write permission is what allows you (and your programs) to save files to your computer’s data storage.
Without a write permission, you simply can’t create (or modify and save) any files.
There are more or less secure “zones” (folders) on most operating systems, that (try to) prevent files getting saved to from “insecure” programs or users, mostly with the goal to protect sensitive data from viruses/malware.

On account on anyone else who runs into that problem: What was that idea?

for the fix I did I made a New folder in the user area only for CDDA “C:\Users\Namehere\Cdda” is what it reads as. of couse with Namehere being replaced by my user name. I had been trying to change where the launcher stored the files but nowhere worked so I said F it and made a new folder

Write permission is what allows you (and your programs) to save files to your computer’s data storage.
Without a write permission, you simply can’t create (or modify and save) any files.
There are more or less secure “zones” (folders) on most operating systems, that (try to) prevent files getting saved to from “insecure” programs or users, mostly with the goal to protect sensitive data from viruses/malware.

and so thats write permissions how exactly would I set them?

This totally depends on your operating system, that’s why it’s an important part of a bug report…
But usually - especially without much computer knowledge - you don’t want to change around write or other permissions (since it’s part of a protection for your system). Instead, you do what I’ve described above (and basically what you did anyway):

good to know thanks for the advice

annnnnd I am still getting the problem just took longer to trigger even the game Alone though a direct download won’t play

Welp I have tried everything I can annnnd I’m done this game isn’t worth this rage

You mean… aside from providing the information you were asked for? :laughing:

well then what should I provid?

See post #4:

I can puzzle together that you’re probably using the launcher, and - based on that and the path you’ve named - your operating system is probably Windows, but no chance to guess the version of it or of the game…
Also, guessing just has the potential of wasting huge amount of time on wrong data.

yes its the Launcher for Windows (most recent version on windows) and the Launcher version is 1.5.6

So, does that mean the most recent version of the launcher for Windows, the most recent version of the game for Windows or most recent Windows?
Because as of today and to my knowledge, there are about 20 public Windows versions (server, phone versions and other Microsoft operating systems like MS-DOS excluded). While I doubt the launcher would run on any of the ones dated before Windows XP, it most likely runs on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. It probably also runs on Windows 11 and might even on Windows XP, 2000 and Vista.
So again… which Windows version are you using?

Then I need the version of the game. The third party launcher might name it, but there certainly is a version identification in the main menu of the game (which - to my understanding - you can access).

The version of the third party launcher itself will not help me much, as I can only provide limited support for it (even more than for the game), but most likely is not the problem here anyway.

No idea where I have to set the punctuation in this sentences to understand what you actually meant, but also, what do you mean specifically with “won’t play”? You can’t start it? It produces the same error message? Windows crashes? You can’t load into a world? Everything works but you can’t save the game? You can’t load a previously saved game? Something else entirely?
Did you run the directly downloaded game (not the launcher) in administrator mode (right-click the cataclysm-tiles file, choose Run as administrator)?