Favorite mutations?

[quote=“jcd, post:20, topic:11990”]As i usually start as a 9/8/8/8 survivor, alpha is my go-to mutation line. If i survive long enough and don’t get bored until that time.
Finding eggs for egg mutagen when playing with 91-day seasons can be a problem (you need to survive to 2nd spring at the least - bc it is unlikely to be able to craft bird mutagen within your first spring) and the process is slow.
I also try to get some good NV before going alpha. HighNV does it for me.[/quote]

I play on standard (14 day) seasons, and I still find the egg thing annoying. One thing I do is save all the eggs I find as long as possible, hoping to find an ice lab to put them in - that helps SO much.

Molotovs.

Genetic Chaos + funsies :slight_smile:
Eater of the Dead + Hyper Metabolism = turn any zombie horde into HP

As others have mentioned, elf-A and Alpha are pretty solid, reliable and low-risk. Lizard has a good combo of utility and combat without much that’s particularly debilitating, but it can be really hard to find lizard eggs.

Cephalopod is kind of niche but one of my faves and surprisingly decent. Good night vision, water breathing, possibly negative wet effects iirc (i.e. you get happy for being in the rain or jumping in the river), silent movement, and post-threshold immunity to hulk slams, and seriously decent melee damage with 8 tentacles and tentacle rakes, as well as absolutely insane iirc +7 bonuses to both dexterity and intelligence. Only downsides being high thirst and can’t wear normal gloves and shoes. Oh, and the shell mutation stops you wearing anything on your torso and is absolutely worthless, so purify that ASAP.

I’m much like other experienced players. Elf-A is my Go-To mutation for endgame characters, although quite expensive. Earlier on I typically shoot for having Medical Mutagens, which are somewhat uncommon from labs, but not so rare that they’re too hard to obtain. I don’t really mind the side effects of medical either, but Genetic Instability is the only mutation I’ll go for a purifier if I get.

Lategame my typical spread is Full-Threshold Elf-A, plus Medical, and finishing up with using Alpha to clear up a small number of the negatives that the Elfmed gives me.

Fungal mutation path is the only way for me. If you count that as a mutation path since you don’t have to use filthy, disgusting mutagen. Specifically the super tank tree-like thing, as it’s fireproof, making molotovs super useful.

Oh yeah and the fact that you never have to worry about food or water ever again because you can make shroom berries everywhere.

I’ve started to really take a liking to the chimera category of mutation. It’s kind of a chore to take care of, but once you find expanded digestive system and recycler unit CBM the food situation is much more bearable.

Being a chimera has too many benefits to pass up, especially hyper metabolism, eater of the dead, Apex predator, etc. etc.

[quote=“EditorRUS, post:10, topic:11990”]Slime category is fun. Also a good fap material in your mind.

Playing as a full-on Slime is extremely fun considering how much chaos it brings.[/quote]

Slime is the way to go. Morale boosts from your minions and being wet, immunity to pretty much everything, excellent dex boosts, resistance to being stunned…oh yes and a HUGE intelligence boost. On top of that you can slip through tight spaces with ease. Seriously, it’s great. Just uh…just make sure you have access to LOTS of food and drink.

I’ve fiddled with mutations and my personal favorite is the bird line, the speed bonus is absolutely ridiculous and while it was probably meant to be a ranged set I’ve used it a lot for melee and it results in a surprisingly mobile fighter if you’re running with small weapons (the combat knives, wakazachi, some of the swords if you’re feeling dangerous). As a side bonus you also only need a full meal every other day. The major downside is your carry weight is significantly reduced meaning you can’t lift an entire’s house worth of two-by-fours in one run, but by the time this becomes an issue is about the same time most players have a loot vehicle/mobile base going.

All of them. By the time I was done with Minh Collins he had been injected with Lizard, Bird, Beast, Feline, Lupine, Cattle, Insect, Spider, Medical, and Raptor mutagen. Looked like an anthropomorphic Trico.

Seriously though, I’m gonna have to go with Medical. The recipe book is a common spawn in hospitals, so it’s easy to get the recipe, and with enough skill you can batch craft the stuff easy. Massive benefits that make you basically unkillable, Robust Genetics, increased strength, all with manageable drawbacks. Worst mutations are probably Mood Swings which just stop you from working and are annoying at worst, Vomitous which will cause you to puke your guts out (haven’t gotten this, I don’t know how bad it is), and Genetically Unstable (could be seen as a benefit combined with Robust Genetics).

You get increased size and strength as well, which should make Bird more manageable, because decreased maximum weight carried is a literal pain. As far as tips go, decide which of the mutation trees you plan on using has the worst negative mutations, and then mutate in that tree first. Then purify yourself and mutate again until you have the mutations you want without the really bad negatives. Then go ahead and mutate in other trees with more manageable negatives.

[quote=“Valpo, post:7, topic:11990”]The best mutant is a dead mutant.
Where is my flame thrower. This thread needs purging.[/quote]
fite me. Flames are little more than an inconvenience to a mutant that doesn’t feel pain and has a stupid high health pool.

[quote=“Valpo, post:7, topic:11990”]The best mutant is a dead mutant.
Good luck with that.

[quote=“TheFlame52, post:31, topic:11990”][quote=“Valpo, post:7, topic:11990”]The best mutant is a dead mutant.
Good luck with that.[/quote]
Flamethrowers are always and will always be the best weapons.
They’re the bane of the Mycus. That and nuclear explosives.
Speaking of, Mycus mutations are pretty neat.