Do not let the energy crisis ! :)

And anyone thinking about a stable renewable energy in the game?
Well, we searched the nearest gas station, burned all extracted from the gas station gasoline. and then what?
well - we searched ALL gas stations in the world and burned the hell out of ALL ALL f**king GASOLINE !!! and on what?

SUN, you said. hmm hell… yes… but - BUT!!! i may need to drive just now for save my ass from zombies. and my battery may (SURPRISE!!!) died. and sun is off by clouds. fun… isn’t it?

i see as minimum two alternative

1 wood - metanol by pirolisis cube as gas tank (refill it with any wood pieces).
need crafting recipe for pirolisis cube - ONLY. install it in place of the fuel tank.

well, but then we cut down all the trees around.
and is the trees GROW from 1 to 7 in the game?
or - how many of them at the creation of the world have generated - and so many trees in the world and will remain until our death, if they will not be cut down :slight_smile:
you say that the more of a man does not live life, and I will answer - I mutated somehow strange and now live over a hundred years and not die :slight_smile: Well, that is, I do not I’m dying and that’s it. I became immortal Kashchey (Russian folklore character) :slight_smile:
well I chopped all of the other houses for the wood, burned all the furniture to hell :slight_smile:
and then what?
so what - “that all folks”??? and return to the Stone Age?
fun, friends, heads to? :slight_smile: “We live in a beautiful country with great principle of F**K Fuel Economy” - which means that the motor-generators should be in every shitty toilet :slight_smile:

2 wheat or corn or other grain what can give us alcohol
I think that the best way to teach the engine run on ethanol. wheat plant problems can not be. Wheat can be an alcohol. and - voila!
and - do not need to go far. all without taking your ass off the couch, figuratively speaking.
that is, do not make long hikes for firewood and for other fuel - went to the barn, took the grain, made from grain alcohol, alcohol tucked car and drove off.
think how to make the grain has not forgotten - garden spade in the shed is for sure - dug up a flower bed planted grain crops and waited barn - your gas station - full of fuel. :slight_smile:

for some reason it seems to me that the game is designed for a quick death of the character.
but I think that we must somehow deal with such prejudice. isn’t it? :wink:
we need alternative energy source for car motors.

we need alternative :slight_smile:

thanks for your attention

We’ve got fermentation vats, so I’d accept ethanol-burning engines. Likewise steam engines as well.

That said, a pretty common theme in post-apoc is that we drop a few tech levels as a result, so yeah, Iron Age might not be out of the question.

So many smiley faces, must read everything!!!

I would like to see some other sorts of power but hydroelectric probably will just never be happening, neither wind turbines.

Speaking of which maybe like destroyed dams and wind turbines could be a thing in cata? They can’t be restored to working condition or anything but just to add some more flavour, idk.

[quote=“Jakers, post:3, topic:7080”]So many smiley faces, must read everything!!!

I would like to see some other sorts of power but hydroelectric probably will just never be happening, neither wind turbines.

Speaking of which maybe like destroyed dams and wind turbines could be a thing in cata? They can’t be restored to working condition or anything but just to add some more flavour, idk.[/quote]Actually, at some point in the distant future of CDDA I can see functioning dams and wind turbines being a thing. The electrical grid is shot, but not everything got bombed, and zombies don’t really care about dams and turbines. You can’t rebuild the electrical grid, but power is plentiful by the dam, so it’s a good place to set up a base camp, or maybe some survivors have congregated there. Be careful, though - there’s some nasty surprises in the reservoir.

Small hydroelectric plants are an actual thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nw_vietnam_hydro.jpg
Would require lots of fabrication, and a bit of electronics. Could be installed in practically any flowing water. So far in-game options are a river and an underground stream in LMOE shelter.
The easiest mechanic to implement this would be probably a construction that can be placed only next to a water tile (with a hard-coded mechanism to forbid doing it in swamps/pools/other stagnant water). After that you put a car battery next to it or in its tile and it slowly charges.

The biggest problem with this is that you need to spend vast amounts of time next to it because of Cata’s “reality bubble” effect. In early game it’s not a big deal, you always have a book to read or a thing to craft, but in the late game you do it only when you sleep (unless you’re a mutant and require no sleep).

Btw, do the devs have plans for some kind of selective chunkloading (i.e. calculating not only the reality bubble but some other tiles too)? I foresee a problem with animal spawns slowing the game down, but it would be incredibly good to be able not to babysit certain things.

Also, we need electrolysis for hydrogen. Salt + water + a shitload of charge = hydrogen to use in plasma engines and whatnot. So far the only chances to find hydrogen are scientist corpses, labs and a really rare spawn on certain kinds of zeds, and this makes plasma engines and certain weaponry useless.

Not selective chunkloading, but a combination of bringing things up to date when they enter the reality bubble and hoisting them to the overmap so they continue updating all the time.

The first approach is already used for rotting food and funnels gathering rain, and can be extended to many other things, like simple fields.

The second is the approach we’re taking with monsters to implement hordes without dynamic spawning messing stuff up and to allow NPCs to wander around independent of the player.

btw in the underlevels - i mean subway for example - we can find lava out. and we can build thermo electric station like in Oxygen not Included. only need to transfer by the pipes the water to the heat (lava) and we get steam which we can convert to electric.

… and we need steam turbine and steam cooler which convert steam to water.

@Aluminumfoil Why did you delete this?

err LONG? three years is so long? HA!!! HA!!! HA!!!
it is a fresh thread.

i am replay on the thread which is abandoned 10 years… or more?

in the principle - this is simptomatic of short-memory of our humankind. and it is sorrow. because thouse who not see the past - cannot see the future - he is a blind kitty.