Destroying a portal (and a question about weather/seasons)

These are two completely unrelated questions. Sorry, but I don’t think either will need much of a reply, so I thought I’d just post once.

1. Can a portal be destroyed? I need to know for role-playing purposes, mainly. I’m blogging about my character’s adventures in Cataclysm, and I need to figure out what decision he’ll make next.

Early in the game, he opened the back door of a grocery store and discovered a portal inside. It was dark, so I don’t know what else was inside, but he’d heard rumors about portals (me, too - that’s all I know about them, basically), so he shut the door and ran. Now, however, it’s months later and he’s seen some horrific creatures held in cages at a science lab, and he’s made that connection.

He’s always been very cautious, so he could just keep running. On the other hand, after a year on his own, he’s more confident in his own abilities and could be developing a what-the-hell attitude (if he really is the last human being left alive on the Earth, as it seems). So he could return to that portal and try to destroy it - maybe by burning the building down?

If he threw a few Molotov cocktails at that corner of the grocery store, that would likely set the building on fire and collapse the roof, wouldn’t it? (Even from the outside?) With luck, that would cover the portal with rubble, right? If not - and there’s probably no guarantee, even if that has a chance of destroying it - is there any other way to destroy them?

1. My second question… well, I’m just wondering if I screwed up my game or not. When I started, I left the length of seasons at the default - just 15 days. But in the middle of winter, I was wishing I’d changed that, so I did. I closed my current game, then opened the options and doubled that number to 30. Unfortunately, when I loaded my saved game again, it was summer - and snowing!

I was worried that I’d screwed up - as I say, I’m writing about the adventures of this character, so I really don’t want to start over - so I immediately changed that back to 15 again. And it seemed to be OK after that, but now I’m four days into spring, and it’s been snowing pretty much all the time.

Note that the weather has been changing, though just from one kind of winter weather to another. And if I understand the wiki entry, this is still possible (even in the summer, apparently, let alone the spring). So do I have anything to worry about here?

Thanks! This is a great game, and the community here is always nearly-always very helpful. :slight_smile:

Bill

I found onw in my game too and I was trying to enter it to see what was on the otherside, but was unable to. Can you go into these?

sry, just posting a related question :slight_smile:

Nuke the site from orbit a missile silo. It’s the only way to be sure.

Dropping a building on it if the portal is inside a building would probably also work, and yes, molotoving the walls will burn a building down.

You cannot go into portals yet. I believe it is planned for “someday™.”

Changing the season length will mess up your character’s placement in time because your save records the number of turns since the game began, and calculates the date and time by dividing that by the number of turns in a day, not by counting days and seasons.

Snow in early Spring is normal.

PS: link your cata blog :3

[quote=“WCG, post:1, topic:5813”]2. My second question… well, I’m just wondering if I screwed up my game or not. When I started, I left the length of seasons at the default - just 15 days. But in the middle of winter, I was wishing I’d changed that, so I did. I closed my current game, then opened the options and doubled that number to 30. Unfortunately, when I loaded my saved game again, it was summer - and snowing!

I was worried that I’d screwed up - as I say, I’m writing about the adventures of this character, so I really don’t want to start over - so I immediately changed that back to 15 again. And it seemed to be OK after that, but now I’m four days into spring, and it’s been snowing pretty much all the time.[/quote]

Hey Bill, If you were like 3 + 1/2 seasons into the game then you were on day, oh, 3.5*15, 52. after you made the seasons longer summer would have ended around day 60, and your current weather would not have changed from what it was. so it all worked ok.

you could double your season length at the end of year 2. that should let your story stay in sync with the weather etc. good luck till then!

Worlds gradually get colder as all that CO2 humanity was producing is gone, global warming in reverse. So yeah.

It’s in his goddamnsig,
eai

OK, guys, thanks for the replies. If my character is still alive a year from now, I might try to change the season length then. :slight_smile:

And you can find my current Cataclysm story, “The Survivor,” here, though it probably won’t be particularly interesting for experienced players. I’m just doing it for fun.

I did, however, get a reader to try the game, and now she says she’s “obsessed” with Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. So there’s that. :smiley:

Thanks again!

Bill

she says she's [b]"obsessed"[/b] with Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead

Yuno_Gasai_plays_CDDA_while_Yuki_tries_to_run_away.jpg

Nope, no luck. I poured gasoline around the foundations of the building (it was actually a coffee shop, not the grocery store next door - I’d gotten a bit mixed up in the dark) and then threw a bunch of Molotov cocktails at the walls and door. It was a very nice fire - a raging fire, very hot - and the roof crashed down on the portal. But the portal is still there, amid the piles of rubble and rebar. Fun!

So now my character has a calling, other than just survival. :slight_smile:

This is a great game, isn’t it? This is why I enjoy blogging about my character’s experiences. It’s not just a fun game to play, it’s the kind of game where the stories just write themselves!

Thanks again for the replies.

Bill

You can’t destroy portals. You’re reading too much into things, Bill.