Cyber Implant Holster/Sheath/Gun Slide/Quick-knife system?

Just a random thought: Now that sheathes and holsters are implemented, it would be fun to have a Robocop-style implantable internal weapon storage. This could range from the semi-large thigh compartment that Robocop himself has to perhaps a small spring-loaded sheath or holster mounted inside the forearm that can carry a knife or hold-out type pistol.

The main counter-argument here would probably be “Why not just use a real sheath/holster?”. Well, obviously, they’re not as cool. Plus an implanted one could be used while otherwise naked, and wouldn’t cause bodily encumbrance. For a mechanical bonus, perhaps the cyber-holster-sheath could be tweaked such that you can always perform a perfect draw of your knife/quickdraw your gun/etc without requiring the prerequisite skill level. Concealment of weapons isn’t a big deal currently, but it would save you from having to deal with NPCs telling you to “drop the fucking $weapon, you monster!” whenever they see you. (If you play with them enabled, at least.)

If you want to boil it down to a realism argument, admittedly most of these concepts are designed for fully cybered robo-limbs without meat components and their accompanying biological constraints, which Cataclysm does not seem to have yet. But we already have Internal Torso Storage, so there’s clearly some body-safe storage technology in existence, and it doesn’t seem a huge leap to this idea.

I personally don’t imagine there’d be room anywhere in the body for an implantable scabbard; swords seem to be uniformly longer than a human thigh. I suppose while you could consider putting one straight down next to your spine, but you’d be unable to bend your torso at all if you also had a rigid blade weapon of some sort stuck in there…

Me gusta.

I love the idea!

Yes +1 to robocop holsters for all.

yea i what this on CDDA!!

Some might be surprised by this, but I see no problem with this idea whatsoever :slight_smile:

In fact, I’m thinking downloading your brain into a cyborg body should probably be somehow possible.
That would probably be the ultimate combination of bionic advantages/disadvantages.
Really strong, really tough, but if you run out of power you die, and by the way, your body consumes a lot of power :smiley:
Plus maintenance…

“I do not eat. I do not sleep.”

“Then what are you doing with all that gasoline?”

“I said eat. I said nothing about drinking.”

I like.

Dying if you run out of power sounds dire.

I’d suggest a mechanic in which you can reserve some power and prevent bionics from using it then.

installing your body on a cyborg? (thinking about metalgear rising revengens)i can be a NINJA!!! cuting mi enemys in billios of litel pisses must be in CDDA pleas

[quote=“ChristopherWalken, post:8, topic:5994”]Dying if you run out of power sounds dire.

I’d suggest a mechanic in which you can reserve some power and prevent bionics from using it then.[/quote]
You’ve got two solid options:
Don’t turn yourself into a cyborg.
Turn your bionics off as needed.

A reserve power thing would be a nice-to-have, but not required.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:10, topic:5994”][quote=“ChristopherWalken, post:8, topic:5994”]Dying if you run out of power sounds dire.

I’d suggest a mechanic in which you can reserve some power and prevent bionics from using it then.[/quote]

A reserve power thing would be a nice-to-have, but not required.[/quote]

At the moment there are some bionics that use tons of power though (eg. Time Dilation drained my entire power pool when I tried and it was over 100 at the time) and I’d really hate to die due to a bionic that doesn’t state its cost correctly or a passive one like the memory banks (which I personally never use but it’s a good example) draining all power in the background.

Aside from these worries though I really like the cyborg idea overall, definitely a path I could see myself taking since I’ve never been big on mutagen.

[quote=“ChristopherWalken, post:11, topic:5994”][quote=“Kevin Granade, post:10, topic:5994”][quote=“ChristopherWalken, post:8, topic:5994”]Dying if you run out of power sounds dire.

A reserve power thing would be a nice-to-have, but not required.[/quote]

At the moment there are some bionics that use tons of power though (eg. Time Dilation drained my entire power pool when I tried and it was over 100 at the time) and I’d really hate to die due to a bionic that doesn’t state its cost correctly or a passive one like the memory banks (which I personally never use but it’s a good example) draining all power in the background.

Aside from these worries though I really like the cyborg idea overall, definitely a path I could see myself taking since I’ve never been big on mutagen.[/quote]

Time Dilation is a one-off, and I suppose that if it comes to that we can have it cap at 100 power or something.

A power cap sounds good to me.

[quote=“ChristopherWalken, post:11, topic:5994”]At the moment there are some bionics that use tons of power though (eg. Time Dilation drained my entire power pool when I tried and it was over 100 at the time) and I’d really hate to die due to a bionic that doesn’t state its cost correctly or a passive one like the memory banks (which I personally never use but it’s a good example) draining all power in the background.

Aside from these worries though I really like the cyborg idea overall, definitely a path I could see myself taking since I’ve never been big on mutagen.[/quote]
Time dilation actually takes up 100% of your power, if you have enough health (high starting strength, tough series of mutations) and 1000+ power you can run 300 to 1200 mph briefly before dropping dead from the friction damage, depending on your health.