Crime derail: NPCs design: What's their endgame look like?

Why is sex worse than murder? You can murder npcs in this game, so if you are worried about rape being in the game just add in a high mood penalty that lasts a long time ( unless you have a trait that counters it) with the chance of seriously getting hurt or worse if you pick the wrong victim.

Really though I don’t think the game should have highly descriptive sex or anything. Just the ability to start a family. I mean even in Minecraft you can have “sex” get married and have children with a mod called Minecraft Comes Alive.

=Edit=
I just read Obok Meatgod, please forget everything I said.

[quote=“Repressive, post:1, topic:8507”]Why is sex worse than murder? You can murder npcs in this game, so if you are worried about rape being in the game just add in a high mood penalty that lasts a long time ( unless you have a trait that counters it) with the chance of seriously getting hurt or worse if you pick the wrong victim.

Really though I don’t think the game should have highly descriptive sex or anything. Just the ability to start a family. I mean even in Minecraft you can have “sex” get married and have children with a mod called Minecraft Comes Alive.

=Edit=
I just read Obok Meatgod, please forget everything I said.[/quote]

Err, yeah.

I’m glad you came around so quickly, but for those who remain unconvinced: http://youtu.be/FqMUl5Xj93Y

Murder ends suffering. Rape continues suffering.

Same goes for torture and mutilation. It all continues suffering.

Honestly, I choose the psychopath and cannibal traits for a reason. Right now NPCs are a kind of minor feature of the game. I know development of factions and NPC relations is coming, but right now, for me, they are just cannon fodder and sources of meat and items.

[quote=“Repressive, post:1, topic:8507”]Why is sex worse than murder? You can murder npcs in this game, so if you are worried about rape being in the game just add in a high mood penalty that lasts a long time ( unless you have a trait that counters it) with the chance of seriously getting hurt or worse if you pick the wrong victim.

=Edit=
I just read Obok Meatgod, please forget everything I said.[/quote]

And on the sex topic, I’d probably end up gettting my kids killed so it’d be a feature I wouldn’t use.

On the rape topic, murder is different from rape. In murder, you kill another human being. Happens all the time, completely natural, society frowns on it. If we never developed society as it is, murder would be happening left and right.

Unfortunately, same goes for rape. However instead of killing someone, you have sex with them. It’s natural in the animal kingdom, hell, dolphins have sex for pleasure not just procreation. Rape happens a lot in the wild world and if we hadn’t developed society, it would happen a lot more.

Now, I don’t condone rape, and I don’t think it would be a good addition, but if you think about it, people would revert to a more ‘wild’ state.

[quote=“Muaddib, post:3, topic:8507”]Murder ends suffering. Rape continues suffering.

Same goes for torture and mutilation. It all continues suffering.[/quote]

And I’m taking what I’m about to say from my best friend, a girl who has been raped herself, and she told me that, “The rape wasn’t painful or actually terrible while it happened, it was more of the afterthought that was bad. I felt filthy and disgusting. But no, I wasn’t in pain at all. I had no suffering.”

Can we uh, move the discussion of rape to maybe another thread?

Can we uh, move the discussion of rape to maybe another thread?

Done. Meyar’s request is a pretty decent illustration of why we don’t make rape an option on the same order as murder/cannibalism/slaving zombies: it tends to really undermine whatever else was going on.

And yeah, Wardenn’s best friend may have experienced it her way. Other survivors have different experiences. Rape is using someone’s body for your gratification: pretty much the fullest form of “objectifying” one could do. Rape != Sex.

I’m pretty sure that no rape survivor wants to encounter rape in xyr gaming. I’ve heard folks say that they might somehow be OK with the concept being present–encounter a survivor, etc–but involving the PC directly is dangerous at best, and quite likely fun-ending for folks.

DDA seeks to be as accessible as possible. That means that I’m much more concerned with folks with PTSD not getting triggered than I am with folks thinking rape (somehow) makes the game better. I don’t know how it might, nor do I care to.

With the amount of exposure we’ve got, I’m sure there’s at least one rapist somewhere who has played or is playing DDA. Might even be on the forums. Xyr–likely his, rapists tend to be male, last I read–behavior isn’t cool, and doesn’t need portrayed in-game.

We’re not interested in portraying rape in DDA. We can’t stop you from putting it in your version, but we will not support any rape content, mod or mainline.

THANK. YOU.

Thank you, KA101, for keeping the game out of that clusterfuck.

Rape adds very little to nothing to the game while adding a lot of negatives. It would just be out of place, and I’m sure you could add a morale bonus or something, but I can’t think of a single good reason why you WOULD add it to the game, while I could list dozens of reasons why you wouldn’t. It just seems like being controversial for the sake of being controversial.

Sex, I guess you might have a bit more of an argument but again, for what purpose? If you really wanted, I don’t see why you cant just use your imagination.

There’s nothing “controversial” about adding rape to DDA. It’s not going to happen.

Sexual content deserves its own thread.