Contact lenses

How faesible would it be to introduce contact lenses to the game?

They could be “futuristic”, and thus require no cleaning or maintenance, but have to be taken out at night, or risk a debuff, and go “rotten” after a week or so in game.

They would then give you whichever type of vision you need without any encumbrance whatsoever.

Technically, I don’t see any major hurdles with them. However, I think balance issues would need to be sorted out before they’d get incorporated into the official version, since currently the balancing factor with Near-Sighted and Far-Sighted is that you have to wear easily-damaged glasses (that happen to interfere with sunglasses and such).

I’d almost say that contact lenses should require maintenance, actually. That would make it something that you have to actively manage, and thus a bit closer to the current drawback of those two traits.

.4 has a new armor called power armor. t hat appears has addons and can be buffed. you cannot wear glasses with power armor. so we need away to balance for this.

Lenses with 1 encumbrance could work as a bad fit and give no or limited sight bonus. 0 encumberance gives you normal sight? Just so you’ll have to scrounge around for a while.

I think the way to solve that is to change the way power armor interacts with your worn items… anything else would just be a hasty patch. There’s no reason you shouldn’t be able to wear glasses with power armor. Power armor doesn’t even come with a helmet by default, it makes no sense to restrict face/head gear until at least you are wearing the power armor helmet.

[quote=“Soron, post:2, topic:806”]Technically, I don’t see any major hurdles with them. However, I think balance issues would need to be sorted out before they’d get incorporated into the official version, since currently the balancing factor with Near-Sighted and Far-Sighted is that you have to wear easily-damaged glasses (that happen to interfere with sunglasses and such).

I’d almost say that contact lenses should require maintenance, actually. That would make it something that you have to actively manage, and thus a bit closer to the current drawback of those two traits.[/quote]

Ok, granted. I’d be happy to see that (say, require the application of contact lens solution to keep them from rotting, somehow. I’d have no idea of the coding challenges that would entail, though.)