Cities are basically unapproachable during the day

I get that, I’m just saying when you find hundred round belts for both 7.62 / 50 cal and said Ma deuce can shoot semi-automatic you’re not really worrying about Ammo if you see a Skelly juggernaut or Zed Hulk, especially not when the 50 cal can pulp Corpses by itself most of the time.

Never used the coil gun yet but could see that being a decent turret mount if you had electricity and spare nails by dismantling furniture

Ok, but that’s late game. None of that is a reason to refrain from using vehicles to safely run down zeds early to mid-game before you find piles of ammo for a turret. You need a vehicle either way, right? It’s not like there’s a short supply of vehicles. You can have multiple for different purposes. You can build them from scratch. My other vehicle is a mobile base with kitchen, chemistry set, welding rig, forge, kiln, 10+ solar panels, a huge array of storage batteries, bed, robot driver, storage tanks, etc.

I dunno… I guess maybe I finally found my play style? I can’t imagine why I’d spend any time throwing rocks at zombies. And I don’t know why the early game vehicle option isn’t talked about more. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

install CBMs, then you can walk into the city and have your finger lasers pew pew all the zombies away~

if you’re lucky, find a gun shop, improvised lockpick it open, steal the goods, likely have tons of eyebots swarm into town with their accompanying police and riot bots… that generally clears a town of zombies… but then you have robots.

… but more realistically, outfit a heavy vehicle with either spike rams or similar hurty-smashy impliments, make sure the vehicle has a welder attached to the back so you can repair it easily, and go to town driving down the road mashing as you go.

1 Like

FWIW, I play similarly to Yarnosh. Once I can reliably make clean water I go searching for a car. Not so much for zombie killing though as for the trunk space. Only played once on 0.E though.

Sure, but that’s late game. It takes insane skills to reliably install CBMs and that’s assuming you can even find them. I’ve certainly never seen the finger laser CBM.

AFAIK you can’t pick the locks on metal doors on gun stores. But a hacksaw will get you in a window. Or, again, just use a vehicle to punch a hole in the wall.

I don’t know if they nerfed gun stores, but I’ve found them to be pretty much useless. Not worth the trouble early game and of no value mid to late game. They just have a bunch of guns with odd ammo types that they may or may not even stock in the store. I just end up with a stack of guns, mods, and magazines that I can’t actually use. The only viable gun route I have found (if you want to use it as primary weapon) is zombie soldiers. Pick up an M4A1 that almost every zombie soldier seems to drop and you can get (500/500) belts of 5.56/223 ammo from turrets that you can easily just run down with a vehicle.

I found a survivor’s camp and just rammed the turrets on the corners revealing thousands of rounds of ammo. The trick is to “crouch” in driver’s seat and the turrets can’t hit you. So, again, it comes back to vehicles early game.

no you can. locked gun store doors are one of the few types of metal doors you -can- lockpick.

that said, a hacksaw works just as well yes.
all three of these options are also likely to set off the gunstores alarm!

i find it a good supply of early game shotguns that you can then use to clear out the town, and then take over said town… gun stores always got the 00 point buckshot.

Sure, like maybe a single stack of 20 shells, in my experience. Maybe I’ve just been extremely unlucky in my last game but I’ve raided about 7 gun stores and stil didn’t come out with enough of any one type of ammo to take over a decent sized town. I just ignored guns until I found ammo belts on turrets. Handguns and shotguns also have a really poor range. Barely enough to keep distance from boomers.

Gun stores in 0.E are a noob trap as far as I can tell. Or maybe somehow the game syncs ammo availability with what’s going on IRL with ammo. I can’t find ammo in gun stores IRL either, LOL.

i mean, its also entirely possible to find a gun store already broken into, barricaded and with zombies hanging around… in which case you might find like 3 guns when you clear it out completely.

No. Even pristine ones aren’t guaranteed to have 00’s, and neither any other particular kind of ammo.

Getting an ammo vending machine is nice though. Nowhere is 100% garenteed ammo especially not a specific type except turrets and bots. Best to find a .223 weapon for the infinite supply of nato rounds if you want to garentee using something.

Killing zombies is honestly the best source of ammo. Especially boomers seem to drop it frequently but it’s an oddly common drop off pretty much any zombie. Typically 50 rounds or 20 shells. Usually restocked my shotgun off the corpses which still leaves cities the best general ammo source but for a different reason.

military bases are 100% guarenteed ammo, but thats because you’re literally breaking into a place that’s full of people with weapons, and going to the armory.

My usual tactic to deal with zombies in the early game (aside from “avoid contact”) is to set up a kill zone in a house, usually one relatively isolated.

I choose a window, better if it’s in a small room like a bathroom. Then I move furniture so that there’s only a singhle path, one tile wide, that leads away from the window and deeper into the house.
Then I wait for zombies to come at me through the window, standing over some piece of furniture. I strike, then fall back on the open space I left on the floor and strike again as they clumsily stumble over the stuff I put in the way.

With a bit of practice you learn how many times you can hit before having to retreat: when done correcly, you’ll hit the zombies again and again, without ever giving them a chance to strike back.
For extra security, you may want to barricade the other ways in so you don’t get surrounded: bookcases work really well for this.

I never fight zombies in the open until I’m feeling confident that I’m reasonably skilled and equipped: I always fall back and lure them toward the place I set up for the purpose.

1 Like

Use spears, you can find a pitchfork in rural houses and farms, craft a copper spear on day 1 if you start in shelter or risk raiding a mansion or museum for quality melee weapons

The traits quick and fleet footed allow you to walk faster than most zombies, this allows you to use the reach attacks of spears to attack from a safe distance
If your stamina bar starts to get low you can walk around them until it regenerates, as long as you have at least over 50% stamina and there aren’t too many.

Make sure to only attract 1-2 without skills, more as your character increases their skills.
Kill those that are faster than you such as dogs and runners first.
You can clear out entire cities with this method, though keep in mind this method becomes harder to pull off as zombies evolve, if you start regularly meeting late game zombies you might want to switch to guns.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe that if there’s only 1 zombie next to you, it can’t attack you unless you stand still for another turn
If dogs are a problem, it’s wise to put points in piercing and melee.

If this still doesn’t work, here’s a crutch you can use
Pick police sniper, you start with a sniper + rifle scope and skills
Wander around until you find a military installation, preferably an outpost but helipad is fine
It must be in the open, if it’s not then you will likely die
Shoot the turrets from exactly 51 tiles away, they’ll see you and attack you at 50 tiles
After you’re done, walk up to them and take their ammo, switch to pistol if there’s enemies remaining
Grab an M4 and you’ve got enough ammo to do whatever you want.

Eh, you can just craft yourself a staff sling and pack a few rocks. Each deals around 20 damage and has 20 range.

running through town with a M4 and 2000 ammo man i don’t see what the problem is~

如果你能够拥有消耗蓄电池的车载武器,那么会轻松许多!在家,利用太阳能缓慢为其充电,2*40000mA是个理想的数字。准备好所需要的食物和工具,从城镇边缘缓缓靠近中心。吸引到大量僵尸不是问题,可以通过倒车以前所未有的速度撤离,或是依赖强悍的装甲来碾碎敌人!平常的行驶最好用从电力汽车上拆下的大型电力引擎/普通电力引擎,货仓内常备一个汽油和柴油引擎(不需要太大功率),以便“不时之需”!

1 Like

GL finding weapons using batteries as their only ammo in vanilla.
And then GL killing evolved zeds with them.

that right there is one of the reasons i say the battery mods for tools should be usable on weapons as well… it would make a lot of energy based weapons a lot more viable as you could, say, pop a storage battery into one, or hotswap several batteries.

what if: single shot laser musket, uses up a single batteries worth of charge (100, basically) but does a bunch of damage, and then you have to take the time to reload it. i know higher end laser guns use more than that, but they usually have plutonium batteries

but they’re specifically talking about mounting a laser gun to a turret. and while vanilla i think theres only one (laser) gun that works for that… mods fix that problem.

that’s to be expected honestly. Cities are massive population centers so they shouldn’t be a walk in the park. It’s a risk/reward system you should keep in mind, and to keep as much distance as possible if you don’t think you can take a horde. remember, “just cause a place is dangerous doesn’t mean it’s worth looting”

If you’re having trouble with surviving cities take my usual trick of dealing with cities and get used to walking on rooftops… the dead own the ground now…
In other words you can use corners and water spouts to climb up to the roof and break aggro. If you find a spear you can use it to thin the horde.
Another trick to prevent being stun locked or your doom spiral is setting fires to lure them in. You’ll take a bit of damage lighting them the fire but it beats the hell out of trying to punch them.

basically you’ll have to think alot more tactically than just charging into battle

1 Like

As a go to pyromaniac, fire is life. Make a small fire, lure a zombie into the flames, make a second fire, repeat till it grows into a bonfire, perfection.

Sure it destroys loot, usually I spare a cop or soldier zombie to search them (an preventing small explosives catching fire); But just seeing massive hordes stroll in just to drop down in the flames? worth it.