Car faults

Cars break down. Its a fact of life. Car in cataclysm dont break down.
Not often enough. My proposal is that cars should break to mundane faults. LIke a fuel injection blockage or a broken suspension or jammed steering or something. A new option to the car menu. ®epair fault You’d need different levels of mechanics to repair it. Like something easy. Say a broken exhaust would be easy. But a snapped clutch cable is more difficult.

The more a car is used the higher chance it has for a fault. say it goes up by 0.001% chance per 5 miles or something. Easier faults occur more commonly with a 0.5 - 1% chance to happen. and other faults a very rare.

Flat tires, ho!

Honestly I’d like to see replacing car tires to be an easier task. Right now it requires pretty high mechanics (what is it, 4?) before you can even replace a tire. Which is a pretty basic task.

And then make tires more vulnerable.

But yes, I think general ‘light’ vehicle problems with lower mechanics requirements to fix (and special tools) would be fun and make vehicles less of a blank check for success.

Maybe tie it to part conditions? Fuel lines more likely to act up when the gas tank is in bad shape, etc.

Flat tires are already handled by wheel “destroyed” status, last I knew.

So how’d you handle it?

For example, a half-full motorbike stops in a town. You have (decent) tires, so you suspect your (yellow) engine and (light green) veh. controls. You don’t need exactly high-level skills to change that type of gear, and you always carry the tools in your box, right? Repairing has certain requirements, so you can just get rid of the parts that create problems, and use whatever you can find in the vicinity to start the vehicle going.
So, again?

I thought the whole “car fault” thing was an issue that didn’t require part-swapping. Just maintenance, with problems (perhaps the vehicle makes noises, accelerates more slowly, uses more gas, etc) happening if you don’t look after the car. And then you have to spend an in-game hour or two in Mechanics rolls to fix the issue.

Seemed acceptably realistic but not game-breaking.

Oh i already feel the pain.
If they won’t make the break downs happen at realistic times , you will find yourself just repairing the car after every time you use it.
If this gets added , i demand cars on roads to be in good or perfect shape and no more car chassis , they ase just ridiculous (3 days in the apocalypse and most of the cars are completely trashed).
Unless they launched atomic bombs , there is no reason for chassises to sit on the roads.

[quote=“woflsipder, post:7, topic:2439”]Oh i already feel the pain.
If they won’t make the break downs happen at realistic times , you will find yourself just repairing the car after every time you use it.
If this gets added , i demand cars on roads to be in good or perfect shape and no more car chassis , they ase just ridiculous (3 days in the apocalypse and most of the cars are completely trashed).
Unless they launched atomic bombs , there is no reason for chassises to sit on the roads.[/quote]

Uh, nukes were dropped. There’s a reason most of the Craters (and all of the ones that don’t show up on the map) are radioactive. I agree that the uniformly needy vehicles are annoying, though–at least there ought to be more spare tires around.

[quote=“KA101, post:8, topic:2439”][quote=“woflsipder, post:7, topic:2439”]Oh i already feel the pain.
Unless they launched atomic bombs , there is no reason for chassises to sit on the roads.[/quote]

Uh, nukes were dropped. There’s a reason most of the Craters (and all of the ones that don’t show up on the map) are radioactive. I agree that the uniformly needy vehicles are annoying, though–at least there ought to be more spare tires around.[/quote]
Apparently these were mysterious and classified shaped-car explosives…

I think this would be a step in the right direction for nerfing cars.
[size=4pt](cars op plz nerf)[/size]