Best vehicle to modify?

My survivors’ bases often end up with the used car lot effect: 2-3 solar cars being used as impromptu generators, an aquatic car, a security van or APC, some carts and bicycles, and various military vehicles being scavenged for parts.

2 Likes

Always made use of security/swat vans. I don’t like big and bulky death mobile bases, as the more storage I have the more cluttered and filled with crap I find the base becomes.

The size of the vans allow me to fit everything I need with room to spare. Humvees are a little too tight since I like installing all the vehicle mounted stations, APC’s are too large to maintain and maneuver for me.

2 Likes

I found an Atomic Mini Tank from the old version of the Tanks mod, and fell in love with it. Took some removal of interior spaces, but it made a GREAT mobile base. It was maneuverable and tough as nails. Only issue with it came from camera placement - quarterpanels on the glacis, so monsters could easily see in. Probably could have solved that with some curtains. Swapping out the quarterpanels for heavy-duty boards meant that my tank had some blind spots.

I have had great luck converting a Swat truck into a Rv, add some reinforced solar’s and a security camera from an APC and you can sneak past zombies in your car.

The security vans that have the valuables in them (gems and what not) make a good early game vehicle i’ve found, they are robust enough to take hits and if you find a vehicle that has military plating on it (APC or Humvee) you can extend the usage of the security vans by swapping out the armored plates it has with the ones from the APC/Humvee and it uses diesel which is a might bit easier to get your hands on than the fuel that the APC/Humvee use (that stuff that starts with a J i think) plus it has reasonably decent storage from the get go (you don’t have to spend that much time installing more trunk space as it has some in the back already)

JP8 is something that’s sufficiently similar to diesel to be used in diesel engines without any loss of efficiency. You can’t mix the two fuels in the same tank, though, and if you have two tanks with different (compatible) fuel you can manually switch from using one tank to using the other. I don’t know if you have to restart the engine when running out of the first fuel or if the switch over is automatic.

1 Like