Best place for a base?

I’ve used a house with the curtains closed quite often. On dynamic if you find a house that sticks out quite a bit then you’re good. Used begining evac shelter as starting base quite a bit. Right now I have an uber mobile home made out of a Flatbed truck that I extended to max length. You can check it out in the ‘Vehicle show and tell’ thread.

I’ve seen public works on the map but never had a need to check one out. WOW, they are AMAZING bases! at least the one I found is.

maybe an hour run to two towns, equal distance away, large highway to the south and its nestled in a cozy forest.

seriously, check out a public works when you get the chance, all kinds of lootz there as well!

I’ve seen them, yes they make great bases. I can’t find one in my current game.

I don’t care for the internal layout of the PW main building, but after burning a couple of them down through stove mishaps (don’t store ammo in the lockers opposite a fire btw), I realized I could build a better house next to the road leading to it.

I’m looking for a gas station so i can fill up the half dozen steel cans I got from my PW to fuel my jackhammer. imma tear out a few of the internal walls as I agree, it’s poorly laid out but the open compound is glorious.

Assuming you can get there the LMOE (Last Man On Earth) shelters make great bases. They’re built in caves, they’re underground, they’re often far away from the zombie infested cities, but often near roads and are in the middle of a forest, and they have supplies, a workshop, guns and ammo, books, a toilet (good for water if you don’t mind cleaning it), and a bed, and there’s only one way in or out of the shelter, and that’s through the metal door.

I find that if I build a huge mobile base it runs out of gas quickly.
That or tires explode.

I don’t carry many spares so trap fields are terrible. Especially when your gastank gets destroyed. Out of fuel, trapped in a forest.

I just turned a gigantic apartment tower into my fortress. From up top I watch my fenced in pets slowly reanimate as my zombie belly dancers.

Or, in humanese, apartment towers make for great bases. Easy to fortify, lots of stuff you can decontruct, and, well, shit, it is a giant friggin tower that makes for an excellent fortress for your cybernetically enhanced super human to plot post apocalyptic world domination.

I once built a vehicle on one of those towers. I drove off onto a hulk.

I was scared and hiding in a corner for hours fearing the sunrise.

I fought the dawn, and the. Dawn won.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:29, topic:1256”]I once built a vehicle on one of those towers. I drove off onto a hulk.

I was scared and hiding in a corner for hours fearing the sunrise.

I fought the dawn, and the. Dawn won.[/quote]

I have a hulk in a reinforced glass and steel cage. I call him joey.

I’ve had the best luck so far with a mansion on the corner of a town. Annoyingly labs are far away, but a mansion has a crapload of room, and I found lots of books there to build up skills I’d otherwise spend seasons and many, many lives trying to do.

[quote=“gtaguy, post:27, topic:1256”]I find that if I build a huge mobile base it runs out of gas quickly.
That or tires explode.[/quote]

More tanks and more tires tends to fix the problem I find.

Remember flare, any tire can be fixed by any sized tire of the same type.
Also, you can harvest metal tanks from any broken down vehicle. My mobile home has 10 gas tanks.

My mobile home can go up to 685 MPH. (Its just a car with a bed, solar panel, RV kitchen unit and lots of engines. Oh, and lots of blades. SPINNING DEATH-MOBILE GO!)

working on reinforcing my public works. it’s in a Z shape of road so i’ve made a drawbridge like appearance to the pits i’m digging. the surrounding forest will do wonders for a palisade wall.

I’m in love with my compound. the only thing that saddens me is the complete lack of gas stations anywhere within an entire days run of the place.

I generally make use of evac shelters and labs near towns and places of interest. In 0.5, I am enjoying using Public Works for a base. They seem to be on the outskirts of towns. In my current game, I’ve found a lone gas station in between towns. It would make for the perfect base due to its accessible array of gas pumps. Unfortunately, I already set up shop at a Public Works. Can’t be bothered to move yet.

I got a lucky break for once, i’m in an evac station between 2 large towns with a megamart in the middle of nowhere, and 2 gas stations like 5 minutes away, it’s perfect!

I found an LMOE shelter midway between two cities, with gas stations nearby, and another LMOE shelter a short walk to the southwest. The workshop was chock full of tools and food, and the second LMOE shelter was full of guns. Almost felt a little too easy.

At one point I found two mansions near the city and since they have so much space I could use it for storing just about everything, though probably making a mobile base would be nice, too.

LMOE’s, Ho-made compounds in the forest and mobile bases.
I was hoping cabins would be ok but they really suck, too many entrances to worry about, in cataclysm choke points are best unless dealing with rats, then it sucks.

I miss the houses you could find in the forests and swamps randomly, they sort of felt like those rich people homes that are in odd places throughout the world (alebit like the totally normal looking house in napa county that’s about 30 miles from any road)