Base Auto-Manager (Basic Logistics)

I’ve seen before that the devs don’t want the situation where the game starts to play itself, but there are a handful of things that I believe could both fit with the setting, match the theme, and also take a bit of tedium out of the game itself.

As I slaved hours upon hours making specific parts by hand for my stationary base, only to wind up failing after 8+ hours of trying to make this one stupid part I’d need 3 more of, I imagined to myself how much easier it would be if there was a chute of some kind that I could just dump my bounty into and a series of pipes or something would handle the rest for me. This, of course, falls straight into the lap of that whole ‘game plays itself’ thing, but the more I thought about it the more I started to come up with some little things that would be useful:

-Chutes
Yes, straight automated sorting systems are out, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t have a little device that delivers items dumped into a specific container spot into another container spot - a massive storage chest in the center of your base, perhaps. You can just drive up, shove everything into the chute, park your vehicle of choice nearby, and then go inside, lock up nice and tidy, and THEN sort out your haul. It would help to organize how one goes about managing their inventory so you don’t have to physically drag 50+ pounds of crap back and forth through the door (that might not necessarily fit it all!).

It wouldn’t be anything sophisticated; basically a conveyor belt made of like sheets and plastic dividers or something powered by the base itself. There should be a delivery time but basically it could all teleport to its destination when you’re done unloading. Keep it simple.

-Basic Auto-Crafting
I just felt the devs’ brows furrow (if they read this), but hear me out: I’m thinking metal. Scrap, chunks, lumps. You dump all your crap into chute A, and then go inside and filter it yourself, shoving all your specific goods where you want and then dumping scrap metal into chute B, which then goes forward to a welding station of some kind. I realize you can build turrets and basically cars from scratch but lets say the fanciest thing the survivor can scrounge up is something that takes metal pieces and welds them into specific forms - or, cuts them up, depending on what station has been built.

It can’t make tools or anything that requires any kind of dexterity whatsoever, but it can cut up pipes and sheet metal and it can fuse pieces of scrap metal together automatically, using the ‘process will be done in x hours’ mechanic used by the charcoal kilns already in the game and deciding the time based on the process being asked of it. This is for someone that wants to make a lot of scrap and hates sitting there and doing it all one piece at a time, and someone who doesn’t enjoy having to set an entire day aside just to make a single length of chain. It’s not automated enough to take power away from the player, but it’s enough to be kind of nifty AND to save them some serious grind work that they might find frustrating.

This would work particularly well for metal, where you could induce penalties for using what is essentially the lazy alternative to doing it yourself: the process uses a considerable bit more power than if you were to weld by hand, and maybe a time multiplier of some kind to the crafting recipe. Not a big one, but enough to provide something of a downside: you don’t have to sit there and do it by hand, but it’s going to take longer and you might end up waiting for it to be complete anyways. That and if the power runs out, the whole process is botched.

Log splitting in particular would be a wonderful function for this. No more picking up every single log by hand and doing all that clicking. Just shove them all in a big bin and it’ll slowly chop itself.

Like I said: nothing too fancy, but definitely convenient. That and robotics are fun, even when it’s nowhere near as complex as a murder tank robot or a flying pair of flailing scissors.

I’m not sure if it counts, but I recall there’s a machine in the back area of hardware stores that can turn metal parts into chunks/lumps of metal.

True! But I always run characters with moderately low strength, and dragging one of those around to your base is never an option unless I set up at the store itself. It also could be quite a trek back and forth. Assuming you even find one at all.

This could be expanded upon very easily and cover any number of tasks. Would certainly make the game more interesting.

…also an auto-quern. Because fucking making flour.

Looks like someone has been playing Factorio. Fun game, by the way.

I think the devs who didn’t like the “game playing by itself” had a different kind of playing by itself in mind.
You’re talking about automatization of tedious tasks, which is good. Player tedium is never a good thing, only the lesser evil in some cases.
“Game playing by itself” can also refer to game being so easy you just input same commands over and over. Most people hate it when game devolves into mindless repetition.

Your solutions sound a fair bit too high tech, though.

Instead of chutes, I’d rather implement the ability to mark some items for hauling (possibly entire areas rather than single items) and then have the survivor (or a NPC tasked with it) haul those automatically, using the free inventory space. Later on it could be expanded to cover hauling stuff with 1 tile vehicles (wheelbarrows).

Autocrafting is also too high-tech, except for some very simple stuff like clean water, salt etc. However, it would make sense to have partial autocraft - for example cutting up meat for jerky and then having a smoking rack finish the process.
No autocrafting chains, pipes etc. though. For that, you’d need machines straight from a factory.
Once again: tasking NPCs with this would work. Both the crafting system and the NPC behavior would need quite a bit of extra coding for it to happen, but it’s probably the best balance of gameplay vs realism vs dev work required.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:4, topic:9437”]Instead of chutes, I’d rather implement the ability to mark some items for hauling (possibly entire areas rather than single items) and then have the survivor (or a NPC tasked with it) haul those automatically, using the free inventory space. Later on it could be expanded to cover hauling stuff with 1 tile vehicles (wheelbarrows).

Autocrafting is also too high-tech, except for some very simple stuff like clean water, salt etc. However, it would make sense to have partial autocraft - for example cutting up meat for jerky and then having a smoking rack finish the process.
No autocrafting chains, pipes etc. though. For that, you’d need machines straight from a factory.
Once again: tasking NPCs with this would work. Both the crafting system and the NPC behavior would need quite a bit of extra coding for it to happen, but it’s probably the best balance of gameplay vs realism vs dev work required.[/quote]

By Armok’s bloody beard…

Where did I put my pickaxe?

Working on npcs thus they can do jobs would be the best solution for crafting aid. Hell npc are the thing that will when better implemented make the cataclysm much more intersting. You can take quite a few ideas from df here. I would shamelessly steal the good and leave out the bad.

I was also thinking about having sort of a community sort of thing going on with NPC’s. I was also thinking about the different playstyles of people.

If you’re a one-man half-mutant half-cyborg with 10’s in every skill and the biggest set of guns this side of china, what use could NPC’s possibly have? Other than just extra hands for crafting stupidly long crafting recipes or simulated foraging.

By contrast, relying on NPC’s to use the skills you might not necessarily have could diversify things a lot. This leads eventually to a team of super mutant cyborgs that can all do a lot instead of one extremely powerful person. The loner might prefer to have automatic things as opposed to NPC’s, who can do everything the automated trinkets can and more but are a bit higher maintenance as far as resources go. So you could be a one-man army with some goodies that can do some small things for you, or you could be a team player and get a proper fort up and running.

Having both options available would all for players to adapt based on how they want to play and would make CDDA a lot more diverse as a whole.

Its not hard to survive. managing a comunity of people is not just for your benefit. But people do it for the sake of helping. You want to further humanity and help its survival… thats the idea about managing a camp of people…(you know the building and managment aspect ala banished if you know the game… or dwarf fortress) i can easily survive in the cataclysm without any bioniks or mutations or hightech weapons. At least as the game is now.

I’m of the opinion that if you ever get to manage an NPC community, any benefits should be offset by some kind of political system that doesn’t just accept you as the uncontested leader. If you have NPCs “playing the game for you”, then your priority should shift to managing them, identifying which followers are ambitious, dealing with them in a way that doesn’t outrage your loyal followers, etc. With greater power comes a greater chance of being stabbed in the back.

Okay that but think like this: The survivor camp will be originaly be founded by you. So at first you should be theire uncontested benelovent leader that bestowed them with a zombie free (maybe) piece of land to settle upon under your protection and care.

It would help a lot if you could have a timer in your stove meaning you don’t have to spends HOURS crafting your granola/meat jerky/pemmican.

Like, you doing other things while your stuff cooks?

Like, you doing other things while your stuff cooks?[/quote]

You don’t?

Having “minions” is pretty much the most realistic way of handling menial jobs and it also gives a job to those lazy non-player bastards who would otherwise be only milked for skills.

Having high-tech autocrafters is neither very realistic nor all that trivial to implement.
If someone created a mod with those, it would almost certainly get accepted. Maybe even mainlined after some arguments.

Actually, NPC crafting and autocrafting would require similar changes to code. So if one gets in, the other one may be wayyy easier to implement.

I personally would like some autocrafters (because I also had fun with Factorio), but the general theme of DDA was supposed to be more about scavenging than building the world from scratch. Autocrafters are obviously high-tech stuff.

Craft-helping tools, like wire winding tool would be totally OK with everything, though. If someone programs variable craft times depending on tool quality, I’m sure that would be mainlined.

If someone really wanted to, with the faction thing coming along someday, this could turn into equal parts RPG, roguelike, and RTS. Y’know, issuing instructions to followers, building a settlement, running it. Hell, I’m half ready to start building a base for other people already and I’m just sitting with my thumb up my butt in the middle of an acid rain-slogged field in the dead of winter.

I’m also kind of excited to have more mouths to feed. I want my resources to go somewhere, y’know?

Like, you doing other things while your stuff cooks?[/quote]

You don’t?[/quote]

I do, and I bemoan the fact it’s not possible in Cata yet.

“The Belt”, as you imagined it, is not a bad thing - nor is it trivial to build. At last, you’re not sorting out soft-toys into boxes; you’re hauling hard-core loot, pretty heavy for your own back & shoulders. No wonder you’ve grown weary. At last, you haven’t considered the rubber / plastic, the bearings getting worn-out - and you left energy-consumption to your own discretion.

The common wheelbarrow ain’t that bad of a tip, though I have a somewhat more “techy” approach to this.
Craft a haul-bot, a 2x2 platform for loadingcargo (each tile representing max-load per bot) and an unloading bay (similar to the basement coal-door). Upgrade the bots eventually to sort the cargo according to type (on the receiviing end).

I like the haul-bot idea.

Personally, I’d make the chute (pipes, sheet metal, weld it together), and the loading platform first (some sheet metal) before thinking of more things.

I could make the JSON but I can’t into C :frowning: