Balance: pneumatic weapons

The quick fix is outlined here.
tl:dr: Increase reload time (per round) to one minute on the pneumatic bolt driver, possibly require a seperate pump item. I didn’t math at the pneumatic assault rifle, do something similar to it.
More involved fixes would be to limit damage output of these multi-shot weapons and reserve near-firearm performance for a single-shot pneumatic gun that takes upwards of 2 minutes to reload.

Partial fix

1 Like

Good first step. Makes sense too.

What noise level are these currently making? I see above that they’re silent, and given that my pellet gun makes a significant “pop”, I’d assume another balance issue could be giving them more noise than a bow and less than a chemical rifle

I used to spearfish before. A spear gun is essentially a pneumatic rifle, and I can say you have to pump it only once. You don’t pump it again when you reload the spear before the next shot.
The pressurized air is not shot out or expelled, it just stays inside the gun and pushes the piston. The only case you’ll need to pump it again (not counting possible rare leaks) is the rifle wasn’t used for a few months.

The problem here at the moment is that we don’t have a dual ammo system for both counting air AND the ammo
So this is the only fair compromise for NOW

But there’s no need to count air as ammo. Air is not wasted at shot at all, it could only leak out very slowly due to the worn out sealing or construction flaws.
I think there could be a status flag “pressurized” for a freshly-pumped pneumatic gun, turning into “slightly pressurized” after the long time and dozens and dozens of shots, requiring to be pumped again.

Well, dual ammo in the sense of pressure, the second ammo: Air counts as pressure, more = more damage/range?

But the second ammo would not waste at all or waste VERY slowly. Yes, it would inflict damage/range in this case.