Armor Up! A mod to make armor more better. New PA Utilities pack!

FINALLY actually put something together after (apparently) over a month.

Basically, I just put together the extra survivor armor stuff, an armored backpack, and the superalloy plate armor. Changes no existing items, so perfectly compatible with existing saves.

RM13 and Power Armor are untouched as of yet, and will probably remain that way until I find a way to put climate control on a normal item or make a use function that lets you pick which item to transform the activated item into. Or I might just do the best I can and let people try it.

Hope everyone enjoys.

First of all, your mouth encumberance has been maxed out, which means you will suffer stamina loss constantly from being unable to breath (you’ll not suffocate to death, don’t worry about it.)
Just wear light power armor, I’m sure every character can wear these with ease.

We should have more light/heavy leather betwixt kevlar garments with varying low encumbrance. Adding in the Liquid Armor Treatment for no encumbrance and slight armor gain. With optional rubber/plastic infusion methods for acid and rain. Making base garments is great and all. But I have a beef with the lack of upgrade options beyond sewing thick layers and adding huge encumbrance and leaving it at that =/

Please make your power armor concept (plan on mod) bc I love your idea… If the admin (the higher up - sorry if that what I thought) oppose your idea/concept… Make seperate mod… Everyone will be happy

Sorry if my language is messed up… English isn’t my primary language

Love from indonesia.

I actually PRed the climate control change so there’s a good chance I’ll eventually pick this back up and make it a thing, but we’ll have to see how long that takes.

There’s already plenty of useless light armors in the game, we don’t need more. LAT would be interesting, but I’m not sure a homemade version would work that well. Also, can’t be done through a mod. Requires hardcode.

Also can’t be done as a mod, and might break balance a bit. Talk to Kevin.

Well I think LAT should be uncommon in Military bunkers(because, ya know…storage I guess?) and Labs. You can get a hold of the stuff from several companies last I recall. But my memory is fuzzy and I don’t care where irl anyway. It makes sense to me for the game. It would provide only a couple points unless anyone thinks it deserves more credit. But I like my light gear. Crap or no! So it would be great to have =D

I hope you find the time to comeback to work on this mod. It sounds amazing. Especially your ideas for the different power armor enhancements.

I’d like to, but I currently have a lot of other stuff to work on. That said, I’ll probably just show up and smash it all out some random day.

I’ve been trying to do similar mod. But I’m unsure where to start. Especially with having power armor change stats based on whether or not it is activated. Or having other actions occur (such as an active defense shield) when the armor is turned on is really throwing me for a loop. I don’t want to incovience you, but any advice on where to start would great!

Armor changing stats when activated can be handled with the transform use_action (see data/json/items/tool_armor.json). The transformed item’s stats do not have to be the same as the untransformed item.

Thank you for replying so frequently and your willingness to help! I gotta say your contributions to the project are fantastic.

I have (a lot of) questions about the armor mod. Should I duplicate the code of, let’s say the active defense shield bionic, in the armor_tools file (and is as simple as copy and paste with minor tweaks)? Then call it as a use action in the power armor definition in the armors file? Also one thing i’m really not sure of is how to affect the players base stats by simply powering on the armor. The only way I can think of at the moment is by compiling changes in the character.cpp file. Thank you for the help!

1 Like

You can’t put C++ code from a .cpp file in a .json file. That will not work at all.

bio_ads is interesting, because the support code for it is actually in player::absorb_hit():

// The bio_ads CBM absorbs damage before hitting armor
        if( has_active_bionic( bio_ads ) ) {
            if( elem.amount > 0 && power_level > 24 ) {
                if( elem.type == DT_BASH ) {
                    elem.amount -= rng( 1, 8 );
                } else if( elem.type == DT_CUT ) {
                    elem.amount -= rng( 1, 4 );
                } else if( elem.type == DT_STAB ) {
                    elem.amount -= rng( 1, 2 );
                }
                charge_power(-25);
            }
            if( elem.amount < 0 ) {
                elem.amount = 0;
            }
        }

you would want similar code in the same place, but with a different check in the if statement, and draining UPS power instead of bionic charge.

You’d have to do a similar analysis for each behavior you wanted implemented: “how does the game do something similar? can I reuse that code as is? could I refactor that code so my thing could also use it? Should I just copy and change that code?”

For stat boosters, you’ll want to go to Character::reset_stats() and… wow, that code is not great. I would feel bad for recommending you copy that code.
Okay, for stat boosters, you’ll want to go to Character::reset_stats(), rewrite it to loop through all of the character’s traits, bionics, and items, and add or subtract the appropriate bonus or penalty from the thing in question. Then you’ll need to edit all of those things Json load functions, to parse and store a Json array that looks like “bonuses”: [ [ “stat_or_skill1”, NUM1 ], [ “stat_or_skill2”, NUM2 ] ] . And then you’ll need to through the existing traits and bionics .json files and add the bonus descriptors. And then after that, adding equipment bonuses will be easy, plus modding in new bonus mutations and bionics will be easier.

Screw that noise. Just use the artifact stat boost effects. It even totals them, so you can add and subtract enough to get pretty much any number and it will just show up as one effect.

I always forget about the artifacts code. Yeah, use artifacts.

Also, rewrite Character::reset_stats() at some point.

Ok so right now I’m trying to make a variant of power armor that is in the tool_armor file. Im attempting to have the armor transform into identical armor but in its “on” state and have that powered on version basically pull attributes from the enums.h file. But I can’t get the armor to drain power from the players internal power source. Any ideas?

Also if this doesn’t work, I’ll definitely look into just rewriting the Character::reset_stats() to be more easily modified and try that route.

you may be running into an issue that “power_armor”: true defines an activation action and your activation item defines an activation item. So you can transform in another suit of PA, but then it won’t be activated. And it’ll transform back into the base state if you try.

You may want to look at the code that implements “power_armor”: true, and see if you can get it to chain activation sequences.

This is a little off topic, but is there an easy way to make it so you could load a robot from jury rigged robots or a hacked robot into a vehicle like pet animal?

Animal capture code doesn’t check if a creature is an animal, so you should be able to load robots into livestock stalls and onboard kennels.

1 Like

New content! Power Armor Utilities includes craftable sheaths and stuff for power armor. Get it while it’s hot!

This pack was made because of prompting by Exceptional on Discord, who suggested maintaining Mokou-tan’s Power Armor Additions. I haven’t copied any of his/her code or anything, but it did serve as minor inspiration and an example.