Any tips on avoiding hordes in a vehicle?

So, I’ve been loving hordes, the extra pressure is great, but I can’t seem to EVER find a secluded spot to get a full night’s sleep or even to have enough time to repair my vehicle without being interrupted constantly. They follow me everywhere I go, and if I give one the slip I just end up in the middle of another. I feel like I travel miles and miles and then within a few hours BAM they’re right on top of me. Would switching entirely to electric reduce my noise enough to get some piece and quiet? Are they following my scent forever? How can I avoid the constant harassment?

I would love to be able to just slaughter them all in order to clear the area and get some peace and quiet, but they just trickle in FOREVER. I kill and butcher wave after wave, then suddenly they stop showing up. But on my map the horde is STILL on top of me. I repair my vehicle and suddenly a few spawn, kill, repair, interrupted by a few more. I’ve never been able to kill enough to end it, so I just take off, travel to an area far enough that I can’t see any Zs on my map, repair, and suddenly here’s ANOTHER horde to ruin my day. Uhg.

Not Useful Comment:

This reminds me of a little flash game were you had to repair your car to escape from zombie hordes. The zombies came and tried to destroy your car while you fixed it, and you had to fix it from horde-to-horde.

[quote=“acehawk, post:1, topic:6177”]So, I’ve been loving hordes, the extra pressure is great, but I can’t seem to EVER find a secluded spot to get a full night’s sleep or even to have enough time to repair my vehicle without being interrupted constantly. They follow me everywhere I go, and if I give one the slip I just end up in the middle of another. I feel like I travel miles and miles and then within a few hours BAM they’re right on top of me. Would switching entirely to electric reduce my noise enough to get some piece and quiet? Are they following my scent forever? How can I avoid the constant harassment?

I would love to be able to just slaughter them all in order to clear the area and get some peace and quiet, but they just trickle in FOREVER. I kill and butcher wave after wave, then suddenly they stop showing up. But on my map the horde is STILL on top of me. I repair my vehicle and suddenly a few spawn, kill, repair, interrupted by a few more. I’ve never been able to kill enough to end it, so I just take off, travel to an area far enough that I can’t see any Zs on my map, repair, and suddenly here’s ANOTHER horde to ruin my day. Uhg.[/quote]

A bit of debug menu (horde info, etc) would probably help you get a handle on horde-hearing, so feel free.

Long story short, hordes can hear much farther than their actual presence, and will lock onto and follow the sound. Your gas engine is probably audible at least 5-8 tiles away from the horde–and if any member of the horde can hear it, they all target that spot.

So probably the best solution is to create a loud noise somewhere else–the radios and noise-emitters do nicely–and then drive slowly away for a few overmap tiles. The louder your engine, the farther the sound travels. Once you can’t see them on the map, it’s probably safe to hit the throttle and get out of there.

So your speed does affect the resulting noise? I didn’t realize how far they could hear… Thanks a bunch for the tips! I’m going to give noise making devices a shot.

np. Bear in mind that the horde moves to check out the noise, so if you can arrange to pull 'em away from your intended direction of travel (sewer/subway may help get you “through” the horde) that might speed things.

I just moved up to the area I wanted to stay in (Next to a Bunker I wanted to try raiding) with a horde hot on my tail. They were a few tiles back, so I hopped out and grabbed an air horn, ran through them and used the horn to lure them down a nearby road, then ran through a forest to lose em. took me a few hours in game, but I got a full night’s sleep! Thanks a ton for the info

…Just asking, if I throw an activated radio inside a moving vehicle with cruise control on and some fuel left…

Another question, does anyone have an idea how far away a horde can hear an average car that is idling? Wondering if I can leave mine on to build battery without causing too much trouble

Well so far I’ve had great success leaving it on all day and night for several days, a horde came kinda close once or twice but didn’t seem to actually notice the sound, though one time I did turn it off for a couple hours when I noticed them closer than normal.

[quote=“Derpislav, post:7, topic:6177”]…Just asking, if I throw an activated radio inside a moving vehicle with cruise control on and some fuel left…[/quote]The noise would probably stop once the car was outside your reality bubble.

As for escaping hordes in a car, hordes can hear your car hitting shrubs/brush/trees from an impressive distance, so while making your escape try to avoid running over greenery until you reach a road.

hordes are realy big but sometimes are realy small i managed to destroy whole horde (something about 52 zombies) but i used my whole ammo supply alslo hordes commonly have zombie necromancer