Ally Rushing into fight when combat engagement rules tell them not to

On my most recent playthrough, after the third time of saving one of my foolish companions that went too far ahead I finally died. (I had never though about the danger of a grabbing zombie pulling me into flames)

I have two companions with me with the same misc and combat settings. One of them that always stayed within two spaces of me and the other one that would occasionally run far away towards enemies and get trapped and almost die. Is this a bug or feature?

Both companions had the same rules set. They were told not to pulp zombie corpses. They were not allowed to pick items up, they were told to stay within 2 spaces of me. They were even told not to move freely, to stick close to me at all times.

So why did one of them follow the rules and the other one ran off multiple times? Am I doing something wrong? Is this a feature of some companions panicking and not following the rules youve given them. because its annoying but realistic that some people are actually unreliable when push comes to shove.

On the final attempt which lead to my death I even had the disobedient companion set to not attack anyone unless they were in range of their current position. That worked for some time but eventually, they decided it would be better to run towards 40 zombies and run laps around them until they got pinned against a car.

TLDR: I have two companions with me with the same misc and combat settings. One of them that always stayed within two spaces of me and the other one that would occasionally run far away towards enemies and get trapped and almost die. Is this a bug or feature?

It’s a bug. NPCs have a tiny pea brains and are super annoying to debug. KorGgenT are working to overhaul their AI to make it easier to debug, but it’s being held up on the 0.F release.

3 Likes

Maybe NPCs have a “self” brain :grin:

Don’t insult peas like that!

But that explains why an NPC once asked to drop my weapon and - after I complied - proceeded to repeatedly take a “none” from my character…