Allow Us to Play as The Zombies, Add Illness, Metagame features

[size=14pt]EDITED POSTED TO FACTOR IN LORE[/size]

Now hear me out before you brush me off completely, I really think making the various playmodes more varied can really make this game something else.

Feature Idea: Infection and Zombie gameplay

Instead of just dying, we should be able to play as a zombies or have a CHANCE to depending on our death. I think this would require a redoing of the spawn system to make it more interesting, obviously we would need more survivors and perhaps ways to track them. I realize you may think it doesn’t make sense playing the undead but maybe certain zombies can only see by hearing or sound and just get outlines of buildings or what have you. Like the overlay when youre in a dark room but a different color.

Maybe some kinda infrared vision for certain types.

Evolving as a zombie should be random! And depending on the length of your infection maybe mutation happens in the later stages!

Dangers for Zombie Players:

Well, obviously the game modes should now change it up! I’d like to see

• Large increase in survivor population, but still spaced out, and id maybe like gangs vs normal civilians vs ex military or even different kind of survivor camps based on previous affiliation.

-Small roaming bands of survivors or even fortifications that zombies just want to get into

-Science enclaves, those bad ass underground facilities with teams still experimenting and still doing their weird science stuff. Maybe scientists can capture living players and experiment on them with stuff or capture zombies as research subjects lol

-Ex Military/Police force with robotic soldiers, trying to take over sectors or something, or get recruits to use as slave soldiers. Like brotherhood of steel kind of. Maybe the robots capture the player when he is alive and try to use his brain in a cyborg and enslave him. Making him unable to attack them and stuff.

Add More Illnesses:

I’d like to see more illnesses like pneumonia and flu viruses, or even mutated strains from the 4th dimensional entities playing a larger role.

Defense like gas masks and biosuits or coats and gloves should play a bigger role in player survival.

Imagine being infected by a 4th dimensional illness?

I’d really like to see infection and sickness playing a bigger role, and options to treat wounds. Like having to severe your arm or leg if you got bit, or chances for being immune, or being infected and turning and having to go through stages of illness that bring on symptoms like Fever, dizziness, blindness? I dunno.

I’d also like to see NPC allies playing a bigger role in helping you survive like treating your wounds, and also bigger relationships with people around you… big survivor groups should be able to settle in an area and use supplies at designated zones, etc. Like DF, well its a pipe dream but this would be awesome…

Add Metagame features:

I’d like to see the story of the world you generate become a long lasting thing, I’d also like to see stuff like the research teams from the old world playing a bigger role in progressing this story and also some other factions of people. I imagine it as a Umbrella Corporation VS everyone else VS individual factions. So the story will progress while youre in it, even as a zombie. And maybe I’d like to see enslavement of people by people. Like research organizations taking people or experimenting on them etc. Forcefully hiring people, I’m sure they got armies of robots and what have you. Or maybe you sign on and work for them in experimentation.

From the lore I read they seem to be doing their thing deep underground in labs while the world goes to shit. The mega rich should also be mega rich, doing their own stuff, enslaving people maybe with robots. I’d love to see more story features and more involvement with the NPCs.

Oh well please consider these ideas however outlandish they may seem.

Just to say the zombies in our game arent an infection :wink:

The official canon is here.

The zombies are a result of extradimensional goo and stuff.

Except Votan is saying that we’d become zombies when we die, which is correct.

The last part, about infection, is about actual infections; gangrenous, etc. Not zombie infections.

None of this is off canon.

Edit: Nevermind. Yeah, read up on the

lore

[quote=“kilozombie, post:4, topic:4307”]Except Votan is saying that we’d become zombies when we die, which is correct.

The last part, about infection, is about actual infections; gangrenous, etc. Not zombie infections.

None of this is off canon.[/quote]
Ah, sorry, I was just putting that there for reference, didn’t mean to imply that this was off canon.

I think it would be very interesting playing as a zombie when more endgame types are added, so you can actually compete with well outfitted survivors.

Though, it also seems Votan isn’t completely familiar with the lore (scientists were never looking for a cure and all/most died out quickly, infection doesn’t convert you to a zombie, etc)

I shall update my original post to be more lore friendly, sorry about this.

The main threat of zombies seems to be numbers, rather than lone strength. So I could see zombie mode working if you got to play as a master zombie or zombie necromancer and command other zombies around. However, that’d require a more robust AI npc system than the game currently has. If better NPCs are added, I’m fairly sure the metagame stuff you suggest will be at least considered, and it opens up the possibility of a zombie mode, but all that is contingent on getting NPCs to work. It wouldn’t be a very realistic zombie mode if the survivor enemies just ran at you in hordes like zombies currently do, after all.

As for sicknesses I’d prefer not to add in any more. As it stands getting a cold and throwing up and collapsing for days on end is the most boring part of the game. And with fungal disease beefed up I’m not sure the game needs any super diseases.

[quote=“Inadequate, post:8, topic:4307”]The main threat of zombies seems to be numbers, rather than lone strength. So I could see zombie mode working if you got to play as a master zombie or zombie necromancer and command other zombies around. However, that’d require a more robust AI npc system than the game currently has. If better NPCs are added, I’m fairly sure the metagame stuff you suggest will be at least considered, and it opens up the possibility of a zombie mode, but all that is contingent on getting NPCs to work. It wouldn’t be a very realistic zombie mode if the survivor enemies just ran at you in hordes like zombies currently do, after all.

As for sicknesses I’d prefer not to add in any more. As it stands getting a cold and throwing up and collapsing for days on end is the most boring part of the game. And with fungal disease beefed up I’m not sure the game needs any super diseases.[/quote]

Hmm I should clarify about sickness being added dependent on whether or not NPCs get improved. I mean it’d be more important finding friends and protecting yourself in certain areas. And also from the elements to prevent spread of disease. It’d also make medication more important and NPC allies important for helping you when youre sick and dragging you to safety or protecting you.

I don’t know, diseases are already boring enough when you just sit around sleeping and throwing up. I don’t think they would be very much improved by pressing the ‘next turn’ button over and over while an NPC drags you around and spoon-feeds you.

I think that a legitimate mutation route should be a ‘zombie/undead’ path, with the abilities such as resurrection after grievous injury (perhaps with likelihood of losing various stats, intellect particularly) blending with other zombies, resistance to suffocation or bleeding and of course, the necromancy.

Check the lab notes again. They were indeed looking for a cure, and even found one. The process needed to completely remove the Blob from a body was worse than the Blob, though.

Proper funerary precautions would have prevented the Cataclysm.

Well, the parts of it caused by the zambies anyway. Not so much the interdimensional monstrosities, acid rain, fungus, triffids, etc. and so on. :stuck_out_tongue: