Aliens

Permission to sig?[/quote]

Yeah, sure, it’s an old party joke. All dong jokes work well after fifteen shots, when you begin to notice interstellar aliens on the way to the bathroom.

Nevertheless, my best thought on the subject’s topic was that some sentient beings were drawn when they had sensed a massive increase in radiation levels. There was no way in the world they would have known what was going on out here; furthermore, they wouldn’t risk amassing a force to unleash it here without deploying scouts first. At the best scenario, the resident intelligence (us) would have repelled the invader to a level where the portals are closed, or even destroyed. Their horror would be that if they even manage to prevail, the Earth’s self-sustaining ecosystem turns on them (something like Kevin G. wrote) so the vegetation and large carnivorous carbon-based organisms take over once again.
So, even though I am a great fan of alien mystery, that T-Rex card beats the other Mecha-Alien card on the pile, truth be told.

late_edit>>
The coolest, most unbelievable and possibly-impossible thing to do with the dimension-portal dogma of the CataDDA would be that if humans here had opened the doors to THAT realm, the mutants from the universe of Fallout, who eventually won the war for the arid, nuclear Wasteland f***ed themselves up by opening a door to THIS realm, the Cataclysm Earth.

I would like Xenomorph type aliens, but SOMEONE hates James Cameron. I’m not suggesting the blue cat people, here. I’m suggesting awesome Action Movie type stuff.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:20, topic:2755”]Someone had a good point about the aliens investigating the situation with a view to clean up the planet, once the goo gets critical mass it might use the planet as a beachead to spread.

“Damnit humans, this is why we can’t have nice things.”[/quote]

Like, the covenant glassing over planets to stop the flood?

If they did that I guess yea. The last Halo I played was 2, what are they on now, 17 or something? :wink:

If they did that I guess yea. The last Halo I played was 2, what are they on now, 17 or something? ;)[/quote]

Thought that was the Protoss’ solution to Zerg infestations. No matter, most of these start running together after a while. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The main thing about aliens is, I’d want them to be alien. And the aliens described here are basically just space humans, and are significantly less alien than the stuff we’ve already got in the game.

Chestburster and facehugger aliens are pretty alien, in a freudian nightmare sort of way.

You’ve already got the code for it with dermatids. Just need to lethal it up a bit more.

I like to think of the aliens in this game as I do the aliens in X-Com: Apocalypse.

In that game, alien blobs from another dimension invade the dimension Earth is in because their universe is dying. The only way they can survive indefinitely in Earth’s dimension is by taking new hosts whose bodies are able to exist within it. As humans are all that’s left because TFTD’s conclusion basically killed off almost all life on Earth, the alien blobs basically try to take over by depositing themselves into humans and taking control of them.

The difference here as I see it is that the humans in this reality created the portals into their reality, possibly causing the eventual annihilation of their universe, so they either: a. See it as being only fair that we give them our world to make up for it, or; b. are simply non-sentinents that just exist, consume, and reproduce, and opening the portal allowed them in to do their business as usual. Sentinent or not, they’re aliens, and they don’t particularly need spaceships or the like when humans are more than happy to open doors for them to come straight to their doorsteps. Just another case of, “and man grew proud,” paving the way for human extinction.

Only to human worlds, but they did it right down to the bedrock. You never saw them nuke Aiur.
Also kerrigan is hawt.

How about a monsters from Doom? They are aliens too.

Hmm…must be a version of Doom I’ve never heard of.

Well they from hell if i remember correctly, so they were aliens as they were not from earth.

why were terminators shot down by the way?

Again, what kind of aliens would be drawn to an undead-Earth? What asks for a stench of decay of concrete jungles and ant colonies? Does it call for Triffid vines-riddled scenery, endless fields of fungus, and terrible, unforgiving traps made by giant bees and humongous arachnids of prey?
What guilt can a creature from another galaxy have with this?

Again, heavily mutated homo_sapiens. Built to endure, adapted to energy/food sources, experienced and hardened through the nether portals. Maybe they can be a stepping bar on the ladder to encountering the actual aliens beneath the current technology? Or they are just the ones with a different valueset, commited to building everything from scratch, as opposed to human struggle to stand-up the pillars of their civilization now soaked in rotting gut?

Doom monsters fit pretty well since they’re from (sort of) Nether

But I think about something different. Maybe some race(reticulans, if you want some fun with biomass. Go check the UFO series, especially Aftermath) from not-so-far space noticed weird shit happened on the Earth and decided to sent some vessels to check what happened.

I generally think of the nether creatures as being very similar to Doom monsters, but I didn’t add any of them, so I’m just as much a bystander as everyone else on this one :smiley:

For not making any sense, thematically, for being unjustifiable, behaviorally, and for being boring and cliche on top of it.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a cyberdemon, or cybernetic nether creatures in general. You could butcher the bodies, and get weird, alien CBMs from them. I’d bet screaming hand guy would find them fascinating.

…obviously though, you couldnt actually you the nether-CBMs, at least not without modifying them heavily, which would take alot of knowledge, and possibly other CBMs to take parts from. They are built for a creature with a completely different physiology after all

As I conceived it, the nether-bionics would have quite a high installation difficulty relative to their utility, as I assumed XE037 would bridge some of the gaps. However, as I think about it, the idea of crafting them into a usable state with CBM focused components and making the installation requirements less stringent seems more appropriate. After all, the better the chance of them actually being used, the better the chance of them showing up in some crazy death story, right?