Adding items and professions

I’m going to try my hand at adding some new items and professions into the game. All I have to do to accomplish this is edit the existing .json files correct?

If I wanted to make it available to others how do I go about making it a mod?

[quote=“RipRoarinBoogerPenis, post:1, topic:8557”]I’m going to try my hand at adding some new items and professions into the game. All I have to do to accomplish this is edit the existing .json files correct?

If I wanted to make it available to others how do I go about making it a mod?[/quote]

Provided you don’t want new traits or bionics, yeah. Items would need their own code in the relevant item file, ideally a recipe (disassembly and/or crafting, depends on the item) but that’s not strictly mandatory, and if you want them to spawn, included in an item_group or two. Professions are just professions.cpp, last I checked.

Thank you.

I wanted to add in a chef knife as well. Good cutting damage no blunt. What does the sharpness quality do? I’ve got no idea what those numbers mean. I assume higher is better. Am I correct in thinking this?

I’m not familiar with a “sharpness” value for items. Butchering quality affects the time it takes to butcher and can affect the output if it’s particularly bad or good; bash/cut are the melee damage values, and the CHOP/STAB/SLICE tags affect how likely the weapon is to get stuck in the target. A typical large kitchen knife (possibly already represented by the butcher knife?) would probably be CHOP, unfortunately.