0.C - 9183-g834eb8d : NPC's cannot climb

I’m using 3-D vision. I had previously blown some craters in the ground doing some testing, and the sound attracted a small horde. Several zombies fell into the crater and I was able to shoot a couple of them from the surface, which is aweseome.

However, my sidekick Tad got impatient and decided to jump in to finish them off. Now he’s just walking back and forth down there. I climbed down and then back out using ‘>’ and ‘<’ but he doesn’t seem to be able to. Will I need to abandon poor Tad?

Rope + grapple hook? Never tried the hole trick to be honest for fear of your situation.

I didnt know they could climb

I never tried it. Whenever I find a stairwell that says “severe drop” I just assumed the grapple hook thing would get me back up.

If anyone can give details regarding this. I’d like that info please. I don’t want to risk my main character getting stuck =/

If you stand in a place with 3 walls and no ceiling or near a piece of furniture or a car, you can climb using ‘<’. Getting down is less implemented, you just jump off. The NPC apparently can’t use the ‘<’ functionality to path out of holes in the ground.

This may be harder to fix than it looks… That’s because while the idea of the fix is very easy, the fix will have to be light on performance.

For now you can debug-teleport the NPC out.
Open debug menu, select ‘d’, pick then NPC, select teleport, pick new location and the NPC should teleport there.

Thanks coolthulhu, I didn’t realize there was an option to teleport NPC’s in there. It’s not a very common occurrence to have a crater for the npc to end up in, at least not in my worlds. He ended up dying, of radiation poisoning I assume, because I got sick after climbing down in the crater to see if he had a path out.

Perhaps the bandaid is also the remedy? If a character has a grapple hook + rope and they hook it onto something outside of the hole or whatever they are stuck with. Perhaps the function is just to teleport them up or down like stairs?

Just treat the hook and rope with an “If, placed at tile X = stairs up/down”.

Wouldn’t that work, or are stairs coded so that this won’t work?

The problem is that the player would have to carry a rope everywhere to rescue dumb NPCs.
It would be easier to allow giving NPC a lift in examine menu.

[quote=“Malkeus, post:1, topic:11225”]I’m using 3-D vision. I had previously blown some craters in the ground doing some testing, and the sound attracted a small horde. Several zombies fell into the crater and I was able to shoot a couple of them from the surface, which is aweseome.

However, my sidekick Tad got impatient and decided to jump in to finish them off. Now he’s just walking back and forth down there. I climbed down and then back out using ‘>’ and ‘<’ but he doesn’t seem to be able to. Will I need to abandon poor Tad?

[/quote]

you can blow holes in the terrain in the most recent version? well, thats awesome. any issues or major bugs with it?

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:9, topic:11225”]The problem is that the player would have to carry a rope everywhere to rescue dumb NPCs.
It would be easier to allow giving NPC a lift in examine menu.[/quote]

Actually a player can do both/neither/either. Giving a lift isn’t a bad idea either. But the point is that if you go spelunking…go equipped :wink:

PS- has vehicle noise on the yellow sound meter come back yet? I really wanna test new buildings, this prevents me =(

o.O

I was on a stupid timer(literally) with 47 seconds to spew out the question before the public pc I was on bumped me out =/

I was just interested in knowing(pm maybe?) if the yellow in game sound meter is working again in regard to vehicles. In the latest experimental builds.

As in, for awhile, the noise vehicles made would not register on the yellow meter.

The noise not being made/detected annoys me so much, that I have not bothered to test any new builds. Mostly due to the 45 minute drive to a machine I can use to download and take away data =/

Ah, I have experienced the obnoxious library timer, it’s terrible. The engine sounds show up on the meter now, I never saw a PR for it, but my muffled diesel engine makes 12 sound and the diesel and gas engines together make 17 sound. I don’t think that hitting stuff shows up on the meter though, if that matters. Still no cure for NPC’s in-a-hole syndrome…