The Wiki Thread

This is a thread for all things wiki-related:

http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com

If anyone wants anything done, or wants to ask questions, just stick them in here.

If you want something put into this post, just PM me and I’ll try and do it without too much delay.

For now, I’m working on the guides section:

http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Category:Guides

We need guides for:

• Night raids
  • Surviving Day 1 in static spawn
  • Living on the move
  • Base building
  • Living in a vehicle

And any other specific playstyles, or difficult tasks you can think of.

I’d also like for someone to expand the Forest Living Guide (which is pretty thin, at the moment), since I never play like that, so I don’t have that many tips.

Try and keep the guides nicely formatted, if you can. Look at the existing ones for guidance if you need it. Above all, try and make them helpful to new players, and don’t assume too much knowledge of the game!

Just the thread I was thinking of!

I’ve got a fair amount of notes taken on various structures (wrote a few paragraphs on the local Strange Temple about half an hour ago), along with impressions of various mutations, player’s eye view of alcohol comedown, etc.

Problems:

1. I have no qualms about spoilers, etc.
  2. It’s written for 02Feb Bugfix, which is really really old.

Should I wikify these notes? Already got an account and can probably get them up throughout the week. (Just got a copy of MGS3 though, so not inclined to do anything tonight.)

Nice. The wiki certainly needs more active contributors.

Apart from the guides, already existing sections such as Weather, Noise or new ones about “hidden” stats such as thirst, hunger, stamina, etc are sorely needed. Not to mention either a new page or a whole section devoted to the current temperature/warmth system and its effects (frostbite, etc), which gets asked over and over again. Ideally, that would be done with someone really familiar with the code, so the information presented there isn’t purely based on anecdotal evidence.

[quote=“KA101, post:2, topic:823”]Just the thread I was thinking of!

I’ve got a fair amount of notes taken on various structures (wrote a few paragraphs on the local Strange Temple about half an hour ago), along with impressions of various mutations, player’s eye view of alcohol comedown, etc.

Problems:

1. I have no qualms about spoilers, etc.
  2. It’s written for 02Feb Bugfix, which is really really old.

Should I wikify these notes? Already got an account and can probably get them up throughout the week. (Just got a copy of MGS3 though, so not inclined to do anything tonight.)[/quote]

Definitely!

Feel free to post them in this thread, and I’ll put them up, otherwise. Obviously they might need some editing and tweaking, but just having someone think through “Hey, what information would be useful to a player wanting to do X” is most of the work done.

After day one survival everything needs to be put into a spoiler. Or just be stated as one.
Considering most people don’t survive that long.
Also include colds, flues, other things that will kill you such as fungal infection.

[quote=“Jihelu, post:5, topic:823”]After day one survival everything needs to be put into a spoiler. Or just be stated as one.
Considering most people don’t survive that long.
Also include colds, flues, other things that will kill you such as fungal infection.[/quote]
Agreed. Placing a spoiler warning at the top of more advanced guides should be enough, though.
Check this template for more info. You can see it in action in the artifacts page, among others.

Hmm. Should we extend that to all the guides, or just those for endgame stuff like temples?

I think there’s guides which tell you about hidden stuff in mines, temples, labs, etc. which deserve a spoiler tag, but the “how to” guides like “how to pull of a night raid” or “how to make a supercar” don’t really warrant it, imo.

I only mention it because if you spoiler everything then the wiki either becomes useless, or spoilers lose their meaning :stuck_out_tongue:

I say use it at your discretion. Wherever there’s something that a new player shouldn’t know until he/she finds it/uses it/explores it, then spoiler it away. That should only affect places that require some kind of tool, item or hacking knowledge to enter (bunkers, science labs, temples, mines, sewer plants, etc). The rest can be safely left as is.

And we’re talking about a pink box on the top of the page. They are non intrusive in any case. If you think only certain parts of the page should be hidden as spoilers you can always use the spoiler tag instead.

I’ve created a new subcategory for Guides, named Advanced guides.

That should help separate the more advanced and spoilerific ones, so users that go there know what to expect (still, I think the spoilers tag should be applied where needed, such as how KA101 has done it in his new temple guide).

BTW, for whoever is hesitating about contributing because he/she isn’t familiar with how the wiki works. Just go ahead and contribute. Once published others (including myself) will correct, fix and apply links and formatting as seen fit. So, don’t make that one of your worries.

Uh, I think the grace period ran out. There’ve been a lot of malicious edits recently–I just reverted someone who deleted the entire clothing page and replaced it with a single sentence.

(If that doesn’t qualify as bloody-incompetent at best, I don’t know what would.)

Any thoughts on how to deal with dynamically-spawning wiki-vandals?

Yes, yesterday was spam day. Hopefully all the malicious edits have been reverted already (I think I reverted all of them, anyway). GlyphGryph has added extra security measures that should prevent all this from happening again (hopefully) without being too intrusive.

Btw. Sorry I haven’t been updating the guides recently. I’ve had a series of exams (they will be ending, for a while, on Thursday) so I’ll start doing some more stuff after that.

I like writing guides. Shame nobody reads them :stuck_out_tongue:

You’ll all notice that ALL edits require a CAPTCHA pass now… unless you’ve logged into an account. So I’d suggest people log into their account if they want to avoid the hassle of matching cats.

Hey I just want to start off by saying thanks for making these guides because they really helped me start when I had no idea what to do. Anyway I suggest under the making a weapon section of the “How to survive your first day: Static Spawn Mode” you should add longbow to that list since it is one of the best weapons for new players to take out a horde. It is silent and with enough practice (level 3 or 4 archery) you can easily kill most zombies without getting hit. The arrows are extremely easy to make and the only drawback is they wont kill armored units like skeletons or wolf spiders.
Also in the section on the wiki called “crafting” under weapons the coil gun isnt there, and since Im not an expert at editing wikis I was hoping you could add it. The layout is as follows:

Item Primary skill secondary skill Difficulty Time
coilgun Electronics N/A 3 250

Tools
*screwdriver OR integrated toolset
*soldering iron (10 charges) OR intefrated toolset (10 charges)

components

• 1x pipe * 1x power converter * 1x amplifier circuit * 6x scrap metal * 20x copper wire

Heya!

Sorry, I didn’t see your post. I haven’t been on in a while!

You’re right that we need a section on making a longbow, since that’s such a popular strategy, although I’ll think about including it in a different section, since you can’t make it straight after leaving the shelter. Still, definitely an oversight on my part, so thanks!

As for the coilgun, it seems to come under electronics. I can’t remember if that’s how it is in-game, though, so I’ll leave it for someone who remembers :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi all. I just got into this game recently. I wanted to let you know about (and ask for feedback on) a possible reorganization of the way items are handled on the wiki.

Like the C:DDA wiki, the wiki for Nethack, another roguelike game I like, uses index pages that have large lists that overview a lot of items (see the weapons page), but each item also has its own page for more detailed information (like the quarterstaff page). I think this is a very useful format that lets you include a lot more handy information on particular items.

I cooked up a bot that can make the first part of this conversion easy, and I demoed what this might look like on the melee weapons page and the rock page.

I’ve been discussing this on the main page talk, you can join us there or here.

Looks good to me.

Good then. And welcome to the forum, BMacZero :slight_smile:

I’m adding a bit to the guides, hope it’s good stuff!

Anyone want more in the Advanced Guides? I’ve some notes on Triffid HQs and combat-mutations.