Skill Rust - Which Option Do You Play With?

I’ve been wanting to start a new character since I haven’t played in almost 9 months or so, but I’ve noticed that most people I know who’ve been playing are doing so with skill rust off.

Now, most of them explain that at higher levels it simply becomes almost impossible to maintain your training and that it’s less frustrating to play with no skill rust.

It seems a bit odd to me that skill rust seems to be such a frustrating feature when in theory it’s supposed to be balanced with some traits and bionics that you can start with or acquire, especially when by default you start with Int Dependent skill rust.

I just want to start a new character with the most “vanilla” setting possible. I want to play at the “intended” difficulty but of course nobody’s perfect, maybe the devs haven’t found a solution yet for how annoying skill rust is. I don’t want to feel like I’m cheating but I don’t want a frustrating feature to ruin a 100 hours playthrough.

Is skill rust really THAT annoying? Is the game still fair, fun and enjoyable with it? If not, is the capped skill rust option more balanced?

Have you found a better option by modding the game a bit to reduce skill rust degradation to fair levels?

What Skill Rust setting do you use: Off? Vanilla? Capped? Int? IntCap?

Off is fun. Anything other than off is an annoyance.

Off. Completely off. I play with 91-day seasons and I cannot be bothered to practice changing a tire, bandaging wounds, cooking, tailoring, searching bushes, and fighting all at the same time to prevent my skills from degrading. In real life a person would not lose their skills and forget techniques that quickly, especially in an intense survival situation.

Pfff people that are annoyed by it … i do not understand… puny humans.
i have it set to int.
It never annoyed me.

Without skill rust the game would become even easier at the start… Once you got the cbm you at least have something to use up your energy for ^^

I play with 80 day seasons ^-^

Did you randomly choose 80???

i understand the 91 ~

[quote=“Valpo, post:4, topic:7911”]Pfff people that are annoyed by it … i do not understand… puny humans.
i have it set to int.
It never annoyed me.

Without skill rust the game would become even easier at the start… Once you got the cbm you at least have something to use up your energy for ^^[/quote]

Before finding that CBM, did you have a hard time maintaining your skill levels, especially at higher levels?

I play with 80 day seasons ^-[1]

not using hyperrealistic season lengths

Actually if I wanted to be as accurate as possible I should do 90, because that’s the average length of each season in the northern hemisphere (92 for spring and summer, 88 for fall and winter, average of 90 since we can only select one static season length).

1. /quote ↩︎

Yes it was definatly hard.
Once you go over like 5 it ll start to decay quite fast.
It was no problem for my meele and bow skills though as i constantly used those… my cooking and sewing stayed high enough naturally as well. the other skills i barely ever needed at that point.
If you would realy try to maintain all your skills at high lvl w/o the cbm with skill rust on youd be occupied 24/7 when your at 8+ …

I’m glad I’m not a total dweebzilla for playing with it off.

I play with 80 day seasons ^-[1]

not using hyperrealistic season lengths

Actually if I wanted to be as accurate as possible I should do 90, because that’s the average length of each season in the northern hemisphere (92 for spring and summer, 88 for fall and winter, average of 90 since we can only select one static season length).[/quote]

Eh, it was a random number that sounded right to me. Not too long, not too short.

1. /quote ↩︎

Pfft I use 14 day seasons and still get insanely bored by the spring of the second year (about 60 days of in game time).

I also use the int-cap setting, would use int, were it not for the fact that your characters can forget how to repair solar panels a few days after they installed them.

afaik you can install panels before you can repair them at 6 repair at 8… did i not look closely enough? i ll check on that

tested: yes you can install them at 6 but not repair them.

So if you barely installed them you where not yet able to repair them anyway.

Yeah the repair skill is higher, but as I often install several of them in one go, I end up having 9 mechanics or so.

Well the skillrust is certainly not perfectly realistic ^^

I still leave it on.

Skill rust in this game as it currently stands is actually the opposite of reality.

Realistically, the higher skill you have in any craft, the more that craft becomes a part of you, and the less likely you are to forget it. When you’re first starting out it’s easy to forget stuff.

I use Intelligence Cap. Even with Forgetful and 8 Intelligence it takes a couple days for your skills to start to degrade, from what I’ve noticed anyways.

:O! I am not alone in the world of playing with 91 day seasons. c’:

Was vanilla for a while but got so frustrated trying to find a way to knock up all my skills that 1 percent they fell down because I DARED to not be constructing a house or reverse-engineering a car every hour. Some of them just flat out keep you from doing specific tasks and not being able to do that certain difficulty task when there’s a dozen other now locked crafts you can’t do…

I didn’t turn it off, but i made it so it can’t knock off levels anymore. What’s it called…IntCap i think.

Also I’m doing 30 day seasons for now. I play Don’t Starve a lot so it’s closer to the default season lengths in that game, while also being a fairly comfortable number. (Now if only I could live through an entire month. >->)

Always OFF