Threaten

What about a general “Threaten” command? Just generally waving your weapon around and making noise. Would make certain creatures to flee.

Waving torches or sticks in front of animals to scare them, or threaten NPCs with guns. It’s really a simple concept, i can’t really add much. What do ya think?

Lighting bushes on fire will scare away some creatures, as will yelling at them, and thats almost the same thing

It would be hard to balance properly. Animal morale is already bad: you can scare a bear into wandering near you and taking hits instead of fighting or fleeing.

As for NPCs: it’s even worse, because their relation to player is all permanent. Needs a rewrite, because currently the NPC gets opinion of player at spawn and then keeps it, so player caught naked and wielding a piece of soap will stay un-scary even after equipping power armor and mininuke launcher.

So… maybe someday. It will need to wait post 0.D and 0.D will wait for a longer while (ie. year(s)).

^^^^

My “God” character has around 121 strength with buffs and all, and it immediately makes all wander spawn NPC’s instantly hostile, since they are afraid of my character and just flee rather than talk.

Strength effect caps at +2 fear, it’s not a big deal.
For reference, holding a gun (sling counts) is +6 fear (only +2 if the NPC also has a gun), sapiovore mutation is +10, grotesque mutation is +9.

Unless you have sapiovore or deformed, just unequipping all weapons before the NPC spawns (it has to be at spawn time, not talk time) will do more than strength could.

I do also have full chimera threshold, so I do have sapiovore, apex predator, etc. Also, I mainly use unarmed to fight enemies anyway, so guns aren’t necessarily an issue.

So the absurd strength doesn’t do so much, but sapiovore does… Good to know.

I didn’t know there was such a complex system for that, that’s really quite good. I hope one day the AI is good enough to actually hide instead of running away and that kind of things. Would be great! Anyways, thanks for replying!